PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just how much are the 28th and 33rd picks worth combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ideally, Belichick could set New England up for the next five plus years in future draft picks. Let's hope that there will be a draft in 2012.

You've to wonder, when has a similar scenario as the Patriots find themselves in occurred before?

This is all good provided Belichick still gets who he wants in players for this year. If not, was it all worth it in the end.

My second prediction is that the New England Patriots will have many teams vying for their first pick in the second round (No. 33 overall), but their most coveted pick will be the 28th pick overall. In fact, there will be so many teams that want to acquire that 28th overall pick that the value of the pick will far exceed the old chart value. The 28th pick will be the auction pick, because many teams won't want to leave Radio City on Thursday night without the player it deems the key to its draft.

With little more than a week until the draft, the Patriots understand their 33rd pick will be in high demand, especially all day Friday morning. Yet, they also understand their most intriguing pick -- and the one that will create the most stir -- will be their 28th overall. Knowing they have the 33rd pick, the Patriots can move as far as they want and still not lose many talented players off their board. Having a pick like the 33rd overall allows the Patriots to move their 28th back as far as 20 spots because, in essence, they will only lose 15 players, not 20, and gain significant value for the pick. The closer teams have picks together allows more flexibility in moving, and we all know Belichick loves to move.

NFL.com news: Wheeling-and-dealing Patriots will be must-see on draft day

Ideally, Belichick could set New England up for the next five plus years in future draft picks. Let's hope that there will be a draft in 2012.

You've to wonder, when has a similar scenario as the Patriots find themselves in occurred before?

This is all good provided Belichick still gets who he wants in players for this year. If not, was it all worth it in the end.

NFL.com news: Wheeling-and-dealing Patriots will be must-see on draft day

I would hope that if Belichick trades away #28 it will be traded for an extra 3rd and 4th rounder this year instead of a 2012 deal.

"I can actually visualize a scenario in which the Patriots move from No. 28 to the mid 30s, and then move pick No. 33 to the low the 40s and end up with the same players they would have selected at Nos. 28 and 33."

Yeah I can see that happening too. Just call him Trader Bill on draft day. I think BB will be getting us some value by moving down with those picks. The question remains what will he do with pick #17? A slight trade up could be possible to grab that premium defensive guy.

Best case scenario for the twenty-eighth pick remains acquiring Denver's two second round picks. That is, if Belichick is looking at this year's draft only for compensation. On the other hand, I still want to retain the thirty-third pick. I wouldn't trade both of these picks unless the offers are too good to pass on. Conversely, I feel he has no intention of trading the seventeenth pick, nor will he trade up unless he gets action on the twenty-eighth pick. In that case, you need the thirty-third pick to help facilitate a move up from seventeen.

Best case scenario for the twenty-eighth pick remains acquiring Denver's two second round picks. That is, if Belichick is looking at this year's draft only for compensation. On the other hand, I still want to retain the thirty-third pick. I wouldn't trade both of these picks unless the offers are too good to pass on. Conversely, I feel he has no intention of trading the seventeenth pick, nor will he trade up unless he gets action on the twenty-eighth pick. In that case, you need the thirty-third pick to help facilitate a move up from seventeen.

Two seconds for #28? I don't see it happening, Josh Mcdumb**** isn't with the Broncos anymore.

Obviously, it wouldn't be only the twenty-eighth pick. You would include the sixtieth pick as well.

That is to say, Denver's two second round picks for New England's second first round pick and second second round pick work if both sides agree.

Last edited:

Well, our #17 (950 SVC) would probably get us both of Denver's 2nd-rounders (#36 and #46 = 980 total SVC). But the #28 (660 SVC) + #92 (132 SVC) would probably only get us Denver's #36 (540 SVC) and #67 (255 SVC).

the 33rd pick is basically a 1st rounder, so the patriots should be able to get a 2012 first rounder and a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2011 in exchange for it alone.

I have a sneaky feeling that they might 33rd which will make tippet go down in the books as the first explayer and patriots the team that did the pick.

just saying bb is so much into history.

I see them trade 28 and keep 33.

the mere fact that 33rd pick is the first pick on the second day might make it more valuable to the patriots than even 28.

the 33rd pick is basically a 1st rounder, so the patriots should be able to get a 2012 first rounder and a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2011 in exchange for it alone.

Not sure about that. Trading down directly into the mid-40s or later would likely get us that 2nd, plus a 3rd, plus a 5th or better. Based on the history from 1995-2010, our trading partner would likely be substituting the 2012 1st for the 2011 2nd. Might be a good deal from a pure SVC exchange standpoint and we'd still get an extra 2011 3rd and 5th, but I personally wouldn't want to miss out on the 2011 2nd - way too much value there in prospects who may have an immediate impact.

Both picks are worth a lot more in this draft than any others in recent memory...

What's most interesting here is that Belichick always has "his guys" that he's targeting in the draft. If there's anyone he REALLY wants he's got the ammunition he needs to get him.

I think Belichick will also parlay some picks in to much higher value next year when a potential rookie scale would make a higher 1st round pick that much more of a value. Trading a 2nd this year for a 1st next can really pay off big in that situation.

I think BB trades down from #17 to the early 20's and takes DE Wilkerson.

I think if there are only two QB's gone by #28, BB will bleed someone for the #28 pick. However this is a great spot to pick a Sheard or Kerrigan, who many people think is falling because his has maxed out his upside.

I have a sneaky feeling that they might 33rd which will make tippet go down in the books as the first explayer and patriots the team that did the pick.

just saying bb is so much into history.

I see them trade 28 and keep 33.

so basically sacrifice good football decisions for the right to have an ex-player make history....come on, that just makes absolutely no sense

Two seconds for #28? I don't see it happening, Josh Mcdumb**** isn't with the Broncos anymore.

No, but the same GM is still in Denver. And he agreed with McDaniels on that trade last year. So it could, very well, happen.

It's possible that Belichick could be eying Muhammad Wilkerson and Danny Watkins. If so, Wilkerson is definitely gone in the first round, Watkins is a toss up. I say, he'll go in the second round.

Reportedly, there's building speculation that Carolina will pass on Cam Newton and select Marcell Dareus instead with the top overall pick. If this happens, how does this further shakeup the direction of the first round. Also, Nick Fairley could affect the direction of the draft too if Tennessee passes on him. Nonetheless, I'm certain that Belichick will figure out a way to exploit this so that it'll be advantageous for New England.

I think if there are only two QB's gone by #28, BB will bleed someone for the #28 pick. However this is a great spot to pick a Sheard or Kerrigan, who many people think is falling because his has maxed out his upside.

I don't think GMs will be looking at Kerrigan as a guy with maxed out upside. The media maybe.

Dareus and Newton will be drafted in the top 12. It makes little difference to us when they are drafted.

It's possible that Belichick could be eying Muhammad Wilkerson and Danny Watkins. If so, Wilkerson is definitely gone in the first round, Watkins is a toss up. I say, he'll go in the second round.

Reportedly, there's building speculation that Carolina will pass on Cam Newton and select Marcell Dareus instead with the top overall pick. If this happens, how does this further shakeup the direction of the first round. Also, Nick Fairley could affect the direction of the draft too if Tennessee passes on him. Nonetheless, I'm certain that Belichick will figure out a way to exploit this so that it'll be advantageous for New England.

Dareus and Newton will be drafted in the top 12. It makes little difference to us when they are drafted.

I agree. But if Carolina does the right thing and passes on Newton, it does make the draft a little spicier as we wait to get on the clock.

However if Newton and Gabbard go back to back or nearly back to back early, it could start a QB run and leave an extra D Lineman for us, especially if two teams are willing to gamble on Locker and Mallett. (IE: Washington and the Vikings.)

Could definitely see BB dropping back from 17. I don't want anything to do with Kerrigan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe