PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot LB Tyrone McKenzie cut by Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Tyrone McKenzie, the third round pick of the Patriots in the 2009 draft has been released by Tampa Bay.

I know some are down on him here for asking for his release, but he did seem like a very mature and upstanding young guy. I can't help but wonder how much that freak knee injury in his very first minicamp, before he even had a chance to sign a contract derailed his athleticism.

The Bucs did not re-sign their starting MLB from 2010, in part I believe because Tampa Bay had McKenzie penciled in to take his place. But rookie Mason Foster - the guy who was fined for the helmet-to-helmit hit on Ochocinco - quickly took over the starting role once camp began. Yesterday they tried McKenzie at OLB against the Redskins, but apparently he failed to impress there as well.

Might not be a bad guy to bring back onto the practice squad in case Mayo or Fletcher ever go down.

Hard worker, great motor, very responsible and mature kid......and he knows the system here (and can get up on the "tweaks" for this season). Problem was he just never got healthy quickly enough for the Pats in time for last season.

Last edited:
Wait so they have him penciled in as the starter.

He gets beat out as the starter and thus they have no need for him? Back up? STs?

Something doesnt add up.

I think it's official, we've now had more 2nd and 3rd round busts in the last 3 years in the history of football:

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Butler (Hanging on by a thread)
Did I miss anyone else?

So much for the trade down policy, why don't we just stick with Round 1 or trading up to get into Round 1.

I think it's official, we've now had more 2nd and 3rd round busts in the last 3 years in the history of football:

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Did I miss anyone else?

So much for the trade down policy, why don't we just stick with Round 1 or trading up to get into Round 1.

Chad Jackson says "hi"
Ron Brace is about to say "hi" ditto for Brandon Tate

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Did I miss anyone else?

We have some busts, because we have a lot of picks...

Gronkowski, Spikes, Chung, Vollmer, Deion Branch and Matt Light all say hi.. while Dowling and Vereen are knocking at the door.

The draft is a crap shoot, and for every team there are as many hits as misses.. 'member Vernon Gholston.

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Did I miss anyone else?

riddle me this...do you have a link or some stats to back up that claim?

Sign the beast.....

........... Oh wait, we've already been down that road. :D

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Did I miss anyone else?

Since wandanangelo state and the douche awry refuse to go elsewhere, the roster is already completely stocked with "contrarians" who comment with shall we say.....questionable insight.

(Actually, the douche has been pretty insightful lately and does come up with a periodic gem)

The McKenzie pick was compensatory- Can't trade.

Let's trade- to whom exactly? Someday it might dawn that trades do require two parties to execute.

A review of the 3rd/4th rounds in 2008, shows a less than stellar success rate.

Considering your posting success rate, I would highly recommend shying away from success rate comparisons.

Tyrone McKenzie, the third round pick of the Patriots in the 2009 draft has been released by Tampa Bay.

I know some are down on him here for asking for his release, but he did seem like a very mature and upstanding young guy. I can't help but wonder how much that freak knee injury in his very first minicamp, before he even had a chance to sign a contract derailed his athleticism.

The Bucs did not re-sign their starting MLB from 2010, in part I believe because Tampa Bay had McKenzie penciled in to take his place. But rookie Mason Foster - the guy who was fined for the helmet-to-helmit hit on Ochocinco - quickly took over the starting role once camp began. Yesterday they tried McKenzie at OLB against the Redskins, but apparently he failed to impress there as well.

He's just not very good. He's been released twice in a year for a reason, outplayed by UDFA Fletcher last year and Foster this year. Thought he would be better than he is.

That Williams guy sucked. In 1941, he failed 6 out every 10 times.:eek:

.......plus he failed to shoot down any Japanese,North Korean or Red Chinese planes in FIVE friggin' years,as a Marine pilot.....20/10 vision,my ass......What a waste of a draft pick!:help:

Ted Larsen not cut yet,he is hanging on

Gronkowski, Spikes, Chung, Vollmer, Deion Branch and Matt Light all say hi.. while Dowling and Vereen are knocking at the door.

The draft is a crap shoot, and for every team there are as many hits as misses.. 'member Vernon Gholston.

This is the kind of attitude that can get you black listed around here- STOP being so damn factual, especially with a slightly positive view point.

;)

Tyrone had an amazing neck.

I'm kind of surprised. The talk down there almost a month to the day ago had him battling for a role as a potential starter for them:

Five training camp battles to watch – T.B.s Buc Shots - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL - Archive

It just goes to show you just how long the preseason really is - and how quickly things can change :cool:

O'Connell
Wheatley
McKenzie
Crable
Did I miss anyone else?

I know dude, BB really sucks at draft strategy. Hey, no school on Monday, cool! See you Tuesday.

I don't know why we ever picked that guy. I remember when we drafted him in the third round and Jasper Brinkley was still available I was like "WTF". I saw a good amount of McKenzie in USF and he did not look like an NFL LB even against weak Big East competition.

Not a fan of Vereen. Ridley though he's a star in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back