PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Antonio Appleby released

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 OLBs, 5 ILBs. Definitely thin for camp numbers...but camp's not here yet. ;)
Actually it's 11....plus McKenzie...who will be on IR. It's a bit thin to start camp, I agree..but it might be that STers Alexander and Ciurciu are closer to legitimate backups. Time will tell. Obvious Appleby was quite a ways from making it.

Actually it's 11....plus McKenzie...who will be on IR. It's a bit thin to start camp, I agree..but it might be that STers Alexander and Ciurciu are closer to legitimate backups. Time will tell. Obvious Appleby was quite a ways from making it.

I had counted 10 by leaving off Ciurciu, based on the reports that he was sticking with ST groups even when the LBs were drilling elsewhere in OTAs. But yes, Appleby must have been a washout to be shown the door so quickly. It's easy to get spoiled by the Guytons and Woodses and forget that most high-profile UDFAs went undrafted for a reason. Freddie Roach redux?

Binky released, board implodes. News at 10.

I'm guessing he wasn't the Patriots favorite neighbor? ;)

Last edited:
I read this move as a harbinger of a player coming to the patriots we all will like.

Last edited:
Obviously, this is pure speculation but BB has said that this OTA was NOT for evaluating players as atheletes but basicly to introduce them to the system and assess their grasp. Perhaps this Apple person somehow showed either basic inability to learn or indifference and disinterest in learning the Patriots' style ILB basics? It's not unusual for some young atheletes to have an attitude problem.

He was a longshot at best. No one around the UVa football program would have predicted he could play pro football. He was a good college linebacker, that's it.

Obviously, this is pure speculation but BB has said that this OTA was NOT for evaluating players as atheletes but basicly to introduce them to the system and assess their grasp. Perhaps this Apple person somehow showed either basic inability to learn or indifference and disinterest in learning the Patriots' style ILB basics? It's not unusual for some young atheletes to have an attitude problem.

I had counted 10 by leaving off Ciurciu, based on the reports that he was sticking with ST groups even when the LBs were drilling elsewhere in OTAs. But yes, Appleby must have been a washout to be shown the door so quickly. It's easy to get spoiled by the Guytons and Woodses and forget that most high-profile UDFAs went undrafted for a reason. Freddie Roach redux?
It may be true about Ciurciu...but it might be he is a bit more an ILB than Izzo..and just concentrating on teams..I agree...he was a washout...as was Roach who many thought had it. The transition from college to pro has many non-football issues that also need to be worked out....as said below...

I totally agree..maybe non football issues...really hard to make that jump sometime..some not ready at all...Bethel Johnson ring a bell???

Last edited:
Six pages on Appleby being cut. He's got a long way to go to catch Adam Seward, but he's well on his way.

Six pages on Appleby being cut. He's got a long way to go to catch Adam Seward, but he's well on his way.

I agree that cutting Appleby should be a non item. He didn't look
that good so he was cut. The thing that some of us question is why
haven't the Patriots added a few more bodies to the linebacker position
which currently is 11 healthy bodies. Also, why are Barnes and White
still on the roster even though they weren't at the OTAs or mini-camp?
Someone suggested they might be retained until the final roster cuts even though they can not participate in training camp. This way they could be
tagged military/reserve for the future. Neither of these guys is a future Staubach.

He was a longshot at best. No one around the UVa football program would have predicted he could play pro football. He was a good college linebacker, that's it.

He wasn't all that good in college either. Stiff and slow with minimal instincts. Maybe BB signed him as a favor to Al Groh.

Anybody that believes players are not evaluated in mini camps and OTA's is not paying attention to just how competitive the NFL has become.

I have never given a crap who was at the end of the depth chart at any of the positions. Figuring out who it is going to be is useless to me ... it's a revolving door ... it is what it is.

Looks like he didn't beat out Guyton, Bruschi, Lenon or Ciurciu. There's always the practice squad... maybe.

Last edited:
IcyPatriot

I have never given a crap who was at the end of the depth chart at any of the positions. Figuring out who it is going to be is useless to me ... it's a revolving door ... it is what it is.
How did you get so many posts if you don't care about discussing the Pats in depth? What do you post about usually?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back