PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JUST A Rumor...TIFWIW....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peppers signed his contract today because this is the time that franchised players who are playing under the franchise tender usually sign their tender offer - right before the start of the season. This is because they do not want to play and get hurt in the preseason.

At this point, if you want Peppers here. say good bye to Wilfork, Mankins, and a few others now!!! The Pats would need to clear about $11 million of cap space to trade Peppers now that the July date has passed where he can get a long term deal. He HAS TO play under his franchise tender of about $16 million and will be a free agent next season.

not true.....his franchise tender is 16.7m this year,the Panthers CAN franchise him again,in 2010,for the Franchise Tender amount of 20.0196m.

BTW,the Patriots or any team for that matter can sign any player for any amount of money they chose.....it just depends how creative they want to be.

To say the pats could not afford to sign Peppers is ludicrous.This guy wants to play in a 3-4,he has stated this numerous times.

After what went down with Seymour this week nothing would surprise me, not even Peppers. I doubt it is going to happen but im just saying nothing would surprise me anymore with this team.

Earlier in the year when he was available it did not look like a good fit since he is a main 4-3 LB but now with the obvious transition to a 4-3 he would be a great player to look at.

They'll be running a 4-3, not a Tampa-2. Brooks probably doesn't belong in the type of 4-3 they'll be running, and he's slowed considerably in recent years. I'd rather bring back Seau than bring in Brooks.

PleaseMakeItStop.jpg

If their endgame of "Seymour for a 2011 1st" was "a 2011 1st for Peppers", they probably would've just kept Seymour, who's cheaper and younger.

If their endgame of "Seymour for a 2011 1st" was "a 2011 1st for Peppers", they probably would've just kept Seymour, who's cheaper and younger.

I agree completely. BB himself doesn't know what he may do with that pick yet. He's simply added it to his treasure chest and will more than likely, toy with numerous gm's for 18 months or so till he increases the VALUE.....

not true.....his franchise tender is 16.7m this year,the Panthers CAN franchise him again,in 2010,for the Franchise Tender amount of 20.0196m.

BTW,the Patriots or any team for that matter can sign any player for any amount of money they chose.....it just depends how creative they want to be.

To say the pats could not afford to sign Peppers is ludicrous.This guy wants to play in a 3-4,he has stated this numerous times.

You got me. The Pats would have to free up $11.2 million of cap space to fit Peppers under the cap. AGAIN, Peppers cannot get his deal renegotiated at this point and the Pats would have to obsorb his $16.7 million cap number this year. There is a rule for franchised players that if they do not have a long term deal by a certain point in the offseason, he can only play for the one year franchise tender number. That period has passed.

I was one of the bigger "the Pats could afford Peppers" guys on this board, but now that the date has passed where Peppers could negotiate a long term deal, I conceed they can't because they cannot free up $16.7 million for this year and wouldn't trade for him for one year. The Pats cannot give him a long term deal at this point.

just a rumor,I heard on ESPN:

Julius Peppers signed his contract,today.

The end game for the Patriots is to send the 2011 number one to Carolina for Peppers.Espn discounts this,but recognizes there must be some kind of end game to the Seymour trade.

Might be Peppers,might be someone else,TIFWIW.

Peppers signed the Franchise Tender back on June 24th. I believe that there was a very limited window in which the team could discuss a long term deal that would replace that contract (30 days?). After that window closed, the Panthers could not sign a new, long term deal with Peppers..

4PM on July 15th was the deadline to get a long term deal done with Peppers. Now that date has passed, he has to play under his franchise tender money for one year.

The future for Panthers DE Julius Peppers is once again going to be up in the air at the end of the year, this after he and the Panthers could not reach a long-term deal by the 4pm deadline today.

The Charlotte Observer reports that the two sides did try to get a deal done, but nothing could be reached. “Both sides tried,” said Peppers’ agent, Carl Carey. “Julius is looking forward to the season.”

The one-year deal for Peppers pays him a $16.683 million base salary, plus he can earn more than $2 million more in incentives that carry out for his previous contract.

Charlotte wanted to get a long-term deal done with Peppers since it would have given them some salary cap relief, but couldn’t get the job done.

There’s a couple of options for Peppers and the Panthers at the end of the year – he can ink a long-term deal, he can be franchised again, or the team can allow him to be a free agent and he can go elsewhere.

Panthers Franchise Player Peppers and Team Can’t Get a Long-Term Deal Done NFL Gridiron Gab

4PM on July 15th was the deadline to get a long term deal done with Peppers. Now that date has passed, he has to play under his franchise tender money for one year.

Panthers Franchise Player Peppers and Team Can’t Get a Long-Term Deal Done NFL Gridiron Gab

Not to add to the stupidity of this thread but that rule is only for the team who franchised him. If he were traded his new team would be free to sign him to a long term deal. However they would have to have the cap room to absorb the tag.

Not to add to the stupidity of this thread but that rule is only for the team who franchised him. If he were traded his new team would be free to sign him to a long term deal. However they would have to have the cap room to absorb the tag.

not to add to the stupidity of some of the posters on this thread,the "end game" for the patriots,could be a trade for another player they covet,not just Peppers,which seems unlikely.
This was the reasoning behind the ESPN analysis.
This end game trade could put the pieces together re: the motivation behind moving Seymour,at this time.

..........see...even people in the little yellow buses can comprehend this,now

It's not the way I interpreted the rule, and apparently it wasn't the way at least two teams did...which seems odd to say the least. Though as written that interpretation could go either way. Fine with me either way, though if the July 15th is etched in stone for any team (and not just the prior team) it would appear to put an end to all speculation like the Peppers trading on a date certain...which would be a blessing.

Funny thread . We have 5 million in cap space and to confirm the trade you need 20 million .

You know how many big contracts needs to be reworked to generate 20 million cap space to even exploring this option ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News