PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just dirty!!!

Miguel simply reported the facts. He didn't say that by being benched, Brown was losing $6.5M. He simply reported on it as a final step in an erosion of the $6.5M, as one in his regular string of reports on Patriot player contract status.

The Barstool hack then dramatized and distorted it to get clicks, by stating that the entire $6.5M was lost due to the benching.

This is a huge difference, and you know it.
Dante took a large step further but he also got lead into it by Miguel and you know it.

Exactly why you structure contracts with incentives. Patriots have done this with many players over the years and have never benched players to avoid paying incentives (to my knowledge). If anything I think Trent Brown did the patriots "dirty" by mailing it in for two seasons. his mental focus/toughness/attitude seem to be only thing holding him back.

Maybe, but I remember a time when Brown was offered more $ by SEA but chose to stay here for less. Then Bill played him by switching him to LT and Wynn to RT and names Fat Matt the OL coach. Then Bill brings in a bunch of cast offs to help out the line. Then Bill keeps putting Mac out there time after time after being benched...

No argument here.

See that's my point just because of this fact doesn't mean that Trent's stripes suddenly changed he's had these issues on other teams and for whatever reason it worked here for a bit. Mainly Scar it wasn't quite the same the second time around.
Correct, this wasn't Trent's first year with the team. Bill knew about Trent's ups and downs. Yet, he failed to get the most out of him. This is Belichick's failure as a HC. You can't give Bill praise for supposedly having players playing hard for him and then a pass for those that don't.

Correct, this wasn't Trent's first year with the team. Bill knew about Trent's ups and downs. Yet, he failed to get the most out of him. This is Belichick's failure as a HC. You can't give Bill praise for supposedly having players playing hard for him and then a pass for those that don't.
Sure Bill took the chance on signing him again I didn't mean to say that he doesn't have any culpability just that not everything is some damning indictment and reason to fire the man. Every tiny little thing you guys find doesn't have to be a reason to reach for pitchforks. Some things are just the cost of doing business and the risk/reward on a guy like Trent is one of those those things and I didn't see you begging to fire Bill when Trent helped us win in 2018.

Sure Bill took the chance on signing him again I didn't mean to say that he doesn't have any culpability just that not everything is some damning indictment and reason to fire the man. Every tiny little thing you guys find doesn't have to be a reason to reach for pitchforks. Some things are just the cost of doing business and the risk/reward on a guy like Trent is one of those those things and I didn't see you begging to fire Bill when Trent helped us win in 2018.
Not sure how you consider a 4-12 record (worse in the AFC) a tiny little thing. Let's assume they are all tiny little things. It's the accumulation of these little things and the pattern that's the reason to move on from Belichick.

1. There's a pattern since 2018, of Bill's team ending Dec-Jan with a losing record. That's 5 straight years. This is uncharacteristic for Bill's teams that were known as getting better as the season went on, playing their best football in Dec-Jan.

2. There's a pattern of his teams continuing to make dumb mistakes, penalties, TOs for the last four seasons. This goes to his inability to inspire or reach the younger modern players.

3. The drafts (been talked about ad infinitum).

4. The coaching staff decisions (ST, OC, QBC, OL) have been a liability.

5. His handling of the 1st RD QB1 (I know, he sucks, but still poorly handled).

6. His neglect of the offensive side of the ball from handling of OL personnel to total lack of a competitive/talented receiving corps.

7. His large investment in ST side of the ball (when it's impact has diminished due to rule changes). Yet, Pats ST is at bottom of the league.

8. His uber conservative decisions during games at key moments.

9. The constant drama coming out of Gillete in recent years, unheard of during the dynasty years.

The results of the above and many other decisions made by Belichick is a 27-38 record since 2019 with no playoff wins since the 2018 SB.

These are some of the tiny little things that happened this season:

1. Started 1-5, not since 1995.
2. Went 2-8, not since 2000.
3. Second consecutive losing season (not since '92-'93), their 3rd in four (not since '91-'94).
4. Lost 12 games, not since 1992.
5. Finish last in AFCE, not since 2000.
6. Finish last in AFC, not since 1992 (tied).
7. First time in franchise history Pats lose back-to-back games by >34 pts. (both worse loses in Belichick's career).
8. First time in Belichick's career that he gets shut out twice at home in one season.
9. First time in Belichick's career he has 7 home loses.

This is by far Belichick's worse season of his career and one of the Pats worse seasons since the early 1990s.

But hey, he's got the players playing hard for him, so there's that. Not a tiny little thing.

Not sure how you consider a 4-12 record (worse in the AFC) a tiny little thing. Let's assume they are all tiny little things. It's the accumulation of these little things and the pattern that's the reason to move on from Belichick.

1. There's a pattern since 2018, of Bill's team ending Dec-Jan with a losing record. That's 5 straight years. This is uncharacteristic for Bill's teams that were known as getting better as the season went on, playing their best football in Dec-Jan.

2. There's a pattern of his teams continuing to make dumb mistakes, penalties, TOs for the last four seasons. This goes to his inability to inspire or reach the younger modern players.

3. The drafts (been talked about ad infinitum).

4. The coaching staff decisions (ST, OC, QBC, OL) have been a liability.

5. His handling of the 1st RD QB1 (I know, he sucks, but still poorly handled).

6. His neglect of the offensive side of the ball from handling of OL personnel to total lack of a competitive/talented receiving corps.

7. His large investment in ST side of the ball (when it's impact has diminished due to rule changes). Yet, Pats ST is at bottom of the league.

8. His uber conservative decisions during games at key moments.

9. The constant drama coming out of Gillete in recent years, unheard of during the dynasty years.

The results of the above and many other decisions made by Belichick is a 27-38 record since 2019 with no playoff wins since the 2018 SB.

These are some of the tiny little things that happened this season:

1. Started 1-5, not since 1995.
2. Went 2-8, not since 2000.
3. Second consecutive losing season (not since '92-'93), their 3rd in four (not since '91-'94).
4. Lost 12 games, not since 1992.
5. Finish last in AFCE, not since 2000.
6. Finish last in AFC, not since 1992 (tied).
7. First time in franchise history Pats lose back-to-back games by >34 pts. (both worse loses in Belichick's career).
8. First time in Belichick's career that he gets shut out twice at home in one season.
9. First time in Belichick's career he has 7 home loses.

This is by far Belichick's worse season of his career and one of the Pats worse seasons since the early 1990s.

But hey, he's got the players playing hard for him, so there's that. Not a tiny little thing.
Again now you're making my point there are things that aren't tiny like the record this year or his drafting for several years running and just stick to that instead of nitpicking things like benching Trent.

Dante took a large step further but he also got lead into it by Miguel and you know it.

Miguel reported that the benching affected the final bit of incentive payout that was in the contract, and that the context was a gradual erosion of those incentives over time and several goals not met. The Barstool person reported that the benching led to the entire incentive being withdrawn, as if the coaching decision cost Brown $6.5M. Those are two different things entirely. The former is accurate, the latter is wrong. The former is a fact based report, doing fans a favor. The latter purposefully misleads fans in order to create benefits for the reporter.

When is it on the player? I get your fixation with all things Bill Hate, but when is the player supposed to show up and earn his money? When is the player supposed to be a professional and ear his 6.5m that he's leaving on the table?

Maybe, but I remember a time when Brown was offered more $ by SEA but chose to stay here for less. Then Bill played him by switching him to LT and Wynn to RT and names Fat Matt the OL coach. Then Bill brings in a bunch of cast offs to help out the line. Then Bill keeps putting Mac out there time after time after being benched.

I honestly can't blame Trent for dogging it after the **** show Bill has put out these last 2 seasons on offense. He's a good tackle that his coach failed to motivate. A lot of that seems to be happening lately, players not buying into Bill's BS.

Clearly, Trent played Bill in the end, not giving a **** about incentives. He's already getting ready for the offseason. Some team will pay him next season. Guaranteed. He'll have the last laugh.
Randomly switching Wynn and Brown last summer was the beginning of the end for both of them. Wynn basically went MIA halfway through the year and Brown has been a lazy malcontent since. The ripple effects of Bill's stupidity to put Patricia at OC and offensive line coach last year really stretched farther than I think most of us imagined.

All else aside, 31 is not old for an OT. If healthy, able and motivated, Brown should have several years of tread left wherever he moves on to.
It's old for one as injured as often as he's been. Those ankles and knees don't heal up quite as quick at 31 when you're 350 lbs.

The Patriots didn't screw Trent. They put playing incentives in his contract with the hope he would be motivated to play. Crazy that 6.5 Million dollars didn't motivate him to play hard. Glad he is gone.

When is it on the player? I get your fixation with all things Bill Hate, but when is the player supposed to show up and earn his money? When is the player supposed to be a professional and ear his 6.5m that he's leaving on the table?
Huh? When is what on the player? We've already acknowledged the player was dogging it.

That's not the issue being discussed. The player is well known to the team. The player is also known to have motivational issues. The HC re-signs the player despite all of the above. The HC must have a plan to counter the players negative issues. The player reverts to motivational issues. The HC plan failed.

Steve: you're a hater, wha, wha, wha

Come on man, you don't have to come riding in on your white horse to defend any and every perceived slight of Bill's reputation and honor. You guys, lol.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back