PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelly Washington, Billy Yates cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington whether because of injury or not was not as productive on STs this year and he never broke thru as WR on this team so he cost to much.

Yates...I am just guessing might be a numbers thing our 5 starters are under contract but a bunch of them come up next year so we may need to stock up there and there are only so many you can keep and Yates was never more than a back up.

So now we have about 7 mil pre-Cassel and potentially more than 20 mil.......I think we can be players if we want.

Last edited:
Yates, although I like him personally as a friend, has proven to be a very average player.

Sorry, what? You are buddies with Yates?

Could be, I'm no OL expert. He just seemed to get burned quite a bit early in the year and the line seemed to improve dramatically when he was not playing.

What he said.

Leave No Doubt said:
All I know is Neal's return seemed to make a huge difference.

What he said.

At the moment Rule of 51 doesn't change things since the Pats only had 50 players under contract before these cuts.

Yates had a very bad year, I'm not surprised he's gone.

Washington may have had lingering health issues, but he was clearly overpaid for his role on the team.

It could be that they need the room for RFA/ERFA tenders (Woods, Alexander, Ventrone).

I'm kinda surprised the Patriots cut Washington, but not depressed over it.

Evans and/or Lonnie Paxton?

Someone suggested resigning Ventrone. Is he ever going to move beyond STs?

Glad to see we are making some moves, cleaning house. Hopefully we are going out with the old in with the new (Big Draft).

Evans and/or Lonnie Paxton?
Evans is a UFA whom I expect to be re-signed. Paxton... I expect him to be re-signed, but he's also one of the more expensive Longsnappers in the NFL.

I am a bit surprised by the moves...but it makes sense...Aiken I agree is the one who will at some time be in Izzo's shoes..NOT Washington...and he's a better receiver..so..it was a matter of time and money...Yates as many have said did not have a good year..yjeu cpould resign Hoch..but may not...Connolly is the one who is the inside lineman that they will use in the future..it's more who comes in cheaper as backups...and these guys do not...

Washington did some good things. As for Yates....

th_612capture_tombstone03-1.jpg

I cant never understood why Washington was never more used as a WR.. Hope this means we resign jabar..

I'm with you. I envisioned him getting 20 catches a year. Instead, what did he have? I honestly only recall him making one catch in his two seasons with us. I think he had like a two yard catch against the Chiefs in the season opener.

I am a bit surprised by the moves...but it makes sense...Aiken I agree is the one who will at some time be in Izzo's shoes..NOT Washington...and he's a better receiver..so..it was a matter of time and money...Yates as many have said did not have a good year..yjeu cpould resign Hoch..but may not...Connolly is the one who is the inside lineman that they will use in the future..it's more who comes in cheaper as backups...and these guys do not...
I wouldn't re-sign Hochstein, Yates was playing RG ahead of him. I can't rule out Russ coming back, but I think Connelly has passed him and this draft is very deep at C/G and with OT who could be moved inside. I think it's a great opportunity to get Neal's replacement on the roster inexpensively. Some names to ponder:

Mack
Woods
Unger
Luigs
Caldwell
Urbik
Canfield
Green
Lang
Feinga
Olsen
Meredith
Tupou
Watkins
Fullton
Lewis
Parrish
Hartline
Cadogan
Brewster
Stanchek

i liked washington but he was clearly expendable. yates didnt perform nearly as well as we would have liked.

i would think the timing of this means we are interested in one or two of the players recently released

i liked washington but he was clearly expendable. yates didnt perform nearly as well as we would have liked.

i would think the timing of this means we are interested in one or two of the players recently released

or one or two of the hundreds about to be free agents

The move clears about $1.9 mil in cap space ($1.871 mil) and with replacements already on the roster in Aiken and Connolly these moves are not that surprising. Washington was fantastic on STs in his 1st year with the Pats but was injured and fell off last year, in addition the Pats simply don't believe he is as good a receiver as Aiken as evidenced by last year's playing time and production on offense. Yates, although I like him personally as a friend, has proven to be a very average player. He is a little undersized and has limited athleticism and strength. He has the athleticism of a heavy footed stout blocker but not enough functional strength to be as effective as he needs to be. Technique and effort he is solid but simply does not have the tools to be an effective player for long periods of time. I'm sorry to see him go but I understand the move.

Out of curiosity, how is Yates at 6'2 and 305 undersized for the position? He's the same height and about 10 lbs heavier than Koppen.. He's 5 lbs lighter than Mankins, but the same height and weight as Hochstein?

As I understand it, the salary cap is based on the cumulative salary cap number of the top 51 players. So if player #52 and #53 take the place of two cut players, the fact they are already under contract and on the roster is irrelevant.

You would be correct. However, the Patriots didn't have 51 players signed. They had only 50 signed prior to Yates and Washington being cut. So they get the entire amount.

Out of curiosity, how is Yates at 6'2 and 305 undersized for the position? He's the same height and about 10 lbs heavier than Koppen.. He's 5 lbs lighter than Mankins, but the same height and weight as Hochstein?

It ain't the meat, it's the motion--

Yates was clearly identified as the weak link of the O-line anytime he was out there. There was a big arrow over his head, flashing neon, " Stunts Go Here!!"

Actually not surprised about Washington, more surprised about Yates. Washington is a good special teamer, but he was a non-factor as WR. I always wanted to keep Caldwell for depth over him. Depth at WR is an issue for this team and I don't think they could afford to carry a WR who was solely a special teamer when the Pats already have several players who are primarily special teamers at the position. He could be back later in the offseason though depending on how the roster plays out.

The Pats were really high on Yates as a back up. He didn't really cost anything. So I figured he would stay.

I think it comes down to money and I don't think the film lies. BB always does his home work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back