PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just What the Pats Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm ashamed to admit I didn't get to see the whole game, and had a day from hell that I'd like to forget. My cell phone died as well, so I lost real time feed after the game was tied in the 4th quarter, and didn't find out the final score until later. Agony. I haven't been able to see all the missed footage yet. But a few preliminary thoughts:

1. I had a bad feeling going into this game. Not so much because of the Ravens, who I expected to be a tough out, but because of the way the season ended. A poor performance against the Jets followed by a no-show against Buffalo. The offense not operating well for the past several games. I understood the rationale behind resting people, but I personally would have liked to see the Pats use at least a half of football against Buffalo to work out the kinks.

2. I think the bye week and HFA are over-rated. Teams that have to fight their way into the playoffs often do quite well once they get in there. I was worried that the Pats would come out slow and soft.

With that in mind, having to overcome a lot of adversity, some questionable calls, and 2 14-point deficits to beat a tough Baltimore team could be a very good thing for the Patriots. Most teams that win the SB have to win a tough, close game along the way. Some examples that come to mind:

- 2013 Seahawks went down to the wire with SF in the NFCCG.
- 2012 Ravens had to fight their way into the playoffs, and won a double overtime game against the Broncos on the road.
- 2011 Giants had to fight their way into the playoffs and go on the road against #1 GB, and then won 3 point squeakers against SF in the NFCCG and NE in the SB.
- 2010 Packers had to fight their way into the playoffs and then toughed 5-point win on the road against Philadelphia in the wild card game.
- 2009 Saints barely held off Brett Favre and the Vikings in the NFCCG

Lots of other examples. The 2001 and 2003 championship teams both won gut-wrenching games along the way. The tuck rule game against Oakland in 2001. A 17-14 physical slug-fest against Tennessee in 2003.

In recent years the Pats have either comet flat in the divisional round (2009, 2010) or dominated (2011, 2012, 2013) and then struggled in close games in the AFCCG or SB. Having a gut check and coming up on top today could be a good thing for the next (hopefully) 2 games, even if it's not good for our collective coronaries.

Points well made, Mayo. It is a game of emotion and we came in sleep walking while the ravens looked sharp as could be.

I disagree about the advantage of not having a week off. that's an excuse. The team didn't take advantage of the opportunity to rest up, work on a lot more than the other team and get that mental edge for game time. We did it in the past, because we were more disciplined and mentally tough. Doesn't mean we can't do it now (taking advantage of this kick in the ass, a point well made) but we need to take responsibility for the mental and emotional preparation. No excuses.

Last year it was injuries, next year it could be something else. Champions learn to live with prosperity as well as adversity, so we'll see what they're made of.

It was something to grow up as a kid with the Celtics dynasty. Imagine all the excuses that were overcome on the way to 11 titles. Read up on the 1969 Celtics, a team that had every excuse in the world to go down quietly, but wouldn't.

You know what Mayo? Honestly, I thought the Pats were going to handle this team. Everything was aligned, Revis, a healthy Gronk etc.

Really wasn't expecting the PI calls to work so well in their favor. Revis had a phenomenal 2nd half though despite the tic tack hold when Smith was pushing off. Kudos to Flacco, I don't know why he waits to play his best football when it's the playoffs.

Your right though. The Pats needed to play and win a game like this. These are the kind of games that usually end their season and they responded through a couple of standing 8 counts standing tall at the end. Proudest win in awhile.

Points well made, Mayo. It is a game of emotion and we came in sleep walking while the ravens looked sharp as could be.

I had a feeling that the Pats would come out slow. They haven't been a sharp 1st half team down the stretch, and I wasn't surprised when they fell behind quickly. That's something I'd like to see them tighten up on. But I also think there's a lot of fight in this team, and too much talent to fold when they get down.

Disclaimer: I'm ashamed to admit I didn't get to see the whole game, and had a day from hell that I'd like to forget. My cell phone died as well, so I lost real time feed after the game was tied in the 4th quarter, and didn't find out the final score until later. Agony. I haven't been able to see all the missed footage yet. But a few preliminary thoughts:

1. I had a bad feeling going into this game. Not so much because of the Ravens, who I expected to be a tough out, but because of the way the season ended. A poor performance against the Jets followed by a no-show against Buffalo. The offense not operating well for the past several games. I understood the rationale behind resting people, but I personally would have liked to see the Pats use at least a half of football against Buffalo to work out the kinks.

2. I think the bye week and HFA are over-rated. Teams that have to fight their way into the playoffs often do quite well once they get in there. I was worried that the Pats would come out slow and soft.

With that in mind, having to overcome a lot of adversity, some questionable calls, and 2 14-point deficits to beat a tough Baltimore team could be a very good thing for the Patriots. Most teams that win the SB have to win a tough, close game along the way. Some examples that come to mind:

- 2013 Seahawks went down to the wire with SF in the NFCCG.
- 2012 Ravens had to fight their way into the playoffs, and won a double overtime game against the Broncos on the road.
- 2011 Giants had to fight their way into the playoffs and go on the road against #1 GB, and then won 3 point squeakers against SF in the NFCCG and NE in the SB.
- 2010 Packers had to fight their way into the playoffs and then toughed 5-point win on the road against Philadelphia in the wild card game.
- 2009 Saints barely held off Brett Favre and the Vikings in the NFCCG

Lots of other examples. The 2001 and 2003 championship teams both won gut-wrenching games along the way. The tuck rule game against Oakland in 2001. A 17-14 physical slug-fest against Tennessee in 2003.

In recent years the Pats have either comet flat in the divisional round (2009, 2010) or dominated (2011, 2012, 2013) and then struggled in close games in the AFCCG or SB. Having a gut check and coming up on top today could be a good thing for the next (hopefully) 2 games, even if it's not good for our collective coronaries.

I think there is another benefit of winning a tough game like this, in the manner in which the Pats did.

Do you suppose that the Broncos twice get themselves prepared for a home game against the Ravens and got to breath a sigh of relief at not having to go to Foxboro, only to have it all snatched away from them.

I'm thinking (OK hoping), that this could affect the Broncos state of mind and affect how they play tomorrow?

Be glad you missed some of the game. You'll live longer because of it..

While a wake-up playoff game was nice, losing Stork hurts. The Pats did not need to lose their stoutest interior lineman.

And the Pats are going to have to jump start their team better next week because being behind two touchdowns against either Denver or Indy plays right into their defense's hands. The Ravens were kind of hamstrung by their secondary but even they went single high and pinned their ears back.

I think there is another benefit of winning a tough game like this, in the manner in which the Pats did.

Do you suppose that the Broncos twice get themselves prepared for a home game against the Ravens and got to breath a sigh of relief at not having to go to Foxboro, only to have it all snatched away from them.

I'm thinking (OK hoping), that this could affect the Broncos state of mind and affect how they play tomorrow?
A great team like the Broncos would wait until the clock hit zero before they started having victory showers.

I think the expectations about resting up in the bye week applied. While there was a lot to dislike about the play of certain units at certain times (mainly the defense), the only guy I can think of who seemed to play like a walking-wounded was Chandler Jones. (Plus Gray missed the game possibly in part due to being dinged up.) The OTs, for example, did well, at least on passing downs, although OT success and DE difficulty for both teams can perhaps be attributed to the refs lack of interesting in calling OL holding.

SI.com's Don Banks seems to agree:
This was the one. The win the New England Patriots so desperately needed and absolutely had to have. Yes, to advance. But not only to survive, but to prove something to themselves, too. This was the kind of test that tells the Patriots they’re ready to chase, and finally claim, that elusive fourth Super Bowl ring.

That’s how much this one meant, and even if it was only the NFL playoffs' divisional round, don’t sell it short. New England 35, Baltimore 31 was an instant classic of a game, a three-and-a-half-hour heavyweight title bout. And for the comeback-minded Patriots, it’s the outcome that makes the difference between believing they’re for real or destined for another January disappointment, the kind they’ve almost cornered the market on for most of the past decade.

I’m convinced. It took the Patriots (13-4) almost 55 minutes of game time to battle their way to their first lead Saturday at a frosty Gillette Stadium, but once they did, they crossed a threshold of legitimacy and credibility that only a win over Baltimore (11-7) would have provided. The Ravens, their recent playoff nemesis, threw everything they had at New England, but the Patriots took it, counter-punched and found a way to win anyway, becoming the first team in NFL playoff history to advance by overcoming two different 14 point deficits -- one in each half.

And now, with their most challenging hurdle cleared, I won’t be surprised one bit if they roll in next Sunday’s AFC Championship Game back here at Gillette, no matter if their opponent is defending conference champion Denver or the No. 4-seeded Indianapolis Colts -- both of whom the Patriots defeated soundly in the regular season. If this season in New England has in store what I think it has in store, this will be the game that the Patriots look back on as the most crucial step they took toward a title. Their defining moment.

Saturday’s dramatic win proved Belichick’s team won’t play the patsy this January. The Patriots just passed their toughest test in memorable fashion, and the Ravens have been vanquished. In New England, another trip to the Super Bowl suddenly seems much, much closer, and well within reach.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/10/nf...ew-england-patriots-tom-brady-julian-edelman#

That implies that you're worried about the Broncos. Understandable I suppose. I fear not that team with its noodle armed QB and its Del Rio coached D

I understood the rationale behind resting people, but I personally would have liked to see the Pats use at least a half of football against Buffalo to work out the kinks.

Belichick could've chose to rest them all for the entire meaningless game, but didn't for the reasoning that you wanted to see. Unfortunately, the offense just couldn't produce, but they played the entire first half.

I think the bye week and HFA are over-rated.

I don't see much of an argument to automatically advancing into the divisional round without even having to play the game. To take it one step further, we had a lot of players who needed rest and healing, which the 2 week window definitely provided.

Having the first round bye allows you to win ONE home game in order to appear in the AFCCG. How can you beat that?

That implies that you're worried about the Broncos. Understandable I suppose. I fear not that team with its noodle armed QB and its Del Rio coached D

To each his own, but choosing not to be concerned about a high powered team like DEN, with a great QB and a bunch of weapons (not to mention a very good defense), is even worse than those who strangely predicted a "blowout" vs. BAL last night.

Having to beat Manning and co. 2x in the same season, along with 4/5 times is no easy feat. It will take a lot of hard work, preparation, and excellent execution.

I'm definitely optimistic, but I'd be lying if I claimed that I wasn't concerned in the least. All of the games in the postseason are games to be concerned about.

Having the first round bye allows you to win ONE home game in order to appear in the AFCCG. How can you beat that?

By winning the SB. The SB champion in 2005 (Pittsburgh, #6 seed in AFC), 2006 (Indy, #3 seed in AFC), 2007 (NY Giants, #5 seed in NFC), 2010 (Green Bay, #6 seed in NFC), 2011 (NY Giants, #4 seed in NFC) and 2012 (Baltimore, #4 seed in AFC) didn't seem to care much about having to play an extra game.

By winning the SB. The SB champion in 2005 (Pittsburgh, #6 seed in AFC), 2006 (Indy, #3 seed in AFC), 2007 (NY Giants, #5 seed in NFC), 2010 (Green Bay, #6 seed in NFC), 2011 (NY Giants, #4 seed in NFC) and 2012 (Baltimore, #4 seed in AFC) didn't seem to care much about having to play an extra game.

Obviously, you understand how much higher the odds are of making the SB with the first round bye.

To each his own, but choosing not to be concerned about a high powered team like DEN, with a great QB and a bunch of weapons (not to mention a very good defense), is even worse than those who strangely predicted a "blowout" vs. BAL last night.

Having to beat Manning and co. 2x in the same season, along with 4/5 times is no easy feat. It will take a lot of hard work, preparation, and excellent execution.

I'm definitely optimistic, but I'd be lying if I claimed that I wasn't concerned in the least. All of the games in the postseason are games to be concerned about.

To the bolded part, of course I agree. I will say that while beating them twice in one season is a chore, beating them 4 out of 5 is no nevermind at all. Games when Tebow was QB are irrelevant.

The Broncos are good. Everyone left is good. I anticipate a good performance from the Patriots in each game they play from here on out, and I choose to take the confident approach. Not dismissive, just feeling very confident.

I do stick by my statements. Peyton, while still effective, can no longer drive the ball down the field, and Jack Del Rio is checkers to Brady/BB/Josh's chess when it's even close to an even playing field.

To the bolded part, of course I agree. I will say that while beating them twice in one season is a chore, beating them 4 out of 5 is no nevermind at all. Games when Tebow was QB are irrelevant.

The Broncos are good. Everyone left is good. I anticipate a good performance from the Patriots in each game they play from here on out, and I choose to take the confident approach. Not dismissive, just feeling very confident.

I do stick by my statements. Peyton, while still effective, can no longer drive the ball down the field, and Jack Del Rio is checkers to Brady/BB/Josh's chess when it's even close to an even playing field.

I'm not including games where Tim freaking Tebow played. I agree that would be pointless.

I'm speaking of the fact that we've beaten Manning 3/4 times we've met up since he's been in Denver. If we expect to win next Sunday, that will have made it 4/5.

You make some fine points re: Peyton's recent struggles, although I still think that he's the 3rd or 4th best QB in the game, so I look at it that way. He really wasn't struggling when J.Thomas was playing prior to the week 11 injury. Once that happened is when he saw some major struggles.

Since both Thomases are now healthy, I expect something closer to the old Peyton. Hopefully, in the end you are very much correct!

Obviously, you understand how much higher the odds are of making the SB with the first round bye.

I never said a bye was bad. But I think it's over-rated. There has been a feeling on this board for many years that if we don't get a bye - or even if we don't get HFA - that we don't have a chance. Hogwash.

The Ravens came into this game revved up and sharp, having had to play their way into the tournament and win a road game on the bye week. The Pats came in rested and healthy, but also rusty and much less fired up at the beginning of the game. They survived, but it was dicey, and they came darn close to being one and done. As BB said, you aren't going to win many games having to come back from 14 down twice. I'm glad they had to survive this kind of game, and I think it will help them; but I also think they could have been sharper if they had chosen to play the last game of the season instead of treating it like a preseason game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back