PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Corey Mays claimed off waivers by Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this, their best LB tore his achilles and is is out for the season. Happened on the second play of yesterday's game. I knew he was hurt just not this bad.

Posted: 20 minutes ago
Bengals put LB Marshall on injured list with torn Achilles' tendon
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals placed linebacker Lemar Marshall on injured reserve Tuesday, a day after he tore the Achilles' tendon in his left leg during a 34-13 loss to New England.

The Bengals replaced him by claiming linebacker Corey Mays off waivers from New England. The second-year player appeared in eight games for the Patriots last season, and was placed on waivers before Monday night's game.

Speaking of which...why the Hell didn't we cut Chad Brown to make a spot for Eckel instead?

We need bodies at LB, I wish I could say quality depth but neither Mays or Brown qualify.

We don't want to turn into the Bengals and run short of fresh meat. I think 9 is pretty much the bare minimum of LBs we would like to keep. It would be nice to have at least one on the practice squad as well.

LBs signed beyond 2007
Starters (3) - looks pretty good - Thomas, Colvin, Vrabel
Reserves (2)- thin - Alexander and Woods are until control
Graduation? (4) - Seau, Bruschi, Izzo, Brown? - maybe one of this guys comes back
Leaves a lot of open spots including a starter

Eckel - Why are the love for this guy? Nice story, yes. Good player, no.

We need bodies at LB, I wish I could say quality depth but neither Mays or Brown qualify.
Chad Brown is a waste of a roster spot. Heck, Chad Brown sucked for the Patriots in 2005.

Good for him, and good luck.

Too bad for us.

Wonder why the Rats didn't sign him like they do all are other players?

Just saw this, their best LB tore his achilles and is is out for the season. Happened on the second play of yesterday's game. I knew he was hurt just not this bad.

That's a shame. It didn't look like he even made contact with anyone, just a fluke thing. Now that the Pats have past them on the schedule, I feel kind of sorry for those guys. :bricks:

On the other hand, Mays has himself a nice situation, going from a part-time ST player to a full-time ST and quite possibly starting LB. Good for him.

Maybe Marvin Lewis brought him in to find out how the Pats plan to play the Bengals.

Oh wait.

Regards,
Chris

LOL! The guy is a tad slow. One day he was walking to work and got mugged by a gang of snails. He was at the police department filing a report and the sarge said, "Marvin, tell me exactly what happened." Marv said, "Well I'd like to, but it all happened so fast."

Wouldn't surprise me if BB deliberately let him go to get Mays this opportunity.

Wouldn't surprise me if BB deliberately let him go to get Mays this opportunity.

It wouldn't suprise me one bit....BB is a class act....

Well, before the Bengals got hurt in the game, there wasn't any such opportunity. So I don't know if that was a factor.

I suspect Belichick had decided Mays would be the one to go when Rodney came back this week, so when we needed RB depth for the Cincy game he was the obvious candidate.

You mean soft and cuddly Bill? Lay off the crack.

His focus (entire focus) is to improve the Patriots, he cut Mays and kept the 53 players he thought would help the team win. Anytime a player is cut or waived there is a chance he gets picked up by another team.

I agree with cstj17 and AT56. I was, let's just say, disappointed that Mays and Alexander and Izzo - not to mention Chad Brown - were all back on the 53 this season.

Losing Mays to the bungles may perhaps provide the FO with the incentive to find a young ILB with talent, pedigree and upside - three attributes which poor Corey is lacking.

Well the Bungles are desperate for some healthy bodies at LB so this move makes sense.

So does this mean that the Pats will draft a LB #1 next year? You'd be reading way too much into this. Don't get your hopes up. The Pats will draft the best player for their team next year, no matter the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes