PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2nd Round and the Consensus Big Board

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Assuming the Patriots don't do anything surprising in the 1st round, I would say it's the 2nd round that figures to be the most interesting part of this draft. The Consensus Big Board has many interesting players around our pick at #46.

• 40 Dawand Jones
    41 Hendon Hooker
    42 Adetomiwa Adebawore
  • 43 Trenton Simpson
  • 44 Felix Anudike-Uzomah
  • 45 Jack Campbell
    46 BJ Ojulari
  • 47 John Schmitz
  • 48 Keion White
  • 49 Luke Musgrave
  • 50 Steve Avila
  • 51 Josh Downs
  • 52 Isaiah Foskey
  • 53 Cody Mauch
  • 54 Antonio Johnson
  • 55 Zach Charbonnet
  • 56 Julius Brents
  • 57 Sam Laporta
  • 58 Dj Turner
  • 59 Derek Hall
  • 60 Keanu Beaton

• I would be happy with any of these players with the exception of Campbell, Avila, Mauch and Charbonnet. With LaPorta, I wouldn't be thrilled, but it would be an OK pick. So out of the 20, I see 15 guys who are really good picks.

That is an an interesting big board. Of those guys I would want Josh Downs (assuming they don't go receiver in round one). I'd expect that the Pats would need to move up to get him though.

If they don't go receiver in round 1, would probably expect Dawand Jones, or one of the edge guys. White and Ojulari would be my favorites.

I do expect a trade up in round 2, as they have done this a couple times recently.

Last edited:
  • 40 Dawand Jones
    41 Hendon Hooker
    42 Adetomiwa Adebawore
  • 43 Trenton Simpson
  • 45 Jack Campbell
    46 BJ Ojulari
  • 47 John Schmitz
  • 48 Keion White
  • 49 Luke Musgrave
  • 50 Steve Avila
  • 51 Josh Downs
  • 52 Isaiah Foskey
  • 53 Cody Mauch
  • 54 Antonio Johnson
  • 55 Zach Charbonnet
  • 56 Julius Brents
  • 57 Sam Laporta
  • 58 Dj Turner
  • 59 Derek Hall
  • 60 Keanu Beaton

Daddy likes all the bold

That is an an interesting big board. Of those guys I would want Josh Downs (assuming they don't go receiver in round one). I'd expect that the Pats would need to move up to get him though.

If they don't go receiver in round 1, would probably expect Dawand Jones, or one of the edge guys. White and Ojulari would be my favorites.

I do expect a trade up in round 2, as they have done this a couple times recently.
Agee on White and Ojulari. Some have White in the 1st round. I like Downs as well.

I reckon our 2nd round pick isn't on that list. If I had to name who I thought it would be I'll say Tucker Kraft, TE.

Assuming the Patriots don't do anything surprising in the 1st round, I would say it's the 2nd round that figures to be the most interesting part of this draft. The Consensus Big Board has many interesting players around our pick at #46.

• 40 Dawand Jones
    41 Hendon Hooker
    42 Adetomiwa Adebawore
  • 43 Trenton Simpson
  • 45 Jack Campbell
    46 BJ Ojulari
  • 47 John Schmitz
  • 48 Keion White
  • 49 Luke Musgrave
  • 50 Steve Avila
  • 51 Josh Downs
  • 52 Isaiah Foskey
  • 53 Cody Mauch
  • 54 Antonio Johnson
  • 55 Zach Charbonnet
  • 56 Julius Brents
  • 57 Sam Laporta
  • 58 Dj Turner
  • 59 Derek Hall
  • 60 Keanu Beaton

• I would be happy with any of these players with the exception of Campbell, Avila, Mauch and Charbonnet. With LaPorta, I wouldn't be thrilled, but it would be an OK pick. So out of the 20, I see 15 guys who are really good picks.
bolded ones would make me happy

• 40 Dawand Jones
    41 Hendon Hooker
    42 Adetomiwa Adebawore
  • 43 Trenton Simpson
  • 45 Jack Campbell
    46 BJ Ojulari
  • 47 John Schmitz
  • 48 Keion White
  • 49 Luke Musgrave
  • 50 Steve Avila
  • 51 Josh Downs
  • 52 Isaiah Foskey
  • 53 Cody Mauch
  • 54 Antonio Johnson
  • 55 Zach Charbonnet
  • 56 Julius Brents
  • 57 Sam Laporta
  • 58 Dj Turner
  • 59 Derek Hall
  • 60 Keanu Beaton

Give me the bolded. I like D Jones but have a 3rd on him.

But would you take Avila or Mauch?

After we took Strange last year?

Can Mauch or Strange play tackle in the NFL?

I know some folk think they can, but it would have to be a last resort for me...

Can Mauch or Strange play tackle in the NFL?

I know some folk think they can, but it would have to be a last resort for me...
I hope we move strange to center after this season! Watching him falls off blocks in the running game is brutal!!!

• 40 Dawand Jones
    41 Hendon Hooker
    42 Adetomiwa Adebawore
  • 43 Trenton Simpson
  • 45 Jack Campbell
    46 BJ Ojulari
  • 47 John Schmitz
  • 48 Keion White
  • 49 Luke Musgrave
  • 50 Steve Avila
  • 51 Josh Downs
  • 52 Isaiah Foskey
  • 53 Cody Mauch
  • 54 Antonio Johnson
  • 55 Zach Charbonnet
  • 56 Julius Brents
  • 57 Sam Laporta
  • 58 Dj Turner
  • 59 Derek Hall
  • 60 Keanu Beaton

After seeing my favorite candidate on this list Jack Campbell being taken so damn soon, followed by Edges Felix A-U, Foskey, Ojulari & Hall; plus TE Sam LaPorta all before #46, I then had no problem whatsoever with Keion White... Didn't want any of the next wave of OLmen or WRs here; Hooker or any QB was never an option before the 5th round; taking Gonzo at 17 ruled out DJ Turner, Cam Smith & Ty Stevenson; and reports of Chocolate Gronk's knee(s?) issue began surfacing by now, though I still would've been tempted... So if I'm going to take a front-7 defender at 46, then I'll take the bigger DE rather than a LB like Trent Simpson... and Ade Ade is just too weirdly-shaped for my liking...

Last edited:
I reckon our 2nd round pick isn't on that list. If I had to name who I thought it would be I'll say Tucker Kraft, TE.

If not Darnell Washington himself, then Tucker Kraft should've been the choice at 76.

Yep; and a FOURTH-rounder for him - #107, but only After taking Blake Freeland at 93 - would've been WELL worth the risk.
They may have evaluated Freeland like I do. A guy from a school that hardly ever produces pros, even when drafted highly; a school that plays weak comeptition; a player who showed up at the postseason all-star games and got thrown around like a ragdoll.

We know now that the Patriots wanted to trade down and take Mapu. That tells me the Patriots know they took Mapu a round too early. OK--they really wanted him though.

And they wanted Jake Andrews and Sidy Sow.

They wanted these players and realized that they had to take the guys they wanted even if that meant using picks higher than their scores dictated. Thats the draft, that's life, especially when you don't have a trade partner.

We know now that the Patriots wanted to trade down and take Mapu. That tells me the Patriots know they took Mapu a round too early. OK--they really wanted him though.
Not arguing that they didn't, but I really wonder why a glut of talent at a position often leads them to just devalue/ignore that position altogether in a draft (this isn't the first time; see: Linebackerpalooza in 2006).

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back