PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Clayton \\\"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\\\\\"

Can we please boot some of the newbie myopics who have taken over this once awesome site? Please?

What is a myopic? Is it good, or is it bad?

Why do you say this was once an awesome site?

Re: John Clayton "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

First of all, as I'm sure you all agree, these grades mean nothing. The only thing you can grade on now is perceived value, but it only takes one team to take your guy when you start playing games and then you lose out big time. BB doesn't play those games. That's why his picks tend to be considered reaches at the time.

Also, another thing about these grades bother me. Basically, they don't give good grades based on value created but rather how many picks you made. Every year the team that gets the good grade is the one with multiple early picks. This year it's the Chiefs. Some think they've made some nice picks. I don't see how they can get anything above an average grade when you take into account that one of the picks they used was acquired through the trade of their top defensive player, the league's reigning sack leader, and a consensus top 5 DE in this league. Sure, maybe their hands were tied, and he wanted a new contract, but at the very best they are looking to maybe get equal production - and that's unlikely. I'm sure KC would have traded all their picks in the draft to us for Brady. Then we could have picked a bunch of top college players and be considered big draft day winners...

LMFAO!! :rofl:
Man you just made me spill my wine.

Well, I spilled my beer while writing. You are obviously on the West Coast...

Re: John Clayton \\\"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\\\\\"

If Patsox23 said it believe me,It is NOT GOOD concerning you!

Re: John Clayton \\\"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\"

Or in a dark alley in NYC drinking ripple from a paper bag while leaning against a dumpster. :D

Last edited:

Mayo was just picked by one of 3 of ESPN's guys (forgot who it was who said it but its not Casserly who I enjoy listening to,hes very good) in a draft discussion to win defensive rookie player of the year and Mayo was picked by 1 of them,I guess they did not discuss this with Clayton first or there would have been bloodshed on the studio floor :eek:

Casserly's on NFL Network, not ESPN.

It was former Raiders GM Mike Lombardi who proclaimed Jerod Mayo his Rookie of the Year, also on NFL Network.

As far as Clayton and the bevy of buffoons at ESPN are concerned, I don't see how a judgment can be made off of two picks, but picking winners and losers on Day 1 of the draft is a fool's errand anyway. It'll be interesting to see what is said after Day 2 has concluded.

Last edited:

I was also quite surprised.

As far as Clayton goes with the “Probably a Pro-Bowler, but bad pick” he’s obviously talking from an economical standpoint. He probably could have very well fell into the 20’s and we could have gotten him for a lot cheaper. No matter the player, the cheaper the better as always.

But since that wasn’t an option, we traded down as low as we could and got the guy we wanted.

When a guy isn’t projected to go in the Top 20 and you give him Top 10 money I can see where Clayton’s coming from economically speaking. But at the end of the day most of us are hyped about Mayo and see a very bright future ahead so all is well.

Fair enough...;):rofl:

Re: John Clayton \"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\"

Overall I tend to agree with Clayton. To a point.

The Mayo pick was OK. Not great but OK. I believe Rivers may have been a better choice but Mayo was projected early so we cant be down on it yet as it may turn out ok.

However the rest of the day certainly was a loser for the Pats After waiting all day long, anticipating some kind of a move by them to move up a bit in the 2nd round...nothing happened and then came the 2nd round pick after many hours and they draft another 5-9 cb midget who soaking wet doesnt weigh as much as a sack of flour.

Clayton is pretty much on target with this one and many fans here just dont want to agree with him because of his past history coming down on the Pats a lot and his participation in the spygate fiasco.

However in this instance I think he is correct. Overall the Pats can be considered in the losers bracket as of now.

Its not easy agreeing with Clayton but realistically this time he is pretty much on target.

The Pats were very, very lackluster today.

Loser's bracket? How can you possibly come to that conclusion. Mayo was a riser and a veteran of more than a few SEC scuffles. The PAC 10 is a great conference, and Rivers is a nice player, but being as productive as he was in an extremely competitive conference should count for something.

As to the second round pick, are we in the loser's bracket because you were annoyed with having to "sit around all day" waiting for the team to make a pick you didn't agree with? Or was it because of the pick?

Again, I'll take BB and Pioli's word for it that Wheatley is a physically gifted and more importantly, versatile player.

This was a very solid first day. Lets wait and see how Sunday turns out.

I would define "myopics" as people who are short-sighted.

This used to be a phenomenal site, with input from really inspired and informative posters. Since the Super Bowl run, it has become flooded with the dregs of recess and homerish, uber-casual fairweather types masquerading as fans.

Casserly's on NFL Network, not ESPN.

It was former Titans GM Floyd Reese who proclaimed Jerod Mayo his Rookie of the Year, also on NFL Network.

As far as Clayton and the bevy of buffoons at ESPN are concerned, I don't see how a judgment can be made off of two picks, but picking winners and losers on Day 1 of the draft is a fool's errand anyway. It'll be interesting to see what is said after Day 2 has concluded.

Yes,It was NFL Network,Sorry for the typo

You know,I thought I saw stretch marks around the outer lips and mouth of Clayton on my HDTV but thought it was just a fuzzy picture from the Hi-def,Now I know how he got those stretch marks
Peyton you devil you :cool:

That's just not right, but it's that's some funny ****. LMFAO!! :D

This was a very solid first day. Lets wait and see how Sunday turns out.
Oh I think Sunday will be an improvement but I dont think Wheatley will be on the roster come opening day. He may not even make it past mini camp. We shall wait and see.

I liked Keith Rivers and would've been happy(-ish) with him at #7, but the guy was the 3rd-best LB on his team last year. Mayo was the playcaller for the Vols' D, playin gin the middle and outside. I think we'll be okay with the choice BB made.

Oh I think Sunday will be an improvement but I dont think Wheatley will be on the roster come opening day. He may not even make it past mini camp. We shall wait and see.

Do you mean because he will be on IR or because he stinks?

Rookie 2nd round cuts are very rare, by the way.

Nope, I'm right here in good old Boston. :rocker:

Let it be known throughout the land that THIS is the exact quotation that revealed you as the most ignorant poster of the day. LOL! So now Wheatley may not even make it past minicamp? A 2nd rounder who they liked so much they didn't even CONSIDER any trade proposals? REALLY?!

Holy crap.

I would stop while the goings good if I were you,You made your point - lets leave it at that and put a halt on Wheately is cut by training camp.

I do not believe that a #2 or even a #3 has ever been cut in training camp in the BB era and I don't expect it this time although a #2 may be cut next year -only the #2 was from 2 years ago Chad Jackson if he don't deliver in probably his final shot at making this team as a true threat at WR and not just some waste as a STer as a #2 pick

Do you remember a guy that did nothing in the 3 years here and yet stayed on the team until his unfortunate death? - Marquise Hill

one can term a team a draft day loser if they picked someone they dont need or is not a projected good player or a pick which makes no sense or made mind boggling trades.
All pats did was pick a player at 10 who couldve been available at 20 in the process adding a 3rd round pick ,so they are losers ?

Nope, I'm right here in good old Boston. :rocker:

Wow, you guys are troopers. Go to bed already!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back