PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kneejerk reactions: Post-Buccaneer game roster edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Don, our Tv play by play announcer is going senile.

Talked about random stuff that included some Roman historical figure. Not sure how that was related to the game. He also said that Nate as an UDFA, after a while, he then said Nate was a 7th round pick. He screwed up the names of few Bucs players.

I'm pretty sure he thinks Jeremy Ebert and Nate Ebner are the same person. Claimed that Jeremy was an all big ten rugby player at NorthWestern (even though the Big 10 doesn't have a rugby program).

Last edited:
LOL ;)

Just curious as to whether or not you'll be following the OSU situation as intently as in yr's past due to the sanctions and it being a 'wasted year' etc.

10 chars

we're a lock to cover -23 against Miami Ohio next weekend....

Agreeing with Deus, Demps could be better at Edelman's only job. He looked electric on his only PR that got called back last night, hopefully he gets a long look at PR in the last preseason game.

Yeah but Edelman will probably still make the squad as safety or right tackle. Just give him a week....

:D

Knee Jerk reactions:

I hate soft zone catches given up in the middle by our D it just seems so easy.
Not the best game by our interior D but i will wait to see the real season.
OL has alot of work to do to get cohesion and the calls right.
Can't wait for Vollmer to be back.
Jeez Demps is quick, he really is a threat to break one off from anywhere.
Ebner can tackle... can he cover?
Didn't see a pass thrown McCourtys way all night... was it because he had good coverage?
Jones continues to put pressure on the QB good to see.

Really need the reps to go way up for our 1's on O and D to get the communication and timing right.

Knee Jerk reactions:

I hate soft zone catches given up in the middle by our D it just seems so easy.
Not the best game by our interior D but i will wait to see the real season.
OL has alot of work to do to get cohesion and the calls right.
Can't wait for Vollmer to be back.
Jeez Demps is quick, he really is a threat to break one off from anywhere.
Ebner can tackle... can he cover?
Didn't see a pass thrown McCourtys way all night... was it because he had good coverage?
Jones continues to put pressure on the QB good to see.

Really need the reps to go way up for our 1's on O and D to get the communication and timing right.

There was one pass McCourty's way which Jackson caught, but the ball was underthrown and Jackson had the position to come back for it. I don't know if Jackson would have caught it if it was on target because McCourty did look to have decent coverage.

The other one was the miscommunication between McCourty and Gregory in a soft zone, but it looks like Gregory blew that one because McCourty had the short zone and Gregory never picked up Jackson when he left McCourty's zone.

I'd seriously dump depth elsewhere if we could find a vet tackle, until things settle down.

You don't have to dump anything for Vollmer

There was one pass McCourty's way which Jackson caught, but the ball was underthrown and Jackson had the position to come back for it. I don't know if Jackson would have caught it if it was on target because McCourty did look to have decent coverage.

The other one was the miscommunication between McCourty and Gregory in a soft zone, but it looks like Gregory blew that one because McCourty had the short zone and Gregory never picked up Jackson when he left McCourty's zone.

In fairness to Gregory, McCourty should have been physical with Jackson at the LOS to the point of rerouting him but didn't.

Okay, here's a kneejerk reaction. Cut all of tarpinian, rivera, and koutivides.

With Solder and Vollmer as our Tackles, we should be fine. Who is our depth if/when one goes out for a few games? (Serious question, not being a wise guy). I agree with the idea that the Pats should do their best to locate a decent RT after the cuts are made (not likely) or trade for one if one is available that is actually serviceable.

So what team has an over abundance of RT's that they want to get rid of? :bricks:

I'm not sure I understand your post, but we're talking about Vollmer with the possible chronic back condition, right?

I'm saying possible given the nature of back injuries, not any inside knowledge on my part.

If we're talking about a Vollmer guaranteed to play 80-90% we'll be fine, assuming Solder never misses time.

I think our OL will be fine come the start of the season...the additions of Volmer and potentially waters will help...i am abit worried about depth though..

ridley IMO is our #1 back next year...we saw last year that he could consistently average 5YPG and he is doing it again so far...while BJGE was always reliable to get you a good few yards and not fumble the ball, I like that Ridley is a more dynamic back, and can break off a solid run or two...

and if he can consistently put up averages like that, it is going to make our pass attack that much better...I think Mcdaniels is going to be more committed to the run...could he hit 1000yard?

that being said, i havent been impressed with Vereen, I think Bolden and demps showed much more.

defensively, Jones once again got good penetration I though....while he only had 1 sack, there were numerous times I noticed him pushing the pocket.....I also thought that our coverage in the secondary was pretty good.

what I like most though are our linebackers. hightower/spikes/may looks like a good 1-3 punch, guys are very active all over the field.....very early, but i have a feeling we will be a middle of the pack defensive team this year

I'm not sure I understand your post, but we're talking about Vollmer with the possible chronic back condition, right?

I'm saying possible given the nature of back injuries, not any inside knowledge on my part.

If we're talking about a Vollmer guaranteed to play 80-90% we'll be fine, assuming Solder never misses time.

I'm talking about Vollmer who just came off PUP and aparently will be ready to play.
I am not talking about endorsing a plan to counteract a 'potential' issue that probably doesnt even exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
My kneejerk reaction:

Ridley looks like the next coming of Ricky Watters:). Combination of superior speed with moderate power and respectable running instincts and pass catching ability.

Mallett really impressed me. It's been a long time(never maybe?) since I've seen a NE qb play better than Brady in a preseason game. I'm sure Brady was looking on and he probably remembered himself 12 years ago in the same situation.

Brandon Lloyd looked pretty diminutive out there.--I'm worried if they will ever get on the same page. Heck even if they are on the same page, he never makes anything look effortless---maybe its just his lack of size. That 8yd? catch by Lloyd should have been routine, but like Galloway or Ochostinko he was offbalance and of course tumbled to the ground. Gotta make those plays in stride and bust out a huge gain if you're the superstar everyone claims you to be.

It's all good, we don't want to peak too early:rolleyes:

abit early to compare Lloyd to galloway/ocho dont you think??? by all accounts in camp hes already on the same page as brady..

but Brady wasnt getting the ball to anyone last night except for maybe Hernandez...the Oline is going to have to give brady time for him to hit receivers like Lloyd

I do agree Mallet has impressed me though...he has the physical tools to be a good QB....whiel Hoyer is a good game manager IMO and rarely makes bad decisions. he lacks the arm strength/skillset to make the kind of passes that mallet can.

With Solder and Vollmer as our Tackles, we should be fine. Who is our depth if/when one goes out for a few games? (Serious question, not being a wise guy). I agree with the idea that the Pats should do their best to locate a decent RT after the cuts are made (not likely) or trade for one if one is available that is actually serviceable.

So what team has an over abundance of RT's that they want to get rid of? :bricks:

One of the constants of the BB era is injury, change and inexperience at the RT position, with little or no harm.
Cannon is progressing. I'm sure we will scoop up at least a practice squader. If there is a concern we can find someone out there.
If Cannon must play, I expect the result to be very similar to what we have had in the past with new RTs, and if necessary he will get help.

My kneejerk reaction:

Ridley looks like the next coming of Ricky Watters:). Combination of superior speed with moderate power and respectable running instincts and pass catching ability.

Mallett really impressed me. It's been a long time(never maybe?) since I've seen a NE qb play better than Brady in a preseason game. I'm sure Brady was looking on and he probably remembered himself 12 years ago in the same situation.

Brandon Lloyd looked pretty diminutive out there.--I'm worried if they will ever get on the same page. Heck even if they are on the same page, he never makes anything look effortless---maybe its just his lack of size. That 8yd? catch by Lloyd should have been routine, but like Galloway or Ochostinko he was offbalance and of course tumbled to the ground. Gotta make those plays in stride and bust out a huge gain if you're the superstar everyone claims you to be.

Diminutive?Lloyd is 6' 192lbs.
But you are probably right, falling to stay on his feet on that one pass is all I need to know, we should cut him and move Edelman up to starter.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News