PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker returns for Broncos vs Seahawks game week 3

Haley

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Welker, who originally was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs, was made eligible to return to the team this week after the NFL and the players' union on Wednesday finalized the drug-policy changes they tentatively agreed upon last week.

Under the new policy, Welker's positive test for amphetamines falls under the league's policy for substance abuse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11541481/wes-welker-denver-broncos-returning-work-team

Interesting that this isn't PED but substance abuse instead.

That's about the last team welker should want to return for. If they hit him the way they did when he played them with NE his return will be short lived and his retirement closer.

That's about the last team welker should want to return for. If they hit him the way they did when he played them with NE his return will be short lived and his retirement closer.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That suspension was a blessing in disguise for him IMO. Now he's coming in cold to a game against the most physical secondary in the league on a week after they were beaten by San Diego. That team is going to be out for blood, and neither Manning nor Welker himself are going to go out of their way to protect Wes' noggin.

I'm going to have to watch this game through my fingers like a horror movie.

Just in time!

friends-iron-man-tony-stark-avengers-eye-roll.gif

I thought Browner was suspended for drugs? I hear nothing of him, so what exactly is the deal there?

I thought Browner was suspended for drugs? I hear nothing of him, so what exactly is the deal there?
Wasn't he suspended in part because he missed a test? If so then I don't see why his suspension would change.

Wait, are you telling me that the NFL changed a rule and it turns out that the change helps out Peyton Manning? Why I'm shocked! Shocked!:rolleyes:
What's amazing is even the PFT commenters realized this.

Wait, are you telling me that the NFL changed a rule and it turns out that the change helps out Peyton Manning? Why I'm shocked! Shocked!:rolleyes:

Yep, you nailed it! The NFL negotiated a new drug policy just so Peyton Manning could get Welker back a couple of games early.You're a true genius. In fact, your finger is so accurately on the pulse of this conspiracy that I have to wonder if perhaps you might be a part of it. Scary.

I guess they figured since the Broncos are 0-2 this season without Welker, and Welker made such a big difference in the Broncos routing of the Seahawks last year, that they'd better get the wheels moving on getting Wes back, at any cost.

Oh wait...

Yikes, I hope Welker makes it through this next game okay. With the relentlessness/depth of Seattle's d-line, I'm betting that Welker's going to be targeted a lot, and if gets hung out to try going over the middle again there are a few guys on that D who will just murder him

So this change in policy tells me that either

1) Tyms did not get nailed for adderall or...
2) He didn't test hot in the off season

Adderall during the off season would have resulted in his return as it did with Welker.

So this change in policy tells me that either

1) Tyms did not get nailed for adderall or...
2) He didn't test hot in the off season

Adderall during the off season would have resulted in his return as it did with Welker.

Adderall would be considered a performance enhancer, not recreational like Molly.

Browner- not his first offense. Failed a test for pot 7 or 8 years ago

Tyms- failed test occurred last season, by the league calendar. They are only reconsidering failed tests from this league year

Adderall would be considered a performance enhancer, not recreational like Molly.
Nope, not according to the new policy. Adderall shows up as an amphetamine. If it's off-season, it's not performance enhancing so it would be same as Welker. Welker showed up for amphetamine.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/..._policy_hgh_testing_to_begin_this_season.html

Welker and Scandrick were suspended for the first four games of the season for testing positive for amphetamines during the offseason. For offseason testing, that drug has moved from the performance-enhancing category and is now classified as a drug of abuse, which doesn't result in an automatic ban.

Players still need a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for Adderall -- the most common trigger for a positive test for amphetamines -- during the season.

Browner- not his first offense. Failed a test for pot 7 or 8 years ago

Tyms- failed test occurred last season, by the league calendar. They are only reconsidering failed tests from this league year
That would make more sense than the previous reason stated about it being a performance enhancer.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back