PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelly Washington, Billy Yates cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't re-sign Hochstein, Yates was playing RG ahead of him.

Well, you're probably right, but didn't Hochstein have some injury issues of his own early on in the season?

I kind of had a feeling that Washington would be cut. He never was used much but he did a great job as a ST guy. As for Yates I thought it would happen last year.

I don't think it really was "minimal"... Washington, Yates and Aiken are the three highest paid non-starters on the team, they all were making far more than the rookie contracts that are just below them.

Jarvis Green says Hi.

Yates may have been above Hochstein at some point, but when Neal was out the interior line was a mess. Cassel constantly had defenders in his face.

When Neal came back, Cassel suddenly got a lot better. But he also had an extra second and an extra six feet of space in the pocket.

WIDE RECEIVER
Aiken has passed Washington as the #4 receiver. Slater had passed Washington as the emergency #5 receiver and STer. I would think that Belichick has a receiver or two in mind.
Gaffney could be in the mix or not. In any case, we are a bit thin at wide receiver.

GUARD
Has Connelly passed Yates? Has he passed Hochstein? Can he be counted on as the game day center and guard? I would hope that Belichick is making room to sign a guard/center.

Well, you're probably right, but didn't Hochstein have some injury issues of his own early on in the season?
I don't recall, but Yates has been playing ahead of him going back to 2007.

WIDE RECEIVER
Aiken has passed Washington as the #4 receiver. Slater had passed Washington as the emergency #5 receiver and STer. I would think that Belichick has a receiver or two in mind.
Gaffney could be in the mix or not. In any case, we are a bit thin at wide receiver.

GUARD
Has Connelly passed Yates? Has he passed Hochstein? Can he be counted on as the game day center and guard? I would hope that Belichick is making room to sign a guard/center.

How much can they save if they cut Slater?. He was mediocre on ST and certainly not an offense, nor defensive stalwart. Fifth receiver? That is scary.The farther he is away from an actual football, the better. Would have kept Washington over Slater, but CAP is the CAP.
DW Toys

Last edited:
It ain't the meat, it's the motion--

Yates was clearly identified as the weak link of the O-line anytime he was out there. There was a big arrow over his head, flashing neon, " Stunts Go Here!!"
Good one!
J

I kind of had a feeling that Washington would be cut. He never was used much but he did a great job as a ST guy. As for Yates I thought it would happen last year.

Bet Pioli picks Washington up.
DW Toys

Nothing would be saved by cutting our starting gunner. His salary is $385K, the same as someone like Richardson. On what basis do you think that he was mediocre on ST? I suppose you mean as a returner, in which case I agree. The cap is indeed the cap. Slater is an inexpensive special teamer; Washington was a very expensive one. Washington was the #5 receiver last year. How many catches did he have? The reality is that the tight ends and running backs are far more likely to catch a key pass than the #4 or #5 receiver.

How much can they save if they cut Slater?. He was mediocre on ST and certainly not an offense, nor defensive stalwart. Fifth receiver? That is scary.The farther he is away from an actual football, the better. Would have kept Washington over Slater, but CAP is the CAP.
DW Toys

Out of curiosity, how is Yates at 6'2 and 305 undersized for the position? He's the same height and about 10 lbs heavier than Koppen.. He's 5 lbs lighter than Mankins, but the same height and weight as Hochstein?

Billy's 6-2 305 vs Hoch's 6-4 305 is not the same, if you've ever seen them standing next to each other the difference in size is noticeable. Koppen I'd have to agree on they are about the same size (6-2 296) but Koppen is a lot stronger for that size and plays with much better balance and has much more initial quickness. He also has much better hands, in terms of strength and technique. There's a lot of things that go into being an effective OL and Koppen, despite his average size, has a larger array of tools to work with when compared to Billy Y. Koppen is also a lot more aggressive as a player.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Mankins initially. Mankins is on another level when compared to the other 3. Mankins is a perfect combo of size @ 6-4 310, strength, smarts, toughness and intensity. He is also a much better athlete with super pop, quickness, technique and nastiness. I think he struggled a bit last year because he wasn't always displaying that nasty attitude, which I have a feeling will be back this upcoming season.

Last edited:
Kevin Faulk and Jarvis Green say hi!

I don't think it really was "minimal"... Washington, Yates and Aiken are the three highest paid non-starters on the team, they all were making far more than the rookie contracts that are just below them. This cleared about 1.5 million in cap space... (this is all based on Miguel's patscap.com)...

Nothing would be saved by cutting our starting gunner. His salary is $385K, the same as someone like Richardson. On what basis do you think that he was mediocre on ST? I suppose you mean as a returner, in which case I agree. The cap is indeed the cap. Slater is an inexpensive special teamer; Washington was a very expensive one. Washington was the #5 receiver last year. How many catches did he have? The reality is that the tight ends and running backs are far more likely to catch a key pass than the #4 or #5 receiver.

When you put it like that, I'm no longer surprised he was cut! I will miss him pumping up the crowd right before kickoffs.

Yates would sometimes fall down untouched. NO?

I don't care about Yates being cut. I'd really like to see an upgrade there anyway

I wouldn't re-sign Hochstein, Yates was playing RG ahead of him. I can't rule out Russ coming back, but I think Connelly has passed him and this draft is very deep at C/G and with OT who could be moved inside. I think it's a great opportunity to get Neal's replacement on the roster inexpensively. Some names to ponder:

Mack
Woods
Unger
Luigs
Caldwell
Urbik
Canfield
Green
Lang
Feinga
Olsen
Meredith
Tupou
Watkins
Fullton
Lewis
Parrish
Hartline
Cadogan
Brewster
Stanchek
Hochstein though could also play C and LG as well as FB when needed...I think a bit more versatile than Yates. It does seem they are high on Connolly and that is always good that they see a better value. Maybe Hoch will be in teh mix..maybe not...but you are right that they will draft an interior OL probably second day...They also have Ryan Webdell, but who knows what his future is. The Connolly move to the 53 was a big one...and can see it more with the Yates cut. Given the look at D in the draft I doubt they will go OL the first day..but who knows. It is good that C/G is a deep position in the draft...plenty of opportunity for the bext round of Dante's OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back