PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

Cole Strange is borderline arm length which is 34" ... he is 33.66
I think that needs to be a factor here ... even if he is just a bridge LT for one drafted.
Just throwing that in here .... not sure realistic. If so ... makes a day 2 LT a tangible work in progress.
He is on the light side at a purported 307 ... however is very quick on his feet.
Strange seems like a matt light prototype. I'd be interested to see them try it.

I would not be shocked to see Sow starting Game One at LG.
what about Sow at right tackle? they started him out there in preseason last year. But maybe they didn't like what they saw. Be great to put big Mike back inside.

This mock draft has 8 tackles and 1 center taken in the 1st round. Who would be "left" if the Pats trade down or take a QB at #3?
Any OL starters left for day 2?
The Ringer's 2024 NFL Mock Draft

According to this list if the Pats stick at #34 then we are looking at maybe Jordan Morgan but more likely Kingsley Suamataia, as mentioned above. The can't afford to wait any longer than this to draft a tackle.

Should the Pats go WR at #34, there is a big dropoff if they wait until the third round. Kiran Amegadjie is the #11 ranked OT, and he would go somewhere in the second round. Blake Fisher is the next OT, ranked #90 on their Big Board, and he would might be gone as well. That leaves a lower tier of OTs such as Roger Rosengarten (Washington), Javon Foster (Missouri), Matt Goncalves (Pitt) and Christian Jones (Texas). None of those players are good enough for what the Pats need. Drafting a WR before an OT would be a huge mistake, from what I can see.

Tyron Smith and David Bakhtiari both good when healthy but will definitely miss games.
Maybe take a flier on Mekhi Becton. There was a reason he was selected 11 overall.
More of a right tackle but Yosh Nijman was pretty good a couple years ago but not so much last year
Just go with younger players and see which one sticks . This is just an audition for next year. If we get our offensive line solicited with rookies and other team members by end of season we can seriously look to compete next year if we deem that drake maye is fit for us.

If we draft a QB at 3 I think it's foolish to think that we can fix our OT and WR situation in the same draft. I know we need a tackle in the worst way, but I think the value is better at WR at pick 34 (assuming the board plays out as expected). Give me WR Ladd McConkey at pick 34 (arguably a first round talent in other years) and then cobble together what we can at tackle later in the draft. Then go all in for OT in 2025.

According to this list if the Pats stick at #34 then we are looking at maybe Jordan Morgan but more likely Kingsley Suamataia, as mentioned above. The can't afford to wait any longer than this to draft a tackle.

Should the Pats go WR at #34, there is a big dropoff if they wait until the third round. Kiran Amegadjie is the #11 ranked OT, and he would go somewhere in the second round. Blake Fisher is the next OT, ranked #90 on their Big Board, and he would might be gone as well. That leaves a lower tier of OTs such as Roger Rosengarten (Washington), Javon Foster (Missouri), Matt Goncalves (Pitt) and Christian Jones (Texas). None of those players are good enough for what the Pats need. Drafting a WR before an OT would be a huge mistake, from what I can see.
If they determine that Sumataia is developmental, they might be better off just going WR. This is why getting veteran LTs is imperative for them right now.

If they're not going to sign Oli Udoh or Yosh Nijman (both?), they should give Andre Dillard a one year "show me" deal... although they'd probably/definitely be safer with those ^ other guys.

Whether they sign one or more of these guys, they should still draft an OT in the first two rounds.

Last edited:
what about Sow at right tackle? they started him out there in preseason last year. But maybe they didn't like what they saw. Be great to put big Mike back inside.

I remember hearing the initial plan for sow was to make him the rt eventually. Would certainly be ideal

I remember hearing the initial plan for sow was to make him the rt eventually. Would certainly be ideal
I think he could swap with Onwenu, it was probably safer to have him bookended by two vets last season. With a year of experience, I could see him kick outside.

If not they'd be good with Onwenu, he's only 6'3," but he's got one the widest wingspans on the team.

You should be
Remembered wrong
Gonna leave here now and run for POTUS along with the rest of my age group

That makes be feel better, thought I missed someone...Light 2nd, Solder 1st, Brown Trade, Wynn 1st Brown Trade.

Roughly 70% of starting LTs in the NFL were drafted in the first two rounds.

We had the Sow discussion all camp. I don't think he has the skills for tackle, but is a decent guard who could become elite.

They paid Onwenu like a tackle. I thought he did well there. Why move him?

If we draft a QB at 3 I think it's foolish to think that we can fix our OT and WR situation in the same draft. I know we need a tackle in the worst way, but I think the value is better at WR at pick 34 (assuming the board plays out as expected). Give me WR Ladd McConkey at pick 34 (arguably a first round talent in other years) and then cobble together what we can at tackle later in the draft. Then go all in for OT in 2025.

I spend all day on harsh reality. Admitting that you are right is very difficult. Sigh.

Kraft too busy telling everyone how great he is and responsible for the dynasty to pay for players

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back