PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kaczur, Patriots headed for split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah so do I. That and making stuff up to fit your argument. No mention of trying him at guard. Feel free to point out what was misquoted or used incorrectly on my part.

OK.
1) Its not making something up to say Light played G in rookie camp, its a fact. I don't care whether you read something that says it or not.
I do not recall whether BB commented on that as well, which is why I phrased it as I did.

BB quote about Light:
Pay close attention now. Where you are wrong is you said that Light has been ruled out by BB as an option at RT. What you post that follows does not say that.

"It’s a little unusual for tackles to be able to play both sides at a high level, period," Belichick said. "Usually when you look at the normal draft board, you look at tackles, and you say, ‘This tackle’s more of a left tackle, this guy’s more of a right tackle.’ And then you have a few guys, maybe a quarter of them, as a guesstimate, that you could say, ‘Well, he could be a swing tackle.’ . . .
Nothing Earth-shattering here

"When you look at Vollmer . . . as we did last year and now after having him this year, he legitimately can play both tackle spots."
I think everyone is clear on this.

An example of how it isn't always that way? Here we go ...

"In my brilliance," Belichick said with a smile, "I put (Light) at right tackle as a rookie. It didn’t really work out at all. He has the physical skills to play over there.
Here he says Light DOES have the physical skills to play there.

But, then, he just … Matt’s just a left tackle. When you look at his skills, I don’t think you look at him and say, ‘Well, I don’t think he has the skills to play right tackle.’
Hillariously you bold the part that you think makes your case without realizing the sentence before it say "I DONT think you look at him and say". Meaning the part you bolded is what BB is saying is NOT accurate. Duh.

"But he’s just much more comfortable on the left side and he’s a much better left tackle than he was a right tackle
, when we tried to play him there his rookie year.
Talking about his ROOKIE year. Also does not say that if we had a better LT, then he couldnt play on the right side either.

Once we got him back to left tackle, he was a much better football player. That was his rookie year, so maybe if it was his third year, he would’ve adjusted to it better.
So here he says maybe by year 3 if would have been different. Its now year 10.

I don’t know, we just left him at left because he’s done a good job for us over there."
Explain to me how that sentence supports your point at all? It says he is a good LT so thats why he hasnt been moved to RT. Hardly your argument that BB says he couldnt play RT.

Awful lot of typing and attitude to actually find quotes that prove your opinion is wrong.
Nice try.

If Light is resigned as expected, why would we draft a backup T in the first round? And why would Kaczur really impact that? He was being moved to G because of Vollmer's emergence.
If Light does not come back, we have T needs, if he is resigned we simply need depth which would not be a good use of a 1st round pick.

This is where you ask why draft a tackle if Light is resisgned.

Matt Lights days as a Left Tackle are nearing an end IMO, pro bowl or not. BB has stated Light is not an option at RT. I'd draft a tackle in with one of the top 3 picks, maybe a guard at 60 (depending on what happens with Mankins) and resign Light with the expectation he would transition to guard whenever the tackle is ready to start. Vollmer can play either LT or RT.

This is where I suggest resigning Light, drafting a tackle and moving Light inside to guard when the tackle is ready.

No. There are 3 Ts on the ProBowl team. Thomas was voted the LT starter. If Light is out there with him, Light plays the right side. This happens in every probowl.

And to clarify, BB said that in 2001 he tried Light at RT and it didnt go real well. I believe he also tried him at G and said the same thing about it.
I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something.

This is where you could comment on moving Light to guard is an idea you agree or disagree with and why. You choose to write "I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something"
I provide several quotes from BB as to why moving Light to RT is most likely not going to happen. You said he he was tried at guard and said the same thing but don't provide any quotes from BB. I guess we're supposed to take your word for it.

OK.
1) Its not making something up to say Light played G in rookie camp, its a fact. I don't care whether you read something that says it or not.
I do not recall whether BB commented on that as well, which is why I phrased it as I did.

I never said he never played it in camp in fact it is what I'm suggesting. What I don't recall is BB ever commenting on it. You say he commented on it, great provide the quote or the link.

Pay close attention now. Where you are wrong is you said that Light has been ruled out by BB as an option at RT. What you post that follows does not say that.

Nothing Earth-shattering here

I think everyone is clear on this.

Here he says Light DOES have the physical skills to play there.

Physical skills, so what. Vernon Golston has physical skills

Hillariously you bold the part that you think makes your case without realizing the sentence before it say "I DONT think you look at him and say". Meaning the part you bolded is what BB is saying is NOT accurate. Duh.

I bolded a part that I shouldn't have, I tried to edit it after I caught it but it was too late. I was scanning the quote quickly.

Talking about his ROOKIE year. Also does not say that if we had a better LT, then he couldnt play on the right side either.

So here he says maybe by year 3 if would have been different. Its now year 10.

maybe

Explain to me how that sentence supports your point at all? It says he is a good LT so thats why he hasnt been moved to RT. Hardly your argument that BB says he couldnt play RT.

Awful lot of typing and attitude to actually find quotes that prove your opinion is wrong.
Nice try.

Yup my opinion is wrong on this. I guess these quotes mean Matt Light would be a good fit at RT.

"I put (Light) at right tackle as a rookie. It didn’t really work out at all."
"Matt’s just a left tackle"
"Once we got him back to left tackle, he was a much better football player"
"he’s a much better left tackle than he was a right tackle"

I copy and pasted the BB quote so not a lot of typing. As far as attitude, maybe the person writing that shouldn't be lecturing others about it when he is writing things like "I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something" The quotes clearly back up my original statement that Light isn't really an option at RT.

Last edited:
This is where you ask why draft a tackle if Light is resisgned.

This is where I suggest resigning Light, drafting a tackle and moving Light inside to guard when the tackle is ready.

This is where you could comment on moving Light to guard is an idea you agree or disagree with and why. You choose to write "I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something"
I provide several quotes from BB as to why moving Light to RT is most likely not going to happen. You said he he was tried at guard and said the same thing but don't provide any quotes from BB. I guess we're supposed to take your word for it.

Yup my opinion is wrong on this. I guess these quotes mean Matt Light would be a good fit at RT.

"he’s a much better left tackle than he was a right tackle"

I copy and pasted the BB quote so not a lot of typing. As far as attitude, maybe the person writing that shouldn't be lecturing others about it when he is writing things like "I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something" The quotes clearly back up my original statement that Light isn't really an option at RT.

No, the comments you posted explain that Light is best suited at LT, which is blatantly obivous. They do nothing to support your claim that Light would not be an option as the RT if Vollmer was moved to LT.

As far as my comments, you absolutely misrepresented BBs comments. You even posted yourself where BB specifically said that the fact that Light is a good LT does not mean he couldn't play RT.
It would seem that if you type black is white you would find a way to argue that is correct, so this has become a pointless discussion.

Look...I think we can ALL concur....Vernot Goatston,who was just unceremoniously dumped by the Jtse,could never be considered a right tackle candidate...or even a candidate to MAKE a tackle...or sack...or any other play commonly associated with the sport of football....:D

Last edited:
Kaczur gone. He wasnt that good anyway.

IMO, this move implies that RT is Vollmers to lose and that NE has every intention to resign Matt Light.

Isn't Kaczur old, given his football years. I remember him being 25 or 26 at draft time.

I assume Light is coming back. Given the current state of this team, I do not see Belichick bringing in a rookie to start. It does look more and more like an OL is getting drafted with one of those first 3 picks.

Why Kraft's hatred of Canadians?

No, the comments you posted explain that Light is best suited at LT, which is blatantly obivous. They do nothing to support your claim that Light would not be an option as the RT if Vollmer was moved to LT.

As far as my comments, you absolutely misrepresented BBs comments. You even posted yourself where BB specifically said that the fact that Light is a good LT does not mean he couldn't play RT.
It would seem that if you type black is white you would find a way to argue that is correct, so this has become a pointless discussion.

BB quote about Vollmer, I'm going to interpret this one as meaning Vollmer can play both Tackle spots legitimately.

"When you look at Vollmer . . . as we did last year and now after having him this year, he legitimately can play both tackle spots."

BB quotes about Light:

"He’s a much better left tackle than he was a right tackle"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and interpret this to mean that Matt Light is a better LT than RT. I think you agree with me on this.

If Vollmer can play both equally and Light is much better on the left side than the right side, how can you consider Light an option at RT? Unless the goal is to weaken the team you wouldn't.

HELLO!!!! Kazcur isn't very good. It's no loss.

BB quote about Vollmer, I'm going to interpret this one as meaning Vollmer can play both Tackle spots legitimately.

BB quotes about Light:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and interpret this to mean that Matt Light is a better LT than RT. I think you agree with me on this.

If Vollmer can play both equally and Light is much better on the left side than the right side, how can you consider Light an option at RT? Unless the goal is to weaken the team you wouldn't.

BB did say that in year 3 Light (paraphrasing) MAY have been able to make the transition to RT. BB did not say, nor do we don't know if Light can transition to RT in year 11

The key question is Vollmer > Light at LT and is new RT > Light at RT.

Last edited:

BB quotes about Light:

So now you are just bolded pieces of the statement and leaving out the context and contradictory part?
Nice.

BB did say that in year 3 Light (paraphrasing) MAY have been able to make the transition to RT. BB did not say, nor do we don't know if Light can transition to RT in year 11

The key question is Vollmer > Light at LT and is new RT > Light at RT.

No it's not. The key question is if Vollmer plays both positions equally well and Light is much better at LT, What kind of lunatic would put Light at RT. You're both going to extreme lengths to try and prove me wrong on this. I really don't know what is so difficult to understand. These quotes are painfully obvious that BB does not see Light at RT as a good fit[. And by the way, these quotes were made this year if he thought Light would magically become a good choice at RT between years 1-11 or 3-11 don't you think he might have mentioned it while talking about how Light didn't work out well at RT.

BB clearly doesn't view Light as a good choice at RT. Really, what is the issue here?

Last edited:
No it's not. The key question is if Vollmer plays both positions equally well and Light is much better at LT, What kind of lunatic would put Light at RT. You're both going to extreme lengths to try and prove me wrong on this. I really don't know what is so difficult to understand. These quotes are painfully obvious that BB does not see Light at RT as a good fit[. And by the way, these quotes were made this year if he thought Light would magically become a good choice at RT between years 1-11 or 3-11 don't you think he might have mentioned it while talking about how Light didn't work out well at RT.

BB clearly doesn't view Light as a good choice at RT. Really, what is the issue here?

The issue is that BB is the one who has brought the possibility to light. As their careers progress, OL will move to different positions along the line. It happens all the time with Woody being a notable example. Light is lauded for his athleticism. See below.

That was his rookie year, so maybe if it was his third year, he would’ve adjusted to it better. I don’t know, we just left him at left because he’s done a good job for us over there."

We can all agree that Light has been a fine LT. What we don't know if..

1) Vollmer will be a better LT in 2011 than Light was in 2010
2) Light even be back with the team
3) Light is back with the team, will he/can he play RT

I think keeping Kaczur would be a benefit if we let Light go and draft a T in the first 2 rounds. Starting Kaczur at RT and letting the draft pick eventually take over would be ideal. Losing BOTH Light and Kaczur and I think we are in more trouble and would HAVE to draft a T high. No sense boxing us in. Because of Light's status as a player rep he wont "cross the line" and resign before the CBA but we might have a wink wink deal with him set up. If so no need to draft a T in the first 2 rounds with or without Kaczur. I think Lights fate will be known come draft time. It makes more sense to have a active swing man(G/T), if Kaczur cant play G that certainly lowers his value.

The issue is that BB is the one who has brought the possibility to light. As their careers progress, OL will move to different positions along the line. It happens all the time with Woody being a notable example. Light is lauded for his athleticism. See below.

We can all agree that Light has been a fine LT. What we don't know if..

1) Vollmer will be a better LT in 2011 than Light was in 2010
2) Light even be back with the team
3) Light is back with the team, will he/can he play RT

Judging by BB very clear comments, I don't see how there is any way Light is resigned to play RT and I don't see how anyone else could. If he is resigned it would be to play LT. If the Patriots draft a tackle high in the draft I suggested moving Light inside to guard.

Judging by BB very clear comments, I don't see how there is any way Light is resigned to play RT and I don't see how anyone else could. If he is resigned it would be to play LT. If the Patriots draft a tackle high in the draft I suggested moving Light inside to guard.

I'm missing you argument, Armchair. If you see no possible way for Light to play RT, then why is he a fit for G? Guards require shorter, stockier builds and more short burst power to play the position. Maybe Light could make the transition to G, but RT would seem more logical IMO.

I'm missing you argument, Armchair. If you see no possible way for Light to play RT, then why is he a fit for G? Guards require shorter, stockier builds and more short burst power to play the position. Maybe Light could make the transition to G, but RT would seem more logical IMO.

I've been defending myself for saying that BB has said that Light is not an option at RT. When I said that another poster wrote

"I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something."

BB quotes:
"It’s a little unusual for tackles to be able to play both sides at a high level, period," Belichick said. "Usually when you look at the normal draft board, you look at tackles, and you say, ‘This tackle’s more of a left tackle, this guy’s more of a right tackle"

Followed by:

It is very clear to me that BB does not regard ML as a RT option.
My original post suggested resigning Light, drafting a tackle prospect and moving Light to inside to guard (which he does have the build for) when the rookie earns the position. It is my opinion that Light's days at LT are numbered and it is also my opinion that he could play guard. My interpretation is that BB won't play Light at RT so that leaves LT which he has played exclusively or guard which I believe he could play IMO.

I've been defending myself for saying that BB has said that Light is not an option at RT. When I said that another poster wrote

"I love how people misquote BB then use that incorrect quote to act as if they know something."

BB quotes:
"It’s a little unusual for tackles to be able to play both sides at a high level, period," Belichick said. "Usually when you look at the normal draft board, you look at tackles, and you say, ‘This tackle’s more of a left tackle, this guy’s more of a right tackle"

Followed by:

It is very clear to me that BB does not regard ML as a RT option.
My original post suggested resigning Light, drafting a tackle prospect and moving Light to inside to guard (which he does have the build for) when the rookie earns the position. It is my opinion that Light's days at LT are numbered and it is also my opinion that he could play guard. My interpretation is that BB won't play Light at RT so that leaves LT which he has played exclusively or guard which I believe he could play IMO.

We'll just disagree that Light is suited to play guard. I don't see it happening.

Information about whether Kaczur is staying may also affect their stance in the Light negotiations.

Probably not the biggest factor, given the relative amounts of money involved, but everything fits together to some extent.

Seriously tho......do we want to be investing in Matt Light at this point in his career? He has proven that he can NOT compete with the fast pass rushers or the really power lineman anymore (actually never could his whole career. (hence the nickname "turnstile" that he was given by many fans.

As far as Kaczur is concerned good riddance....never thought he was worth a whole heck of a lot anyways....time to rebuild the OL....

Earlier, I made fun of people saying Light couldn't possibly play RT. Whether that was a misrepresentation of what he said is a moot point IMO.

BB doesn't say things to explain his decisions. He makes decisions for his own reasons and makes statements for political (team unity, etc.) reasons.

He obviously thought Light was the best LT candidate on the team that fit his salary structure. When he got Volmer, he showed, despite being raw, a lot of physical potential (ranginess, quick feet) for left tackle.

By emphasizing how Volmer has the ability to play both, plays RT well, Light is a much better fit at LT, he neatly sidesteps the question, who is the best LT?

Anyone notice this? Volmer gets to work his way in (he's green) Light gets his ego saved, that's what being a coach of men is about.

If he decides to put Light at RT, Volmer at LT, there will be a slew of new quotes explaining what he decided to do that still won't say one or the other is a better LT.

Light's always wanted to prove his flexibility, Volmer has worked real hard at rt, we wanted to give him a longer look at lt etc.

Whatever allows everyone to feel praised, save face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back