PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just a thought....4-3 for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is it at all possible BB goes away from 3-4 and uses our DL's for 4-3 this year?? Nothing written suggests that, except for the difficulty in finding players to fit a 3-4 with so many teams using that allignment.

From all things belichick...I was able to copy and post this quote from BB as well as the link to an article that is from the writers visit to Romeo Crennel at draft day. The Crennel article gives great insight into certain players and how they were rated.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=288369&Category=17

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/

Saturday, May 27, 2006
A 3-4 Defense Can Shut Door On Draft Options
"I've always been a proponent of the 3-4 front because of strategic reasoning. But stocking the 3-4 economically is becoming increasingly more difficult.
"Part of the problem is 3-4 teams have more competition for players who exclusively fit the scheme. A quarter of the league's teams are expected to run the 3-4 this season, including the Browns under second-year Coach Romeo Crennel — who helped make the 3-4 so popular with his success as defensive coordinator in New England.
"More teams are using it now than it any point since the mid-'80s. Just three years ago, only four teams used the 3-4.
"'There was a time there when you could look at certain guys (who fit the 3-4) and say nobody else in the league is going to have this guy rated very high because he's not a 4-3 end and he's not a 4-3 'backer,' Patriots Coach Bill Belichick says. 'That's not the case now.'"

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=288369&Category=17

I don't think we have the personnel, Bruschi is a short distance guy better to be a 3-4 ILB than a 4-3 MLB.

That said, I think we'll play 3 LB close to 50% of the time with an extra DB in for passing situations, basic nickel.

This comes up every few weeks..and the answer has always been NO!! This is a D with a base of 3-4...YES, they may play some 4-3 at times..and wiill, but the players are suited for 3-4..It is that simple!!

Pats726 said:
This comes up every few weeks..and the answer has always been NO!! This is a D with a base of 3-4...YES, they may play some 4-3 at times..and wiill, but the players are suited for 3-4..It is that simple!!

Here here. I am so sick of people suggesting this like clockwork. Seriously, I don't mean to be harsh, but it ALWAYS comes up here and it's tiresome. People need to do a little research before starting threads or something. This is not a complicated or unexplored issue.

patsox23 said:
Here here. I am so sick of people suggesting this like clockwork. Seriously, I don't mean to be harsh, but it ALWAYS comes up here and it's tiresome. People need to do a little research before starting threads or something. This is not a complicated or unexplored issue.

I propose that Ian forms a board of the "elite" posters. All posts must go through them first before they are posted on the board. Sure, there will only be 2 new threads per day but it will put an end to the bickering.

huskeralk said:
I propose that Ian forms a board of the "elite" posters. All posts must go through them first before they are posted on the board. Sure, there will only be 2 new threads per day but it will put an end to the bickering.

Here Here, and you are not on the list!!!! Anybody who thinks of a switch to the 4-3 has no concept of the BB defense. It has been drafted and signed for one specific goal. The 3-4 with smoke and mirrors.

huskeralk said:

Frankly, I would love to be able to read 2 new threads a day that were meaningful. Unfortunately, we're stuck at about 2 per week lately. And the threads that garner the most discussion are authored by our resident "adult performer".

dryheat44 said:
Frankly, I would love to be able to read 2 new threads a day that were meaningful. Unfortunately, we're stuck at about 2 per week lately. And the threads that garner the most discussion are authored by our resident "adult performer".

What do you expect. We are in the dead zone of football. There is practiclly nothing worth talking about. The draft is over and Training Camp has not started. We are simply wringing the last pittiful drops from the football well to sustian us until we make it to TC.

Digger44 said:
Here Here, and you are not on the list!!!! Anybody who thinks of a switch to the 4-3 has no concept of the BB defense. It has been drafted and signed for one specific goal. The 3-4 with smoke and mirrors.

I agree, I won't be on the list, nor will I be a poster here any longer. I'm sure you'll cream your drawers just thinking about it.

Did anybody bother to read what BB had to say.....and what I then said, before deciding to trash my post??

OK, good, now, please explain to me exactly what defense you propose, should any one of our elite LB's (Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin) be lost for an extended period of time.

My point wsa to say I was NOT suggesting we were going to do it - just that basically, if everyone else is going in that direction and if there are no players, (LB's) for us to find to fill the holes - what then??

Yeesh - lately, a bunch of self absorbed know it alls, are really nringing this group down.....

fgssand said:
Yeesh - lately, a bunch of self absorbed know it alls, are really nringing this group down.....

here here :agree: :eat3:

I would say that unless Marquise Hill finds a way to get on the field, the Pats actually don't have enough depth on the defensive line to play a 4-3 very much. They would have four starters (Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, and Green) and no backups other than the rookie Smith and last year's UDFA Wright. I think they are better off sticking mostly with a 3-4 defense.

14thDragon said:
What do you expect. We are in the dead zone of football. There is practiclly nothing worth talking about. The draft is over and Training Camp has not started. We are simply wringing the last pittiful drops from the football well to sustian us until we make it to TC.

I expect what we're getting. You're right, there is no alternative. So for the fifth Spring in a row we have threads concerning Most underrated Patriots, All-time favorite Patriots, Favorite Obscure Patriots, should we bring back (insert ex-Pat who is now a free agent here), there is no way (insert fringe roster guy) makes the team, Why (insert fringe roster guy) is a stone cold lock, Do you believe what Prisco wrote?, etc.

I'm not complaining. Nobody's forcing me to read them. I just wish there was something else.

dryheat44 said:
I expect what we're getting. You're right, there is no alternative. So for the fifth Spring in a row we have threads concerning Most underrated Patriots, All-time favorite Patriots, Favorite Obscure Patriots, should we bring back (insert ex-Pat who is now a free agent here), there is no way (insert fringe roster guy) makes the team, Why (insert fringe roster guy) is a stone cold lock, Do you believe what Prisco wrote?, etc.

I'm not complaining. Nobody's forcing me to read them. I just wish there was something else.

Cheer up - only -- 98 -- days left until kick off weekend!!

fgssand said:
Did anybody bother to read what BB had to say.....and what I then said, before deciding to trash my post??

OK, good, now, please explain to me exactly what defense you propose, should any one of our elite LB's (Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin) be lost for an extended period of time.

My point wsa to say I was NOT suggesting we were going to do it - just that basically, if everyone else is going in that direction and if there are no players, (LB's) for us to find to fill the holes - what then??

A know it all is better than a know nothing. This team is not built for a 4-3. Fact. End of story.

Digger44 said:
A know it all is better than a know nothing. This team is not built for a 4-3. Fact. End of story.

Did I ever say that it was? Did you even bother to read what I wrote?
Read what BB wrote as I posted to start this thread. Read the article from Crennel which I found very informative. I thought my post brought something of interest to the readers here.

Please check your insults at the door, I do not understand why you felt the need to even bother to post your useless and hostile reply.

fgssand said:
Did I ever say that it was? Did you even bother to read what I wrote?
Read what BB wrote as I posted to start this thread. Read the article from Crennel which I found very informative. I thought my post brought something of interest to the readers here.

Please check your insults at the door, I do not understand why you felt the need to even bother to post your useless and hostile reply.

Did I ever say you were a know nothing? Now that you bring it up, if the shoe fits..... I don't understand you need to bother posting a stupid speculation on the 4-3. Fact is we can post any darn thing we wish. Please check you useless speculation at the door.

fgssand said:
Cheer up - only -- 98 -- days left until kick off weekend!!

Okay, I am going to say it -- and I know the **** is about to hit the fan as a result -- but the fact that the World Cup fits nicely in the gap makes it a lot easier to deal with.

This is about the friendliest place I've been to since accidentally stumbling across the Black Panther's website. Lighten the hell up people. Ripping people for their posts especially when they're football related is just tacky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes