PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kurt Warner: "It still makes you question what was on those tapes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone ever asked Warner or anyone on the coaching staff for the Rams if they used the same signals in the SB as they did earlier in the season in New England?

I just think it would be an interesting question to get an answer to.

Didn't Doug Johnson once say that when he faced Redskins, he actually knew their calls since Spurrier was using the same ones at UF 10 years earlier?

Didn't others claim that when Gruden beat the Raiders in the SB, the Raiders were using the same calls he had installed the year before he left for the Bucs?

I just think it would be interesting to get some more transparency on the issue of signs how often they are changed. The information could help or hurt the reputation of the Patriots - depending on what is determined.

has anyone ever asked Warner or anyone on the coaching staff for the Rams if they used the same signals in the SB as they did earlier in the season in New England?

Didn't Doug Johnson once say that when he faced Redskins, he actually knew their calls since Spurrier was using the same ones at UF 10 years earlier?

Didn't others claim that when Gruden beat the Raiders in the SB, the Raiders were using the same calls he had installed the year before he left for the Bucs?

I just think it would be interesting to get some more transparency on the issue of signs how often they are changed. The information could help or hurt the reputation of the Patriots - depending on what is determined.

hey, if they're too stupid to change the signals, that's their fault. with all the whining they're doing, i hope we did tape their walk thru. at least their whining wouldn't be in vain.

It wouldn't matter. The media and Goodell and the Rams will just believe whatever they want. They've already ignored all the facts all this time anyways. I've heard similar examples of the Cowboys/49ers during their clashes. It's quite common, and though the use of video for this reason has gone away, teams still do it.

At the end of the day, it comes down to execution. As others have pointed out, some of the biggest plays in the game came down to Warner making big mistakes or poor decisions.

But it's easier to blame someone else than admit you sucked.

Hey Kurt, I guess it was videotape that allowed Willie McGinest to smash his helmet into your prominent chin and crack your pie hole, too, huh?

Go home and get your shine box.

He's being interviewed on Mike Francesca right now and they were talking about SB36.

Mike didn't even ask him about SpyGate or Belichick, Kurt brought up on his own. These guys will never stop.

Thats right and Goodell is the one that destroyed the tapes..

The reason Kurt and Marshall will never let this go is because it is the only excuse they can muster to answer the question that eats at them every day of their sorry lives... What happened to the so-called greatest show on turf? Why did it fold like a house of cards not only one night in February 2002, but why did it positively turn into a steaming pile of crap from that night forward and commence a decade long tailspin for that franchise it is still suffering from and now looking toward an OC who joined the instigator in their demise to finally turn their fate around? And why did Kurt Warner the grocery stocker turned SB darling turn into a not only a JAG but a miserable JAG failure for several seasons in it's wake while the cinderella teams 6th round career backup who bested him that night became a slam dunk first ballot HOF'er? And why did Mike Martz become nuclear and commence his own JAG OC oddessey that continues to this day?

Couldn't have been because that's who they were...a bunch of arrogant jerks who believed their own hype to the extent they pronounced themselves a dynasty before their second appearance in a superbowl in two seasons fizzled into a dynasty launching platform for the plucky little nobodies who beat them to a pulp for most of that evening. So it had to be something else, something beyond the control of Marshall and Kurt and Mike... Something tarnished if not flat out ruined the remainder of their careers (not to mention a few others like Torrey Holt who apparently gets it was lack of internal accountability) and made the greatest show on turf into a flash in the pan anomily and god forbid any of them look in the gd mirror for the reasons why that transpired. Blaming it on some mysterious tape however irrelevant or insignificant or even non existent absolves all of them from responsibility for their own and owning up to each others role in their own epic demise and makes them victims of some unknown evil forces...

Yeah, that's Kurts ticket to Canton. He won a ring once and almost won another and would have certainly won more had not evil spirits cheated him into fumbling and Mike into bumbling and Marshall into stumbling away the prime or remaining years of their careers...

I thought I had gone through every angle of Spygate, but I never considered these questions. Great freakin' questions!

hey, if they're too stupid to change the signals, that's their fault. with all the whining they're doing, i hope we did tape their walk thru. at least their whining wouldn't be in vain.

Yes, I was implying the asnwer to the question that I posed would be helpful in two mutually exclusive ways:

(A) they admit they did change their signals for the second match up which completely blows up in their face (the fact that decoding earlier signals not in use would be to nobody's advantage.)

(B) they admit they did not change their signals which makes their coaching staff look totally inept

It wouldn't matter. The media and Goodell and the Rams will just believe whatever they want. They've already ignored all the facts all this time anyways. I've heard similar examples of the Cowboys/49ers during their clashes. It's quite common, and though the use of video for this reason has gone away, teams still do it.

At the end of the day, it comes down to execution. As others have pointed out, some of the biggest plays in the game came down to Warner making big mistakes or poor decisions.

But it's easier to blame someone else than admit you sucked.

I agree with this. But I live outside of NE and catch a lot of crap for this. Whenever I make a similar argument, I always get this counter: "if it is all about plays on the field and decision making, etc, then why did Ernie and Bill even bother to do it in the first place????

I agree with this. But I live outside of NE and catch a lot of crap for this. Whenever I make a similar argument, I always get this counter: "if it is all about plays on the field and decision making, etc, then why did Ernie and Bill even bother to do it in the first place????

It's a stretch but if the other team knows you're looking to steal signals (and obviously teams did because they were waving at the camera) then it forces some coaching staffs to change things up, takes up more preparation time, requires smart players who won't fudge things up.

So, every time you play the Patriots, it's crap we need to devote a few hours to developing and memorizing signals now!

That would be more than enough reason for me to do it, but I'm not sure this figures into Belichick's reasoning.

Until the NFL rewrites history and take away those Lombardi trophies from the Pats, I don't care what these guys say. Losing a SB is a bitter pill to swallow.

Players all the time bring up this stuff all the time. What I find amusing is his coach and other coaches said the Taping was never a big deal..

And while we're at it, let's look at Kurt Warner's "HOF" career. He came into the league and went nuts one year. That year in the Super Bowl he didn't WIN the game, his D won the game by stopping Kevin Dyson. Kurt and his offense were pretty much ineffective the entire game. The following season he was whipping INT's like it was going out of style. The season after that he was good, but in the Super Bowl he looked like a boy amoung the men that was the Patriots defense. When he finally nutted up, it was too little too late. After THAT year, he had a few more crapfests with the Rams, then went to the Giants and was such a fumbling machine he was benched for Eli Manning. Then he went to the Cards, and was swapping back and forth with Matt Leinert during games until he FINALLY became the starter. Yes, he struggled taking the starting role away from Matt "Checkdown" Leinert. And finally, after getting battered again by Bill Belichick, he catches fire at the right time with one of the greatest WR corps ever seen and gets his team to the Super Bowl. In the Super Bowl he throws a Pick Six at the one with about a minute left in the half.

So, Warner to Fitzgerald scored the go ahead TD in the late fourth. The camera goes to Ben Roethlisberger, who has a "Ok, let's go win this game" look on his face. The Steelers score to go ahead, and the camera goes to Kurt Warner. Kurt Warner looks like someone shot his mom while running over his dog. Kurt proceeds to fail in the waning seconds, and loses his second SB.

Would someone fill me in on how this guy is a HOF QB?

jbb9s had a very good response to this. Here are my thoughts...

Warner has had one of the most unique careers in NFL history. Out of nowhere to become a first-time starter at age 28. Proceeds to have an historically great 3-year run (1999-2001). Wins two NFCCG, one Super Bowl, and loses one SB on a last-second FG by Vinatieri. If that game goes to OT, I think we all believe the Rams are winning it, which is most likely why Belichick decided to risk going for it in regulation. Also wins two MVPs and a Super Bowl MVP.

Then Warner disappears for 5 seasons and re-emerges, putting up three more excellent seasons. Not quite as good as 1999-2001, but his 3-year stretch from 2007-2009 was really good. Takes a horrible franchise to another Super Bowl and completes a phenomenal playoff run, nearly upsetting the favored Steelers in that game.

Other accomplishments:
- two MVPs
- 4 pro bowls
- two first team all-pro
- the 7th best passer rating of all time
- ranks 27th all-time in TD passes, despite not getting started really until age 28
- #2 all-time in passing yards per game
- #8 all-time in yards per attempt

His postseason performance absolutely blows away Manning, Brady, and a host of others.

Warner: 13 g, 307-462 (66.5%), 3952 yds, 31 td, 14 int, 8.6 ypa, 102.8 rating

Brady: 19 g, 424-682 (62.2%), 4407 yds, 30 td, 16 int, 6.5 ypa, 85.7 rating

Manning: 19 g, 453-718 (63.1%), 5389 yds, 29 td, 19 int, 7.5 ypa, 88.4 rating

Three league championships, one Super Bowl title, one Super Bowl MVP. 9-4 playoff record. Takes two different franchises to the Super Bowl.

In his first SB, the one where you said he didn't win the game for the Rams, he won the MVP by throwing for *414* yards, 2 td, and 0 int, for a rating of 99.7.

Here's his total Super Bowl stat line:

3 g, 83-132 (62.9%), 1156 yds, 6 td, 3 int, 8.8 ypa

Absolutely tremendous.

Weird career, to be sure, but he's put up some mind-boggling numbers and at his peak was truly one of the greatest QB in history.

Is that short peak enough for him to get in? We'll find out, but his resume, as weird as it is, is nonetheless very impressive.

I cant really blame Warner. clearly that was the most painful loss of his career- physically and emotionally. The real loser in all of this rehashing of spygate is the Green Bay Packers. This is supposed to be THEIR time. They haven't been to a superbowl in 13 years. The attention this week should be going to the players who are competing this week, instead of going back to the witch hunt well to get some cheap attention. I blame Goodell for this mess, and Goodell alone. He has turned this league into and episode of Jerry Springer. This week should be about the contributions of Rodgers, Polamalu, Matthews, and others, but instead all the attention is focused on make-believe cheating scandals and a rapist who apparently hasn't rehabilitated himself, and now its looking less likely that there will be no football at all next year. The Goodell train is firing on all cylinders!
Very well said - a comment worth repeating.

Warner owns the three most prolific passing games in Super Bowl history. This puts him in front of everyone for total SB passing yards.

In his last Super Bowl run, he threw for over 1100 yards in the postseason along with a measly 9 touches.

He is either 1 or 2 in career completion percentage and #1 in career yards per game.

I don't particularly like the guy, but he put together a handful of really great regular seasons, probably only eclipsed by 2 men: Brady and Manning since he did it back about 10 years ago. Thats great company to be in.

I don't see how you hold the Pitt loss against him. He was on the sidelines. He was also on the sideline 9 years and 1 day ago in New Orleans.

He has really great post season performances ten years apart. That is something I don't think anyone else can claim.
The thing is with the way the game has changed over the last decade - the way it is officiated resulting in a much larger emphasis in passing - you have to take any all-time leader stats that pertain to passing (and receiving) with a grain of salt; it has become pretty much useless to compare stats from the last ten or even twenty years to the rest of the history of the NFL. Half of the stat leaders in those categories played during the 2000's; nearly all played from 90's and beyond.

Warner had three or four very good seasons, no doubt. He was quarterback of one of the greatest offenses of all time. But if anyone else's career consisted of three or four great seasons and pretty much nothing else, there would be a whole lot of scrutiny in regards to him being selected to the Hall of Fame. The only players in the hall of fame with close to that number of few good seasons are Gale Sayers and Earl Campbell. They are both running backs and due to the nature of the position they play it's not unusual for a running back's career to be relatively short.

While Warner may indeed have some Super Bowl records, I don't feel that should give him an automatic placement in the HoF. I think some people put too much emphasis on those single games and not enough on a player's full career when it comes to talk about the Hall of Fame.

Kurt, It makes me wonder why your wife looks like your mother.

Are you related to George Bush?

The one tape we saw was probably just like the rest with virtually nothing on it. I think Jolly Roger destroyed them to keep the much ado about nothing comments in check. This way people can imagine the worst.

And while we're at it, let's look at Kurt Warner's "HOF" career. He came into the league and went nuts one year. That year in the Super Bowl he didn't WIN the game, his D won the game by stopping Kevin Dyson. Kurt and his offense were pretty much ineffective the entire game. The following season he was whipping INT's like it was going out of style. The season after that he was good, but in the Super Bowl he looked like a boy amoung the men that was the Patriots defense. When he finally nutted up, it was too little too late. After THAT year, he had a few more crapfests with the Rams, then went to the Giants and was such a fumbling machine he was benched for Eli Manning. Then he went to the Cards, and was swapping back and forth with Matt Leinert during games until he FINALLY became the starter. Yes, he struggled taking the starting role away from Matt "Checkdown" Leinert. And finally, after getting battered again by Bill Belichick, he catches fire at the right time with one of the greatest WR corps ever seen and gets his team to the Super Bowl. In the Super Bowl he throws a Pick Six at the one with about a minute left in the half.

So, Warner to Fitzgerald scored the go ahead TD in the late fourth. The camera goes to Ben Roethlisberger, who has a "Ok, let's go win this game" look on his face. The Steelers score to go ahead, and the camera goes to Kurt Warner. Kurt Warner looks like someone shot his mom while running over his dog. Kurt proceeds to fail in the waning seconds, and loses his second SB.

Would someone fill me in on how this guy is a HOF QB?

I feel the same way about Faulk. I'll give him his due for the couple or three great years in St. Louis but can't get the tank job he submitted in Indianapolis out of my mind. His overall numbers are probably great so I'm sure I'm just being a Pats homer, but I can't stand the guy.

It would be nice to win one post spygate.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand