PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last week's Run D at Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider this moving forward.

Our secondary based on last year and based on how our front 7 looks right now is where Os will chose to attack.

Our offense should get us some really big leads. Leading teams to throw more.

Last weeks rediculous performance vs one of the best in the league.

And it could add up to a perfect storm and the run numbers could be low all year.

I mean are you really going to beat your head against the wall of Vince, Love, Spikes, Hightower, Mayo, and crew when the Patriots offense will be flying up and down the field and coming off a year where the Pats secondary gave up second most yards.

its a passing league

last year SB champs were dead last running the ball

I am a little concerned with the success locker had passing the ball

I think better QB will still be able to pick this defense apart

You know what makes this one game stat even more gratifying? The Jets "super defense", you know the the one that was declared the best of the Rex Ryan era. That defense gave up 200 rushing yds to the Bills. :eek:

You know what makes this one game stat even more gratifying? The Jets "super defense", you know the the one that was declared the best of the Rex Ryan era. That defense gave up 200 rushing yds to the Bills. :eek:

you will give up some running plays when you are up 20 in the first half and up 35 in the 3rd quarter

That defense was quietly playing as well as any BB defense at the end of the season. In the WC round they were dominant, gave up 3 points and Asante had a pick-6. Against Denver they were shutting them down until a barrage of turnovers and a horrible PI call which gave Denver 1st and goal. Without the TO's Denver would've scored 10 points max in that game, maybe as little as 3. Then who knows where they could have taken us :( They really turned it around once the DB situation settled down, I remember a carousel at SS and the Duane Starks disaster.

The 2010 defense had a similar turnaround after the Thanksgiving Lions game but then were meh in the playoffs.

The 2010 defense finished 8th in points allowed which is pretty remarkable. It's just unfortunate that the offense choked in the first quarter of the playoff game. If you remember we were driving after stoping the Jets opening drive and Brady threw a bad pick. Then the Jets missed a field goal and Crumpler dropped a TD pass so we had to settle for 3 in a game that literally should have been 14-0. Another thing about that game is that the Jets first 14 points came off of short drives, one that started on our 49 because we had to punt out of the end zone and one on Chungs muffed fake punt then their last 7 came after an onside kick, they literally had just over 300 yards of total offense. Can't blame that game on the defense, the offense lost that one.

you will give up some running plays when you are up 20 in the first half and up 35 in the 3rd quarter

Not sure that really explains away 200 yards as when you are up that much sure you will concede a few runs but only because the other team should not be running as much.

I would chalk this more up as a one week anomly but something to keep an eye on as maybe it does wind up a problem for them.

its a passing league

True, but being able to contain the run with limited resources gives the Pats greater flexibility and manpower in their quest to defeat their arch nemesis – the forward pass. The secondary should continue to improve as the year goes on.

That 2005 team had an awesome stretch there at the end of the season. The whacked out thing was that it was coming off one of the worst stretches in NFL history. I could be remembering it wrong, but I believe I recall hearing that the 8 game stretch from week 4 through week 13 the Pats allowed the most yards in any 8 game stretch in NFL history, immediately followed by a 4 game stretch where they allowed the least yards in a 4 game stretch in NFL history.

Week - Total yds allowed
4 - 431
5 - 400
6 - 432
8 - 394
9 - 453
10 - 437
11 - 425
12 - 420
13 - 164 (41 rush yards)
14 - 183 (14 rush yards)
15 - 138 (30 rush yards)
16 - 171 (40 rush yards)

Week 4-12: 424 yds/g
Week 13-16: 164 yds/g (31.2 rush yds/g)

That has to be one of the strangest "stats" in NFL history.

Good stuff.

I've always said that the 2005 Patriots reminded me eerily of the 1976 Steelers.

1 ~ 2 Time Super Bowl Champions.

2 ~ Tenacious Defense.

3 ~ Bad start, but an astonishing flourish to close the season.

4 ~ Low seeding, going into the PlayOffs, but the most dangerous team still playing.

5 ~ HeartBreaking end to the season, triggered by an Epidemic of injuries at Running Back.

its a passing league

It is a passing league...but stopping the run is huge in stopping the PA which most teams still use a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back