PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kevin Faulk officially suspended 1 game, fined [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kevin Faulk suspended, fined

Some NBA star admitted to being high during games and he was fine.

I'm with DaBruinz all the way with this.
Pot smoking on or OFF the job is a scourge.

I was a supervisor of meter readers for a major utility for over 20 years and I know first-hand how,even off the job, pot smoking has tremendous impact on job performance.

I'm talking about impaired driving,lack of motivation and the general malaise pot smoking causes,which is a killer for ANY organization....in or out of sports.

If Faulk does it at a concert,then he might do it driving home after a game or practice.
This is not harmless...it's a drug that has addictive qualities........not a good idea.

I respectfully disagree. I guarantee that you work with certain people you never had any idea smoked pot on their own time. The "motivation/malaise" PSA is just false stigma with no substance whatsoever. Some of the hardest working and most intelligent people I know smoke pot.

EDIT - Assuming that your correlation is true (which I don't) is it the pot that causes laziness or are lazy people more likely to become pot-smoking meter readers? Given my own personal experience with it I find that it's usually people who have never smoked that assume it "causes laziness."

Last edited:
I'm with DaBruinz all the way with this.
Pot smoking on or OFF the job is a scourge.

I was a supervisor of meter readers for a major utility for over 20 years and I know first-hand how,even off the job, pot smoking has tremendous impact on job performance.

I'm talking about impaired driving,lack of motivation and the general malaise pot smoking causes,which is a killer for ANY organization....in or out of sports.

If Faulk does it at a concert,then he might do it driving home after a game or practice.
This is not harmless...it's a drug that has addictive qualities........not a good idea.

Sorry, first, there are no addictive qualities, and no study has every actually showed that there were. Nobody goes into any physical withdrawal symptoms from pot deprivation after long term use. Wrong.

Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that the general malaise of some meter readers at a "major utility" is caused by pot? Dude, they are meter readers. If they had any real motivation in life, pot or no, they wouldn't be meter readers. Sorry if that sounds smug, but, c'mon, it's lower than the post office on the lazy bastard scale of jobs.

Sorry if I'm repeating someone, but seems to me that since everyone agrees that being high at work is unacceptable, this just comes down to whether or not you personally feel it's ok to smoke pot.

Some jobs can be done whilst high especially if the person has a tolerance.

Oh dear god, it's like talking to a 2 year old. Smoking before work = being high at work, which is entirely different from NOT BEING AN IDIOT AND DOING IT ON YOUR OWN TIME. This is no different from a guy who drinks a bottle of mad dog on his way to work. Try like hell not to be a moron here, ok?

How about you heed your own advice there? The original specification was "on your own time." Nothing about before or after work.

As for "random" testing, it is beatable, trust me, I know people who have been doing it for decades. And none of them are high at work, before you try to resurrect that ******ed argument, but they do smoke after work, before they go to bed, and on weekends, when their ON THE JOB PERFORMANCE IS NOT IN QUESTION.

The only thing ******ed is people like yourself who weren't specific when you said "on their own time. I gave a perfectly legitimate example.

As for random testing "being beatable," I am sure it is. That's not the point either. The point is that I believe it is not a violation of your privacy that you are subject to one as a term of your employment.

These same people are not even remotely affected in their daily work. Any ****** can find the high guy at work, just like any ****** can find the drunk guy at work. I've worked forklifts, manufacturing, heavy machinery, and much more so please don't act like you have a different perspective, you lost that right when you started talking like you had inside insight on gulags.

I do have a different perspective than most people, including you. Its pure ignorance on your part to say that I don't and that I lost that right because I used that right. I haven't abused it and you certainly aren't man enough to take that right away from me. Also, unlike many Americans, I do have some insight on gulags and what they were like. I've been to two of the concentration camps in Europe. Auschwitz and Dachau. I've walked through them. Felt the coldness of them. Seen the pictures of the people who came out of them. I've also had the experience of talking to some survivors who imparted to me their experiences. Can you say the same?

Just keep in mind, you are the one who sat there and claimed that the places I had worked were the equivalent of gulags. Had you not made such an ignorant statement to begin with, it would never have become an issue.

Smoking pot DOES NOT EQUAL smoking pot at, or just before work. There are way more people who smoke pot at home, who aren't stupid enough to do it before work, who never, ever, are affected in the workplace. There are also plenty of people who drink at home, who aren't stupid enough to do it before work, who never, ever, are affected. And for the record, I've known many more drunks who tried to "sneak one in" at or before work than I have potheads who did so please couch that argument too.

Smoking pot (generalization) CAN equal smoking pot at or just before work. For you to say, with certainty, that it does not, is ignorance on your part. There may be plenty of people who do it on the weekends and who "beat the system" but that doesn't make it right. Just like going to work drunk isn't right. But, again, that isn't the subject. The subject was, originally, Faulk being punished by the league for possession.

And, as I said previously, I have no issue with him being punished for it. They have clauses for off-field conduct in their contracts. Those contracts are legally binding documents and they willingly agree to them if they want that particular job.

Now, if you want to actually talk about the difference between Faulk and Marshall, lets have at it because I agree that Marshall shouldn't have had his sentence reduced.

Some jobs can be done whilst high especially if the person has a tolerance.

This may be true, I'm sure the guys at Blockbuster can just as easily ring you up stoned as they can sober. But none of us on the "other" side of the argument have even been suggesting that being high on the job is OK. DaBruinz wants to conflate being high at home after work on on weekends, when you would still test positive, to being high on the job where any idiot would agree you are a potential danger to yourself and others.

Sorry, first, there are no addictive qualities, and no study has every actually showed that there were. Nobody goes into any physical withdrawal symptoms from pot deprivation after long term use. Wrong.

Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that the general malaise of some meter readers at a "major utility" is caused by pot? Dude, they are meter readers. If they had any real motivation in life, pot or no, they wouldn't be meter readers. Sorry if that sounds smug, but, c'mon, it's lower than the post office on the lazy bastard scale of jobs.

Your Illogical conclusions as well as your paltry experience with the working class is astounding.

Please put me on your ignore list.
(at your pot-smoking leisure,of course).

How about you heed your own advice there? The original specification was "on your own time." Nothing about before or after work.
Again, a ridiculous argument. Drinking on your own time is legal, and universally acceptable unless you fall into a VERY specific range of career such as pilot or conductor. Drinking right before work, however, just like getting high just before work, is a totally different animal and neither is acceptable - it has nothing to do with the legality of one or the other, it has everything to do with common sense. Nobody was talking about being high on the job except you and richpats. All of us on the other side of the argument are in complete agreement that being high on the job is unacceptable, just like being drunk. Neither has to do with one's on personal proclivity to usage, only to the intelligence of the person at hand.
The only thing ******ed is people like yourself who weren't specific when you said "on their own time. I gave a perfectly legitimate example.
It was not a perfectly legitimate example, because it would be just as valid an argument against alcohol, which is not tested for. Legality doesn't enter into it because both are equally unacceptable on the job. The issue is when it does not affect your job performance, and again, after pages of posts, you still cannot support the idea that just because someone smoke when it doesn't affect their on the job performance, they are still a liability.
As for random testing "being beatable," I am sure it is. That's not the point either. The point is that I believe it is not a violation of your privacy that you are subject to one as a term of your employment.
It is the point, because you think just because someone does it, it affects your performance. The presence of masking, and the fact that MANY successful people do it (and yes, I am in an industry where I am directly in contact with very successful people, and yes, I know many of them smoke, and yes, I know it does not affect their on the job performance) because they work for companies who test, suggests that your argument is wrong...people who smoke mask that fact, and they succeed at their jobs, and their employers are never the wiser for it, and their performance is never the worse for it. Sorry, but that ends that discussion. I know way more than 3 people that smoke, who perform very well at their jobs, who do not smoke on the job, who would perform poorly if they did smoke at their jobs. Follow me? Smoking does not equal bad performance. Period. More than 3 examples. Get it?
I do have a different perspective than most people, including you. Its pure ignorance on your part to say that I don't and that I lost that right because I used that right. I haven't abused it and you certainly aren't man enough to take that right away from me. Also, unlike many Americans, I do have some insight on gulags and what they were like. I've been to two of the concentration camps in Europe. Auschwitz and Dachau. I've walked through them. Felt the coldness of them. Seen the pictures of the people who came out of them. I've also had the experience of talking to some survivors who imparted to me their experiences. Can you say the same?
First, concentration camps are not gulags, please don't EVER conflate the two again as it is an insult to those who were involved in either. One group were persecuted for their religious and cultural beliefs, the other was forced into labor camps because they were trapped under a dictatorial regime bent on domination at no expense. Both were horrible and bring tears to my eyes just thinking about them, but to equate the two is to misunderstand the very different social situations that allowed each to happen. Second, yes, I also know survivors of the Holocaust, and the gulags, and have talked to both. And both of these horrible, horrible things started with the initial willingness of the public to trade off liberty for what they perceived to be the general good. With that said, my point was strictly related to the general willingness of people to give up liberties because of what there are TOLD is the general good, be it fascism or communism, and the overall fallacy of the idea that ANYONE should ever give up their liberty to a governmental or corporate entity.
Just keep in mind, you are the one who sat there and claimed that the places I had worked were the equivalent of gulags. Had you not made such an ignorant statement to begin with, it would never have become an issue.
See above, ignorant is not an applicable point relative to my comparison no matter how much you try. Any relinquishing of liberty leads down a very dark and unpleasant road. Please don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise, the two examples you gave above, while vastly more significant than what we are discussing, did begin with the same kind of small sacrifices. See McCarthy, Joseph for references.
Smoking pot (generalization) CAN equal smoking pot at or just before work. For you to say, with certainty, that it does not, is ignorance on your part. There may be plenty of people who do it on the weekends and who "beat the system" but that doesn't make it right. Just like going to work drunk isn't right. But, again, that isn't the subject. The subject was, originally, Faulk being punished by the league for possession.
Smoking pot CAN equal smoking pot at or before work. Drinking alcohol CAN equal drinking at or before work (yeah, seen that too, and it WAS in an industry with heavy machinery, forklifts, and various other things that made it a very big problem). Neither have any relevance to doing it away from work. Smoking pot does not mean smoking pot at work. Drinking does not mean drinking at work. You cannot equate the two simply because a very small percentage might do both. Managers have a responsibility to fire someone who does either, and none of it has to do with what they do at home.
And, as I said previously, I have no issue with him being punished for it. They have clauses for off-field conduct in their contracts. Those contracts are legally binding documents and they willingly agree to them if they want that particular job.
Punished for what? A misdemeanor? Drug testing, what we have been talking about, has zero relevance to what he was punished for. While we all may have taken a step away from the original point, it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't punished for anything related to drug testing, on or off the job.
Now, if you want to actually talk about the difference between Faulk and Marshall, lets have at it because I agree that Marshall shouldn't have had his sentence reduced.
Agreed too, but not relevant to what you, I, Wildo, richpats, or Deus have been debating.

Your Illogical conclusions as well as your paltry experience with the working class is astounding.

Please put me on your ignore list.
(at your pot-smoking leisure,of course).
Really? I've worked at gas stations, pizza parlors, hotels, machining plants, assembly plants, shipping plants, liquidators and car dealerships. I've been a blue collar worker, I've managed blue collar workers. I've overseen forklift operators, I've been a forklift operator, I've managed detailers, salesman, people with and without green cards, assembly line workers and more. I've also got a degree from an ivy league university and have run the gamut of jobs. I think I've got a pretty good feel for both the lazy and the hard working. Suggesting pot is a factor in meter readers laziness is like suggesting that martinis are a factor for stock brokers' success. Not every stock broker is successful. Not every meter reader is lazy. Not every stock broker drinks martinis. Not every meter reader smokes pot. But there are lazy meter readers who smoke pot, just like there are successful stock brokers who drink martinis. To suggest that the overlap is the cause is beyond foolish.

Really? I've worked at gas stations, pizza parlors, hotels, machining plants, assembly plants, shipping plants, liquidators and car dealerships. I've been a blue collar worker, I've managed blue collar workers. I've overseen forklift operators, I've been a forklift operator, I've managed detailers, salesman, people with and without green cards, assembly line workers and more. I've also got a degree from an ivy league university and have run the gamut of jobs. I think I've got a pretty good feel for both the lazy and the hard working. Suggesting pot is a factor in meter readers laziness is like suggesting that martinis are a factor for stock brokers' success. Not every stock broker is successful. Not every meter reader is lazy. Not every stock broker drinks martinis. Not every meter reader smokes pot. But there are lazy meter readers who smoke pot, just like there are successful stock brokers who drink martinis. To suggest that the overlap is the cause is beyond foolish.

LSATiness:D

Faulk wasn't the only one to receive a suspension for possession...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3561199
Um...
Article said:
The minor misdemeanor case is the equivalent to a ticket. The maximum penalty is a $150 fine.
$150? My speeding tickets cost more than that. This is how much the "law" cares about what they did, but a speeding ticket warrants a 1/8 of a year fine. A cabbie who got a 1/8 yearly salary fine for a speeding ticket would be on Oprah talking about it every day.

well that sucks, hopefully it will not slow down the offense much against KC

I'm not reading through 18 pages but did anyone see this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271242

In part...

Brothers said his client took the test Monday in Rhode Island and it came back clean Thursday. Brothers sent a copy of a document -- labeled "Controlled Substance Test Report" by drug-screening company ChoicePoint -- to The Associated Press on Friday.

Ya, he got busted, but if he tested clean, he is not abusing drugs. The commyissioner can suspend him for drug possesion, but the clean pee keeps him from a substance abuse policy violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes