PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Aaron Curry on the trade block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBelichickFan79

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Tacoma News Tribune - LB Aaron Curry demoted in favor of K.J. WRight

Earlier this season during training camp the Seahawks restructured Curry’s contract, making it easier to part ways with the underperforming linebacker at season’s end if they choose.

Curry agreed to cut his rookie deal from six to four years.

In return for giving up $5 million in guaranteed salary Curry’s due to make in 2012, he can become a free agent at the end of that season – two years earlier at the age of 27.

By season’s end, Curry will have earned $28.25 million in guaranteed money over 2 ½ years of the six-year, $60 million deal he originally signed with Seattle’s previous regime in August 2009.

Because Curry’s salary is not guaranteed in 2012, the Seahawks could release him in February without any financial obligation. The restructured deal also makes it easier to for Seattle to move Curry in a trade.

Read more: LB Aaron Curry demoted in favor of K.J. Wright | Seahawks Insider

ESPN NFC West Blog - Chat Wrap with Mike Sando

Haz from San Diego wants to know whether I think the Seahawks will try to trade Aaron Curry to get value for him.

Mike Sando: Yes, I think the Seahawks would be amenable to that sort of deal. They said as much through their actions when they shortened his contract in exchange for lowering some of the guaranteed money. Curry played pretty well against the 49ers in the opener. He's not necessarily finished in Seattle. But I do think the Seahawks would like to get value for him instead of just watching him walk in free agency after the 2012 season. A trade would not necessarily have to happen now, though.

Rotoworld - Aaron Curry Player News

Former No. 4 overall pick Aaron Curry has lost his starting strong-side linebacker job to rookie K.J. Wright.
Athletic and productive at Wake Forest, Curry was highly regarded in the scouting community entering the 2009 draft. He's failed to make impact plays in Seattle, though, managing just 5.5 sacks and one interception as a 30-game starter the past two seasons. He had been removed from nickel packages after a dropped interception and blown coverage last week. The Tacoma News Tribune suggests Curry could go on the trade block. With no guaranteed money left on his contract, Curry can be released in 2012.

Things to consider:
  • The current LB corps still lacks some talent/playmaking ability
  • Curry was probably one of the most sought after players from a Patriots perspective in the 2009 draft
  • Many fans/draftniks were very high on Curry
  • A lot of people were hoping we would trade Cassel either straight up or in a package for the #3 overall pick to grab Curry
  • The criticism has been that he has not lived up to his lofty draft status and has failed to turn into a playmaker
  • A lot of people said the same thing about Mayo after an injury marred 2009 -- will he ever be a "playmaker"?
  • On the surface, Curry would appear to be an upgrade over Guyton and Fletcher, and maybe Spikes too
  • He has been credited for having good pass coverage skills -- something we currently lack in the LB corps as Spikes is more of a two down player and Guyton is a mediocre coverage LB
  • Maybe a fresh start in a place where he doesn't have a great deal of pressure/expectations stamped on him would benefit him and help him realize his potential
  • He is familiar with and has played in a 4-3 for his whole career
  • Still only 25 years old.

Personally, I wouldn't be against looking into a trade for Curry. I admittedly have not seen him play much at all since he's been in the NFL, but I do remember how highly touted he was.

I've also felt this team has been a bit thin on linebacking talent for the past few years. Aside from Mayo, I think there is room to improve, and I've been in favor of bringing in a guy like Tatupu to bring some more talent to the LB corps.

With no guaranteed money coming to him in 2012, if the price were right, I'd be very interested in seeing what he could do for the Pats.

Would you be interested in trading for Curry?

Why or why not?

What would you be willing to give up?

Last edited:
How often does NE make trades during the season? I do believe last year was a bit of a rarity unloading Maroney and Moss while picking up Branch, anyone have a list of trades made after the regular season has started?

I'm all for anyone who can help and be productive but I don't see it being likely.

We were interesting in a 43 SAM LB (a spot he played at Wake Forest) when we were running a 3-4? Since when?

dudes got all the tools but no instructions manual, he's incapable of playing in an nfl defense because he can't comprehend an nfl playbook. no way could he play in belichick's system

Depends on if the Pats like him for their system. With the switch to more 4-3 fronts, maybe there is a place for Curry on this team. But there's a reason that Seattle is looking to dump him. I wouldn't give up much at all for Curry at this point. He looked good coming into the draft, but a lot of players, highly touted, just don't pan out. For example, Vernon Gholston.

I don't normally jump on this stuff. But if this is true i would take a serious look at trying to get this guy, he's young and has a bunch of talent. He hasn't busted just hasn't become a premier linebacker for the seahawks.

He is a great talent at a position of need for the pats and you just never know what BB could do with someone like him. he restructured his deal so obvioulsy want out of Seattle.

This is the best and most realistic of the "lets get this guy" scenarios that has come onto this board. It could let Mayo go to MLB or have Curry and mayo on the outside with Fletcher or Spikes inside.

I say Trade for the beast

Also just looked up his stats he has started every game bar 2 since his rookie season and seems to have good all round production with 73 tackles 3.5 sacks and a pass defensed last year (his 1st full season as a starter) As a rookie in 12 games starting he has 61 tackles 2 sacks and 6 passes defensed. I really am excited by this possability

Last edited:
Depends on if the Pats like him for their system. With the switch to more 4-3 fronts, maybe there is a place for Curry on this team. But there's a reason that Seattle is looking to dump him. I wouldn't give up much at all for Curry at this point. He looked good coming into the draft, but a lot of players, highly touted, just don't pan out. For example, Vernon Gholston.

Yes but unlike vernon, curry actually has had some production, as i said before 134 tackles 5.5 sacks and 7 passes defensed in his 1st 2 years is not exactly shabby.

I can't see them bringing this guy in. It's too late for him to come in here and be a prodctive player. Bring him in to what end? So he can sit for the rest of the season while he learns his playbook?

We are decimated at the safety and offensive line, one injury away from being thin at the defensive line. If anyone hasn't noticed the 53 man roster has been shuffled quite a bit recently with the injuries. No way in in damnation they bring this kid in unless they think they can turn him on a 180 tomorrow.

I don't normally jump on this stuff. But if this is true i would take a serious look at trying to get this guy, he's young and has a bunch of talent. He hasn't busted just hasn't become a premier linebacker for the seahawks.

He is a great talent at a position of need for the pats and you just never know what BB could do with someone like him. he restructured his deal so obvioulsy want out of Seattle.

This is the best and most realistic of the "lets get this guy" scenarios that has come onto this board. It could let Mayo go to MLB or have Curry and mayo on the outside with Fletcher or Spikes inside.

I say Trade for the beast

Also just looked up his stats he has started every game bar 2 since his rookie season and seems to have good all round production with 73 tackles 3.5 sacks and a pass defensed last year (his 1st full season as a starter) As a rookie in 12 games starting he has 61 tackles 2 sacks and 6 passes defensed. I really am excited by this possability

I liked Curry coming out of WF. The wrap on him is that he has trouble in coverage and is some what stiff. As VJC noted, one has to wonder if his team is trying to move him, especially after only after a couple of seasons. On a positive note, he would offer some more athleticism to the LB position. I could see him playing outside in our 4-3.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure the time is right. Would love to see what BB can make out of this guy.

I can't see them bringing this guy in. It's too late for him to come in here and be a prodctive player. Bring him in to what end? So he can sit for the rest of the season while he learns his playbook?

We are decimated at the safety and offensive line, one injury away from being thin at the defensive line. If anyone hasn't noticed the 53 man roster has been shuffled quite a bit recently with the injuries. No way in in damnation they bring this kid in unless they think they can turn him on a 180 tomorrow.

Don't know enough about Curry to be or or against, but how can you possibly cite the bold as a reason against? Every year throughout the season the Pats bring in guys off the street who contribute to the team. The list is so obvious I won't even bother as anyone on this board can probably name 10 off the top of their head.

I wouldn't be interested until after the season.

we're 2-0...yeah...I think it's time to panic and trade for a Pete Carroll extra piece...let's give him 2 first rounders

we're 2-0...yeah...I think it's time to panic and trade for a Pete Carroll extra piece...let's give him 2 first rounders

How would trading for a guy you believe could help make your team better constitute panicking?

I don't believe it....

We were interesting in a 43 SAM LB (a spot he played at Wake Forest) when we were running a 3-4? Since when?

Just because you can name the position the guy played in college doesn't mean you can adequately assess how he translates to the NFL. If you think that makes you sound smarter than everyone else, well, it doesn't.

For years we heard the same bullcrap about how the Pats can't draft a LB in the first round b/c no one fits their scheme. There were even conflicting opinions on Mayo in the media before the 08 draft. Some thought he could play in a 3-4, some thought he was a weakside linebacker in a cover 2 scheme due to his speed/athleticism.

Go back and search some of the 2009 draft topics. When there was a rumor of the Pats trading up to #8 with Jacksonville, people were clamoring for Curry if he slid. MayoClinic, a well respected former poster on the draft forum, had a "dream pairing" of Mayo and Curry inside.

If you go back and look at how many people were talking about Mayo before the 08 draft and how many were talking about Curry before the 09 draft, I bet a lot more people were hoping to get a shot a Curry than they were at Mayo.

The fact that he played 4-3 SAM actually made him seem to be a BETTER fit on the surface than Mayo. Mayo played a lot of 4-3 WILL at Tennessee and there were some questions regarding his ability to be as physical as our "two gapping 3-4" required. Sometimes these college 4-3 WILL's are like Sean Spence on Miami - lightning fast but not nearly physical enough to hold up in a scheme like the Pats in the NFL. Better suited for a Tampa 2 scheme like the Colts and Bucs ran.

Curry was a 6'2 250 pound monster. He had a thick build, long arms, and was often lauded for his ability to stack and shed. People did not have doubts about his ability to hold up physically at the POA in this defense, and coupled with his 4.55 speed felt he would be the perfect guy to put with Mayo for the next 5-7 years. A lot of people felt he was a perfect fit for this 3-4 defense.

Just because you can name the position the guy played in college doesn't mean you can adequately assess how he translates to the NFL. If you think that makes you sound smarter than everyone else, well, it doesn't.

For years we heard the same bullcrap about how the Pats can't draft a LB in the first round b/c no one fits their scheme. There were even conflicting opinions on Mayo in the media before the 08 draft. Some thought he could play in a 3-4, some thought he was a weakside linebacker in a cover 2 scheme due to his speed/athleticism.

Go back and search some of the 2009 draft topics. When there was a rumor of the Pats trading up to #8 with Jacksonville, people were clamoring for Curry if he slid. MayoClinic, a well respected former poster on the draft forum, had a "dream pairing" of Mayo and Curry inside.

If you go back and look at how many people were talking about Mayo before the 08 draft and how many were talking about Curry before the 09 draft, I bet a lot more people were hoping to get a shot a Curry than they were at Mayo.

The fact that he played 4-3 SAM actually made him seem to be a BETTER fit on the surface than Mayo. Mayo played a lot of 4-3 WILL at Tennessee and there were some questions regarding his ability to be as physical as our "two gapping 3-4" required. Sometimes these college 4-3 WILL's are like Sean Spence on Miami - lightning fast but not nearly physical enough to hold up in a scheme like the Pats in the NFL. Better suited for a Tampa 2 scheme like the Colts and Bucs ran.

Curry was a 6'2 250 pound monster. He had a thick build, long arms, and was often lauded for his ability to stack and shed. People did not have doubts about his ability to hold up physically at the POA in this defense, and coupled with his 4.55 speed felt he would be the perfect guy to put with Mayo for the next 5-7 years. A lot of people felt he was a perfect fit for this 3-4 defense.

Want a snickers bar?

Things to consider:
  • A lot of people said the same thing about Mayo after an injury marred 2009 -- will he ever be a "playmaker"?
  • On the surface, Curry would appear to be an upgrade over Guyton and Fletcher, and maybe Spikes too
  • He has been credited for having good pass coverage skills -- something we currently lack in the LB corps as Spikes is more of a two down player and Guyton is a mediocre coverage LB
  • Maybe a fresh start in a place where he doesn't have a great deal of pressure/expectations stamped on him would benefit him and help him realize his potential

If we're grading Guyton as "a mediocre coverage LB" just based on his performance in Miami (where his biggest mistake was an insane catch by Fasano) than we should take a moment to let him prove himself again because he is actually regarded as a coverage linebacker by many.

I think Curry would be a great player to have for maybe sometime in the future, but in no way would I hope he replaces Guyton.

Gholston and Curry have nothing in common; Curry's actually contributed quite a bit as an NFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back