John Clayton: "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Clayton "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

Clayton said our draft sucked?

FIRE BB

FIRE PIOLI

GET RID OF KRAFT

this organization sucks, they cant draft worth a sh*t, were gonna SUCK next year

well probably be last in our division

yup...and Clayton knows what he is talking about:rolleyes:

The only real way to evaluate a draft is to look back on it five years from now.

I doubt anyone here, in the NFL, or in a studio somewhere, would have ranked any of the top 5 picks outside of the top 10. But it is almost guaranteed that at least 1 of these guys is going to be mediocre, if not a complete bust. The reality is that the team with the bust in the top 5 will be the biggest loser, cause the player's salary will kill them. Even if Mayo sucks, his salary will be manageable enough that the pick will be more of a missed opportunity than a franchise killer.

With all that said, its probably a good thing Clayton dislikes our draft. The dude has likely never played a down of football in his life, and has no more authority on NFL talent than any Joe at home. He is usually proven wrong, so its better that he dislikes our first 2 selections than likes them.

John Clayton one of the biggest losers...

The article was complete at that point for me.

BTW, the guy(s) who keep harping on tiny frail Wheatley ought to watch his videos. He looks powerful and long limbed, not a midget type at all.

Its not the size that counts,Its how you cover it :p

The only real way to evaluate a draft is to look back on it five years from now.

I doubt anyone here, in the NFL, or in a studio somewhere, would have ranked any of the top 5 picks outside of the top 10. But it is almost guaranteed that at least 1 of these guys is going to be mediocre, if not a complete bust. The reality is that the team with the bust in the top 5 will be the biggest loser, cause the player's salary will kill them. Even if Mayo sucks, his salary will be manageable enough that the pick will be more of a missed opportunity than a franchise killer.

With all that said, its probably a good thing Clayton dislikes our draft. The dude has likely never played a down of football in his life, and has no more authority on NFL talent than any Joe at home. He is usually proven wrong, so its better that he dislikes our first 2 selections than likes them.

Clayton playing football? - Hell, the left or right upper crossbar of a goalpost is thicker that the width of Clayton

Re: John Clayton \"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\"

John Clayton one of the biggest losers...

The article was complete at that point for me.

BTW, the guy(s) who keep harping on tiny frail Wheatley ought to watch his videos. He looks powerful and long limbed, not a midget type at all.

He is not going up against bona fide and experienced NFLers. There is a huge difference. Perhaps the biggest step in all of sports.

I thought that was pretty slick on my part. :rocker:

I find that rocker guy to be the most aggrevating of them all.

I expect a reply with 10 of them!;)

I don't think anyone has used this one in the history of the forum.

:robot:

Clayton said our draft sucked?

FIRE BB

FIRE PIOLI

GET RID OF KRAFT

this organization sucks, they cant draft worth a sh*t, were gonna SUCK next year

well probably be last in our division

yup...and Clayton knows what he is talking about:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity. What if Clayton said that the Jets draft totally sucked.

Wouldn\'t you all be kissing Claytons ass and saying the guy is a genius?

Try looking at what he said with an open mind and not a biased one.

I agree that as of now and compared to what most of the other teams did today, we are on the negative side of the coin.

That could change tomorrow.

I don't think anyone has used this one in the history of the forum.

:robot:

I saw an icon on a forum the other day with the character yankin his chain against a wall - Funny as all hell,wish we had it here,I could use it on some of our goofballs and bullies.

As much as I hate to agree with John Clayton, I do think that the Pats picking 7th was not good for them.

The top prospects of the class had already been taken, and Mayo probably would have been available later.

That being said, I wouldn't call the Pats losers of the draft, Mayo may have been a reach but superbowl caliber teams need to draft by need and not simply by best player.

I think they had a good deal of trouble dealing the 7th pick due to all the top prospects being taken, maybe if a Mcfadden fell it would have been a lot easier and also more value for the pick. At least they were able to dump it off on NO, they saved a good deal on salary by dropping down 3 picks.

As much as I hate to agree with John Clayton, I do think that the Pats picking 7th was not good for them.

The top prospects of the class had already been taken, and Mayo probably would have been available later.

That being said, I wouldn't call the Pats losers of the draft, Mayo may have been a reach but superbowl caliber teams need to draft by need and not simply by best player.

I think they had a good deal of trouble dealing the 7th pick due to all the top prospects being taken, maybe if a Mcfadden fell it would have been a lot easier and also more value for the pick. At least they were able to dump it off on NO, they saved a good deal on salary by dropping down 3 picks.

Well they valued getting out of #7 and dropping down to grab Jarod Mayo over staying at #7 and having a choice of Harvey,McKelvin,Rivers,Albert or Ellis most of who were ranked higher than Mayo on draft boards - That tells you they think the other 5 higher projected players will not be as good a pro as Mayo and they have proven to know better than most so we will see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

This guy is an idiot,Mayo would have dropped to 20 or so but it could have been worse if we had picked an OL in the first round or even a Chris Long who is a 4-3 player. - I think we passed with a B- on day one,certainly not so bad.

Atlanta made a few bonehead decisions IMO and Baltimore had a worthless trade in the lower first round and should be held more as losers than NE at this point.

clayton is an idiot. plain and simple. i hate these evaluations of team's draft's the day of or the day after the draft. hate them. and with clayton's logic, he makes me furious. mayo wasnt getting past detriot at 15, if he even made it that far.

Anybody who claims to know how any team did on draft day is an idiot. Nobody here knows who was a winner and who was a loser today.

Check back in 3-10 years and then give a grade.

Last edited:

Bill Belichick > John Clayton

There's only one person, make that two (Scott Pioli > John Clayton) people's opinions that matter to me when it comes to draft decisions and neither are ever gonna be Clayton's.

Clayton is a used, infected douchebag... Why would you listen to anything he had to say except to laugh in his face? It's pretty clear that he's been hating on the Pats for years now. Why, who knows, except he's a smarmy creep with an obvious agenda. Reminds me of Borges but more nerdy and hasn't been caught for plagiarism... yet.

Just out of curiosity. What if Clayton said that the Jets draft totally sucked.

Wouldn\'t you all be kissing Claytons ass and saying the guy is a genius?

Try looking at what he said with an open mind and not a biased one.

I agree that as of now and compared to what most of the other teams did today, we are on the negative side of the coin.

That could change tomorrow.

allright, through an unbiased viewpoint, i can tell u think with utmost certainty....

Clayton hates the pats and all things patriots related

if we had KC's draft instead of ours, he would come out saying dorsey is a heatlh risk, flowers sucks, and brandon was taken too early, and all were overpayed

u dont WANT to know about clayton through a biased view

Could never figure out how such a Mr. Peepers type dude could get so much credibility.. he is right up there with the rest of the bored ass clown press who will grab at any straw to discredit this organization... I trust the judgement of BB and SP.

Re: John Clayton \"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\"

Overall I tend to agree with Clayton. To a point.

The Mayo pick was OK. Not great but OK. I believe Rivers may have been a better choice but Mayo was projected early so we cant be down on it yet as it may turn out ok.

However the rest of the day certainly was a loser for the Pats After waiting all day long, anticipating some kind of a move by them to move up a bit in the 2nd round...nothing happened and then came the 2nd round pick after many hours and they draft another 5-9 cb midget who soaking wet doesnt weigh as much as a sack of flour.

Clayton is pretty much on target with this one and many fans here just dont want to agree with him because of his past history coming down on the Pats a lot and his participation in the spygate fiasco.

However in this instance I think he is correct. Overall the Pats can be considered in the losers bracket as of now.

Its not easy agreeing with Clayton but realistically this time he is pretty much on target.

The Pats were very, very lackluster today.

I can't agree with any of that.

1. Rivers is widely acknowledged to be a bit slow on the uptake in terms of playbook and scheme analysis and understanding - how can a guy like that play for us? Plus he's a 4-3 OLB who's had little if any experience playinginside, and certainly not in a 3-4. Mayo is a smart kid, as aknowledged by BB, he's played inside a hell of a lot, and he's had experience playing in a 3-4.

2. Have you seen the amount of talent that's still to come off the board in terms of OLB's? We could even grab another CB yet, AND there's still two very very talented DT's on there who we could grab. Why waste a pick trying to move up when there's a plethora of talented players still knocking about? As for Terence, Bill and Scott obviously feel that Wheatley gives them something that the rest of the CB's can't, and I'll trust their judgement 100 times out of 100.

3. Clayton is a hater, always has been, always will be. He says we've had a terrible day, despite us picking up an extra third rounder, and drafting a player WHO HE HIMSELF said could go on to be a Pro-Bowler. But the main point is this - how long has it been accepted that the time to judge how well you've drafted is after your first two picks?

No offence fella - but get a grip.

I find it laughable when draft grades are handed out when these guys haven't played a single down of NFL football.

Clayton may have hated the pick but Mel Kiper loved it. He gave Mayo an "A" and had Mayo rated higher than Rivers.

From the Atlanta Constitution a few days ago:

The guy that's the most intriguing is Jerod Mayo," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said. "He is a Tennessee linebacker who played outside in their bowl game and did a great job [13 tackles against Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl]. By my own grade, he's the best linebacker in the draft."

140 tackles menas he's tough and always around the ball. He's one of the fastest LBs in the draft and he's slightly bigger than Lofa Tatufu of the Seahawks. All Tatufu did was go to the pro bowl at MLB last year.

I find it laughable when draft grades are handed out when these guys haven't played a single down of NFL football.

Amen, G-Cat. The naysayers need to get a life. Do they have 1/10 the knowledge of the Pats draft team? Have they spoken to their college coaches (and opponents' coaches)? Have they read the medical reports? Interviewed the players? Broken down their game films? Worked them out?

I don't pretend to know more than the naysaying draftniks on this board and the media (eg Clayton). But I do know who to trust when some here pretend they can outcoach our coaches and outdraft the Pats braintrust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents