PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman getting reps as RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What this ultimately tells me is that BB sees that the WR position is going to be very deep and is looking for ways to get Edelman on the field more often. RB is a good role for him as he is dangerous, in his own right, in space and is also a threat to throw the ball.

I keep thinking back to a Jets game, where the Jets kept putting in that wild cat (pulling Pennington) with the kid who couldn't throw, but who ran all over us. Now, imagine Julian, who seems to run and juke ok, and has the abilitiy to throw the ball........to welker, Moss.

Chris Johnson: 5'11", 191lbs

Julian Edelman: 5'10", 198lbs

Just saying.

Yes, Edelman is the same size as about most of the speed/elusive backs in the NFL, as the above noted, I could see him rushing 1st and 2nd down sometimes. His juke moves at RB, that would be a site to see.

One thing we can all agree on, talk about getting value for a 7th ROUND PICK! :rocker:

A punt returner, a pretty good slot WR, emergency QB, wildcat, reps at RB, reps at DB. Wow.

Yes, Edelman is the same size as about most of the speed/elusive backs in the NFL, as the above noted, I could see him rushing 1st and 2nd down sometimes. His juke moves at RB, that would be a site to see.

One thing we can all agree on, talk about getting value for a 7th ROUND PICK! :rocker:

A punt returner, a pretty good slot WR, emergency QB, wildcat, reps at RB, reps at DB. Wow.

A Troy Brown reincarnation :rocker:

It has long been establish that the round following the 5th round of the draft and preceeding the 7th round of the draft is refered to as the "Brady round" instead of by number.

Would it be too premature to say that the draft rounds be henceforth known as....

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
The Brady Round
The Edlemen Round

"The Patriots have added a little bit more to his plate this training camp. On Thursday, Edelman participated in blocking drills with the running backs, and it seems like every day he’s getting more opportunities to run the ball."

^^ So we know that if he can get the blocking drills down, he will be more likely to play in a Faulk type role.

"The Patriots have added a little bit more to his plate this training camp. On Thursday, Edelman participated in blocking drills with the running backs, and it seems like every day he’s getting more opportunities to run the ball."

^^ So we know that if he can get the blocking drills down, he will be more likely to play in a Faulk type role.

I agree, this is the most important part. Faulk's blocking, especially for a guy his size, is a huge part of why he is so important on 3rd downs.

Also, Faulk is getting up there in age. Pretty soon we'll be needing a starter AND a 3rd down back. If Edelman can turn into the latter, it means we can focus on finding the former.

It has long been establish that the round following the 5th round of the draft and preceeding the 7th round of the draft is refered to as the "Brady round" instead of by number.

Would it be too premature to say that the draft rounds be henceforth known as....

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
The Brady Round
The Edlemen Round

Sounds good, as long as we can call Round 3 The Shawn Crable Round.

I keep thinking back to a Jets game, where the Jets kept putting in that wild cat (pulling Pennington) with the kid who couldn't throw, but who ran all over us. Now, imagine Julian, who seems to run and juke ok, and has the abilitiy to throw the ball........to welker, Moss.

Why would we remove the ball from the hands of one of the best QBs in the NFL? Who is more likely to make a big play from the QB position Brady or Edleman. The wildcat offense is an offense for teams that don't have a good enough QB to move the ball down field. Even the Dolphins moved away from it when Henne took over for noodle arm. (For the record I respect Pennington but he has to have the weakest arm of any QB in the league.)

Last edited:
I agree, this is the most important part. Faulk's blocking, especially for a guy his size, is a huge part of why he is so important on 3rd downs.

Also, Faulk is getting up there in age. Pretty soon we'll be needing a starter AND a 3rd down back. If Edelman can turn into the latter, it means we can focus on finding the former.

I wonder if this has more immediate implications. For instance, isn't Sammy Morris the alternative to Faulk on 3rd downs? I know people have been saying Taylor is vulnerable. But could this signal that Morris could be in jeopardy?

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
The Brady Round
The Edlemen Round

Matt Cassell begs to differ!

I wonder if this has more immediate implications. For instance, isn't Sammy Morris the alternative to Faulk on 3rd downs? I know people have been saying Taylor is vulnerable. But could this signal that Morris could be in jeopardy?

I doubt that Morris is in jeopardy if he is healthy. Morris reminds me of Antowain Smith in that he isn't stellar, but he is a serviceable banger (and both came by way of Buffalo!). If this move is to say anything about our RBs, I suspect it has more to do with durability concerns and not wanting to overuse guys.

We saw how quickly that position went from a position of depth to weakness when a couple guys got hurt. If Edelman playing RB occasionally means keeping Faulk fresher for key 3rd downs, which in turn means less work for Morris so he is fresher and healthier for 1st and 2nd down (and in turn so is Taylor), I'm all for it.

Who? The name sounds vaguely familiar? Is he on the Patriots roster? By any chance is he related to Patrick Chung?

The Real question is who, among many, is the UDFA memorial rounder?

Why would we remove the ball from the hands of one of the best QBs in the NFL? Who is more likely to make a big play from the QB position Brady or Edleman. The wildcat offense is an offense for teams that don't have a good enough QB to move the ball down field. Even the Dolphins moved away from it when Henne took over for noodle arm. (For the record I respect Pennington but he has to have the weakest arm of any QB in the league.)

Because one of the best qb in the NFL does not throw on every down. By that logic, you would have put Mike Vrabel in at TE on every play. With Edelman having spot duty at running back, you have the opportunity to pitch/hand him the ball and if he has an open target (I'm guessing he can throw well on the run) then hits him. Brady then, throws the next play.......to Edelman.

Just because we have the best QB in the league and 2 of the 5 best WRs doesn't mean we should stand in a line like the redcoats and say, "Heah is the play we will be running next." In fact, we're supposed to be minutemen, right? :ugh:

There is nothing wrong with throwing in some gimmic plays, or even saying, "Hey, maybe if someone besides TFB throws the ball on this play, we would have a better chance for success." You know why? Because we would be the only team in the league that would even contemplate such an idea. No one will expect it, and that's a little bit of the unpredictability that I would like to see in the offense.

I'm a bit weary of the wildcat, from what I've gather most Miami fans hate it now, and simply refer to it as the "formation." Many of them don't want to see it because they feel it throws Henne off his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News