PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last yr we were overloaded at WR , this yr are we thin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys have Randy Moss and Wes Welker and you're complaining about being thin at WR?!

Wish I had that problem with my Jags. :(

I kid, I kid. Seriously, I think you'll be fine; besides after that loss that shall not be specifically named, I think Belichick may want to balance the offense a bit and run the ball more. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
we're one injury away from being thin, pray to your lucky stars. I'm fine with how our WRs look now though.

For the "yes we are thin at WR" crowd:

What team exactly has depth at wide receiver after #3?

For the "Chad Jackson is a bust" crowd:

Don't disservice Bethel in comparison talk. Bethel caught a playoff TD, caught a bomb from Brady in the Seahawks game to continue the eventual 21 streak, won a super bowl ring (or 2) and returned an epic kick off against our arch rivals as time expired in the first half. That alone is puts him in a different class than CJ. Plus they never had so much invested in Bethel to the point that it actually caused the team to lose (unlike CJ who had the weight on the world on him when Deion was traded which basically caused the Pats to drop the AFCCG with bug eyes out there).

For the "no we are fine at wide out" crowd:

Bingo. We have a few winners.

Don't disservice Bethel in comparison talk. Bethel caught a playoff TD, caught a bomb from Brady in the Seahawks game to continue the eventual 21 streak, won a super bowl ring (or 2) and returned an epic kick off against our arch rivals as time expired in the first half. That alone is puts him in a different class than CJ. Plus they never had so much invested in Bethel to the point that it actually caused the team to lose (unlike CJ who had the weight on the world on him when Deion was traded which basically caused the Pats to drop the AFCCG with bug eyes out there).

You're right. Go watch 3GTG 2 (and 3, I think) and you'll see alot of Bethel.

You guys have Randy Moss and Wes Welker and you're complaining about being thin at WR?!

I kid, I kid. Seriously, I think you'll be fine; besides after that loss that shall not be specifically named, I think Belichick may want to balance the offense a bit and run the ball more. Just my opinion.

stick around...you make sense.

BTW...the jags have big wideouts,tough qb and an excellent defense.

Belichick,Brady and Bob Kraft make the difference,IMO

stick around...you make sense.

BTW...the jags have big wideouts,tough qb and an excellent defense.

Belichick,Brady and Bob Kraft make the difference,IMO

you're right. it starts at the top. no way are we thin at wr w/moss, welker, gaffney along w/washington and aiken at 4 and 5.

Can't say I agree with the idea we're lacking at WR.

Troy Brown didn't see any snaps at WR, whilst Donte's production is replaceable either through one of the other WR's stepping up (Washington, Jackson, Aiken), or by using more screens with Maroney, Faulk etc. I think Maroney can be for us what Jackson is for the Rams.

Last edited:
Moss, Gaffney, Jackson and Welker. I'd say barring any injuries thats excellent. I bet a good few head coaches in this league would wet their undies having that corps.

I think we'll see alot more running the ball this year too.

Can't say I agree with the idea we're lacking at WR.

Troy Brown didn't see any snaps at WR, whilst Donte's production is replaceable either through one of the other WR's stepping up (Washington, Jackson, Aiken), or by using more screens with Maroney, Faulk etc. I think Maroney can be for us what Jackson is for the Rams.

If you mean in pass catching ability, sure, I'll buy that. But Jackson is a tougher runner than Maroney. Plus, Maroney won't ever see the carry numbers that Jackson gets, not if we keep Morris, Jordan, and Faulk. I think we could see three RBs in the 700-800 yd range this season if they all stay healthy.

Really...the WRs will be fine barring injury...I am not giving up on Jackson yet..first real camp.(no injuries) .a focus on him..so every small thing is magnified..I think he will be OK..but time will tell...he didn't have a good first game..but I think if Brady had been at the helm..different. We will see what Game 2 brings..

Lamont is an excellent pass catching RB as is Faulk. If Thomas stays healthy, we have 2 excellent pass catching TEs. After the big 3 at WR, it does not matter much who is #4; the're aren't enough balls to go around. Every other WR in camp is pretty much indistinguishable, from CJ Jones thru the rest of the crowd.

Were Moss to go down, he's unique and irreplaceable. Welker almost so, except that The Gaffer seems to be able to play the slot. Maybe BB is developing one of the kids, Slater, Ventrone his binky, as an emergency fill in for that role.

Last edited:
Lamont is an excellent pass catching RB as is Faulk. If Thomas stays healthy, we have 2 excellent pass catching TEs. After the big 3 at WR, it does not matter much who is #4; the're aren't enough balls to go around. Every other WR in camp is pretty much indistinguishable, from CJ Jones thru the rest of the crowd.

Were Moss to go down, he's unique and irreplaceable. Welker almost so, except that The Gaffer seems to be able to play the slot. Maybe BB is developing one of the kids, Slater, Ventrone his binky, as an emergency fill in for that role.

I thought Ventrone looked tough and Slater looked pretty sure handed aside from the one drop. If we go extreme and go five wide, I think both of them would fill in nicely. Not to mention we usually use Faulk as the 5th wideout in those packages, which makes sense because you can audible him back behind the line to run or pass protect if Brady sees something.

That means a five wide set would consist of Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Slater/Ventrone, Faulk. I'm happy with that.

It's not clearcut.
3. Aiken's not on IR yet. But I agree that's a worry.

I'd have to say he'd already be on IR if that were the case. Look how fast they got Tank on IR. The team is thin at OL and DB right now for practice. If a player was heading to IR, it would happen right away so they could bring in more bodies to camp.

I agree...Ventrone/Slater are not bad as a 5th wide..Ventrone made a big play catching a ball and getting his feet down quick..and HE has not played WR for many years..I think with coaching he could surprise..a 4th 5th...might not gtet many passes...but if he's sure handed and runs the right routes..he might not have many..but may have some bog ones. If Jackson improves..that is only a big plus. I am sure there are many plans..

Thin at WR? We're as good as last year, the best pass offense in the history of the NFL.

Moss is one of the best receivers in the league.
Welker is one of the best slot receivers in the league.
Gaffney was clicking with Brady by midseason last year and should take Stallworth's reps.
Washington may be the best #4 in the league, but we don't need him, barring injury.
One of Jackson/Slater/Aiken is as good a #5 as other teams have.
----------------------

Also, Morris is back and we added Jordan. Faulk is a premier receiver and is often a WR on certain sets, as is Watson. Maroney and Evans are also fine as outlet receivers. Thomas completes our set of receivers (not counting our #3 TE, Hochstein and Vrabel).

I thought Ventrone looked tough and Slater looked pretty sure handed aside from the one drop. If we go extreme and go five wide, I think both of them would fill in nicely. Not to mention we usually use Faulk as the 5th wideout in those packages, which makes sense because you can audible him back behind the line to run or pass protect if Brady sees something.

That means a five wide set would consist of Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Slater/Ventrone, Faulk. I'm happy with that.

That's a great 5 wide lineup. Faulk over Jordan because of the experience blocking for The Franchise. Beats having Evans wide as they did several times last year.

I don't think we're thin at wide receiver at all. The only thing I wonder is who is going to line up across from Moss? Welker and Gaffney do most of their damage in the slot and I think the team will keep both of them there this year.

That's a great 5 wide lineup. Faulk over Jordan because of the experience blocking for The Franchise. Beats having Evans wide as they did several times last year.

Evans was only split presnap when they saw a 8-9 Man front making a LB cover him.He did catch some catches longest being 16 yds when the other team had 5 DL on the field. Brady job is to create a mismatch. if they stop to change players then the defence will do the same don`t you think.

Jordan did not block for punt return and last year BB used faulk and heath alot for brady`s last line for blitz pickup.I will not trust jordan or anyone in this role. faulk is more of a chip blocker he is too small to take on a OLB /ILB and hold the ground. Heath is exact opposite he is bigger now than the 250LB guy we got. I thin he is close to 260-265 lb a perfect guy to pick up bigger OLB/ILB breaking in and hold the LOS.

This is the 2nd best receiving corp (last year being the best) since TB started winning games. How soon we forget when Caldwell was the #1 WR on this team just two years ago.

This thread is very poor. Just because we lose Donte Stallworth we go from overloaded to weak.

We don't even know who is going to emerge, but I'm with you. not a good observation on this thread. if anything we're now stacked at running back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST