PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Lawrence Guy & Adrian Phillips Released

Another area the pats have to modernize in terms of roster construction is not overpaying depth players. Your 3rd safety & 3rd DT should either be players on rookie deals or vet min contracts. Releasing guy & phillips is a good start atleast.

Agree with your overall point of not overpaying depth but totally disagree with including 3rd DT there. Those big boys need their snap counts managed so 3rd DT is a key rotational defensive line piece and not something that needs to be filled that cheaply.

Now Phillips as probably the 4th safety on the team last year... yeah. That's depth you don't overpay for.

Agree with your overall point of not overpaying depth but totally disagree with including 3rd DT there. Those big boys need their snap counts managed so 3rd DT is a key rotational defensive line piece and not something that needs to be filled that cheaply.

Now Phillips as probably the 4th safety on the team last year... yeah. That's depth you don't overpay for.
Any player over 30, shouldn’t be feeling too comfortable.

100 percent.

JC Jackson, Devante Parker can’t be far behind can they?
Like Juju, Pats may be stuck with Parker as he has a dead cap hit of $6.3M. They may just take the hit to get rid of him, but 2025 is more likely.

Juju has a $12.6M dead cap hit. Ouch!

Another area the pats have to modernize in terms of roster construction is not overpaying depth players. Your 3rd safety & 3rd DT should either be players on rookie deals or vet min contracts. Releasing guy & phillips is a good start atleast.
The issue is that Phillips was actually the 4th safety last year. Dugger played 98% of the snaps, Peppers 84%, and Mills 40%. The 3rd safety is a really significant rotational guy in the Pats scheme, which I’m assuming they’ll keep next year. Agree with paying little for the 4th safety (maybe Mapu next year?) who gets 12% of the snaps, but they need a solid player for their 3rd safety. Pats played in dime in 23% of the snaps last year which was 3rd highest in the NFL, and they did a lot of it with 3 safeties rather than 4 CBs.

You are forgetting Bledsoe who will play a lot this season. Add marte mapu.

I wouldn't pay Dugger considering the position and his age and the fact thatvwe are not competing for next 2 years .

I would much rather sign somebody with high upside in 24 or 25 years of age to a 4 year contract right now. And yeah keep rolling over 30 million of cap space every year till we find our Qb of future . We will have a chance with higgins or pittman or another receiver in 2025. So wait it out. We don't need to do a 2021 again this year . Remain conservative and sign mid floor high ceiling vets from poorly managed teams .

I would try to get Chris Jones if the Chefs don't tag him
Why would he want to sign here? You would have to majorly overpay... Let's see how much barmore gets

They’ll probably release Jackson tomorrow. But, if he is of sound mind and body and wants to continue his career, you’d think the best place for him to do that would be here. A restructure with a minimal salary and NLTBE incentives might be an option to an outright release.

It was time to move on. They both are aging and slowing down. Additional cap is a bonus.
Yeah I think they were the right moves, I was just joking.

They’ll probably release Jackson tomorrow. But, if he is of sound mind and body and wants to continue his career, you’d think the best place for him to do that would be here. A restructure with a minimal salary and NLTBE incentives might be an option to an outright release.
I think that is what's most likely. They're holding onto him angling for a restructure instead. Cut salary to near-minimum with NLTBE incentive escalators for playing time that would get him back to his original salary. Leave 2025 as it is as a further incentive.

Like Juju, Pats may be stuck with Parker as he has a dead cap hit of $6.3M. They may just take the hit to get rid of him, but 2025 is more likely.

Juju has a $12.6M dead cap hit. Ouch!

Juju and Parker are here, unless we can somehow trade them.

No sense to cut either, unless there is absolutely nothing left.

100 percent.

JC Jackson, Devante Parker can’t be far behind can they?
Yeah.. same here. Parker and juju both got 3 year deals last season.. I don't see both on this roster.. it's a mystery why JC is still here.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back