PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Clayton "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

He says we probably drafted a pro-bowler.

Then fails us.

What a ******* ******.

Hilarious!! We drafted a possible probowler who has played just about every defense you can name. And we are the losers? Hope you guys at ESPN enjoyed you satelite feed and interviews. Oh wait................

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

This guy is an idiot,Mayo would have dropped to 20 or so but it could have been worse if we had picked an OL in the first round or even a Chris Long who is a 4-3 player. - I think we passed with a B- on day one,certainly not so bad.

Atlanta made a few bonehead decisions IMO and Baltimore had a worthless trade in the lower first round and should be held more as losers than NE at this point.

Plus we got a 09 2nd rounder from SD so they could draft Jacob Hester

Re: John Clayton \\\"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\\\\\"

I liked Keith Rivers and would've been happy(-ish) with him at #7, but the guy was the 3rd-best LB on his team last year. Mayo was the playcaller for the Vols' D, playin gin the middle and outside. I think we'll be okay with the choice BB made.

this is why I think BB went for this guy....his ability to comfortably play at either Middle LB or OLB.......and he is supposedly very sharp.....and a student of the game in the same way as Brady....studying tape after tape etc.........The Wheatley pick I agree was a questionable one......I am so tired of us going with smurf CB's.......we need height to go up against the majority of today's WR's........anyways.....we shall see how they all work out......but overall from what I have seen......the draft is a B-/C+........

PS would have REALLY liked to see them go after Hester instead of giving that pick away to SD.....I think this kid is going to be a HUGE player in NFL....We need someone ese besides Maroney and Morris next year as key RB's....Morris is coming off a nasty injury and Maroney has been inconsistent....better than prior year, but still off and on success....alot of that had to do with OL play too obviously....but since we didn't address that situation much with the draft or FA....he is going to be running behind that same line............

We:

- Moved down and still got the guy we wanted.
- Swapped a late 5th round pick for an Early 3rd.

The only way we would have done any better in my view is if someone in the top 6 fell and another team was desperate to get them ahead of someone else and get a sweet deal offered them like the Chiefs. God, giving up 2 1's and a 2?

That is really a poor job by Clayton. I realize they're all expected to do grades/winners-losers, etc., but the idea that the Pats would be losers by drafting down, picking up a third rounder, and getting the guy they wanted because the guy they picked may have dropped a few more slots is absurd. Naturally, you try not to pick a guy you can get in later rounds. But when everyone concedes he's going to be gone later in the round, you take him! You don't get to magically say, "you know, he'll be there at 15. We'll take him then." Idiotic.

And I like this draft a lot, btw.

Although Clayton is usually incorrect, He is accurate in his assesment here. This whole draft was a waste for the pats. Matter of fact, BB haven't had a successful draft overall since he has been here. Yea, he may have gotten 1 or 2 flukes but overall, he isn't an elite recruiter and this year draft just goes to reflect that.

Last edited:

Of course it is, but judging by this thread, that page got multiple hits--exactly what espn wants. Congrats to all of you for joining their target audience.

I didn't have to click the link to know it was stupid, and thus I didnt. The OP posted enough information for me to get the gist of Clayton's stupidity (and I doubt everyone here clicked on it either). ESPN can **** off. They're not gettin my clicks and I still dont watch or visit their site ever.

Last edited:
Well lets consider the souce, I turned into the review on sports center, and they talked about the other AFC East teams.. Espn just wants the Pats to fail, with the exception of Berman, I know Espn, is on the black list along with the Herald and Peter King..

OK, now I understand. John Clayton knows more about evaluating potential NFL talent than BB and Pioli. Then tell me, why isn't he working as a GM for an NFL team? I'm waiting....

Re: John Clayton \"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\"

Overall I tend to agree with Clayton. To a point.

The Mayo pick was OK. Not great but OK. I believe Rivers may have been a better choice but Mayo was projected early so we cant be down on it yet as it may turn out ok.

However the rest of the day certainly was a loser for the Pats After waiting all day long, anticipating some kind of a move by them to move up a bit in the 2nd round...nothing happened and then came the 2nd round pick after many hours and they draft another 5-9 cb midget who soaking wet doesnt weigh as much as a sack of flour.

Clayton is pretty much on target with this one and many fans here just dont want to agree with him because of his past history coming down on the Pats a lot and his participation in the spygate fiasco.

However in this instance I think he is correct. Overall the Pats can be considered in the losers bracket as of now.

Its not easy agreeing with Clayton but realistically this time he is pretty much on target.

The Pats were very, very lackluster today.

Are you a Clayton clone?

OK, now I understand. John Clayton knows more about evaluating potential NFL talent than BB and Pioli. Then tell me, why isn't he working as a GM for an NFL team? I'm waiting....

This really isn't the game, though. ESPN produces pretty much total garbage, and they know it, which is exactly why they don't hire informed, insightful analysts. They have a few, to save face and to establish a modicum of credibility, but it's not about "truthfulness", per se.

The game is that, with an otherwise uninformed viewer-ship, what they say goes. They can create a reality that holds true within their sphere of influence. That is exactly why they can run with certain stories, and totally ignore others. So when Bill Belichick offends one of their "analysts" or doesn't grant favorable access or interviews, off goes the machinery of opinion construction as retribution. In this scenario, John Clayton doesn't need to be informed, he needs to be posited AS informed, and not challenged by somebody who is actually knowledgeable (when there are challenges, it's usually two blow hards going at it like children, in an embarrassing display).

And, with no other real competition, there's nowhere else to turn, except the web. This is also true for most network television and cable news - they are in the business of constructing realities rather than exposing them. And this is why applying a critical eye to presented information is so important for everybody.

This explains a lot of sports reporters (e.g., Borges) as well as television/radio "personalities". Their authority is their believability, not their truthfulness. It also explains why a lot of journalistic outlets aren't really as profitable as they otherwise might be. The Washington Times and NY Post have both operated at a loss for quite some time (decades?). Their usefulness is as loudspeakers of favorable opinion making, not truth telling. And this holds true for both side of the political spectrum. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN was bleeding viewers, but I don't know if that's true.

Can we please boot some of the newbie myopics who have taken over this once awesome site? Please?
It's an internet problem. In real life, when kids start acting out in front of adults, they are told, "Hush, now, dear. The grownups need to talk to each other. Go play with your cousins." And they do.

On the internet, the kids are louder and take up more psychic space than their betters, and there is no way to make them shut up. The are like two-year-olds who just learned that they can say the word "No" but don't yet know how to use it except to scream it out loud.

It's an internet problem. In real life, when kids start acting out in front of adults, they are told, "Hush, now, dear. The grownups need to talk to each other. Go play with your cousins." And they do.

On the internet, the kids are louder and take up more psychic space than their betters, and there is no way to make them shut up. The are like two-year-olds who just learned that they can say the word "No" but don't yet know how to use it except to scream it out loud.

It's also a generational problem where people seem to be unable to admit or recognize when they're wrong, be honest about it, and correct it. Instead, they persist or whine or blame somebody else.

Although Clayton is usually incorrect, He is accurate in his assesment here. This whole draft was a waste for the pats. Matter of fact, BB haven't had a successful draft overall since he has been here. Yea, he may have gotten 1 or 2 flukes but overall, he isn't an elite recruiter and this year draft just goes to reflect that.

Yup, except when he did well he did poorly. :rolleyes: Maybe I missed the sarcasm.

And certain idiots insist they are better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696
John Clayton: "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day".

Well, considering that the Pats have now shut espn out of Foxboro, what would we expect Clayton's boss to tell him to say? I have a feeling that we are nowhere near the end of a pissing match between the Pats and espn after the way the 4 letters used spygate for ratings. Expect Sherrif Goodell to call all parties to his teepee to smoke the peace pipe soon after May 13th.

Have to agree.... kind of. 2007=F! 2008 without a doubt after Mayo=F+, because of Crable. The rest were JAG's. What were they thinking here? Who knows. It's not BB and Pioli. They are at the mercy of the scouts that bring them back this crap and convince them these guys are real players. Other than Crable, they were either forth of fifth rounders of FA guys they wasted picks on. If they don't feel like drafting they should just trade out till 2009.
Wait, It gets better. They traded up for a WR from UCLA that no one has even heard of before. It turns out he is a second or third string safety. What relative who works on the Pats staff demanded he be picked. Can anyone out there give me ten names that will work out better that were drafted behind this stiff? Hint fellas. He would have been available as a FA.

I am totally embarrassed by this draft for this organization, and last year we were all hoping was a fluke. RK time for some draft board help.

Here is my prediction for two years from now. The QB from SDS makes the team because in another stroke of genius, we drafted Cassel who will be gone. Mayo and Crable will make it. That's it. The rest are gone. Any takers?

Fellas, time for new scouts!
DW Toys

Last edited:
this 3rd string nobody you are blasting had over 1000 yards in kick returns last season and averaged 30 yards a return, leading the Pac 10...run to Clues-R-Us and buy yourself a couple gross

Have to agree.... kind of. 2007=F! 2008 without a doubt after Mayo=F+, because of Crable. The rest were JAG's. What were they thinking here? Who knows. It's not BB and Pioli. They are at the mercy of the scouts that bring them back this crap and convince them these guys are real players. Other than Crable, they were either forth of fifth rounders of FA guys they wasted picks on. If they don't feel like drafting they should just trade out till 2009.
Wait, It gets better. They traded up for a WR from UCLA that no one has even heard of before. It turns out he is a second or third string safety. What relative who works on the Pats staff demanded he be picked. Can anyone out there give me ten names that will work out better that were drafted behind this stiff? Hint fellas. He would have been available as a FA.

I am totally embarrassed by this draft for this organization, and last year we were all hoping was a fluke. RK time for some draft board help.

Here is my prediction for two years from now. The QB from SDS makes the team because in another stroke of genius, we drafted Cassel who will be gone. Mayo and Crable will make it. That's it. The rest are gone. Any takers?

Fellas, time for new scouts!
DW Toys

DW, enjoy your three minutes of 'fame'. This post will come back and haunt you.

I haven't read this thread so I apologize if this has been said:

Clayton didn't complain about Mayo's talent level or fit into the Pats system, just that the Pats didn't want to pay a rookie 4 mil a year or 7 mil a year and that's what will happen (4).

So the Pats are losers on day 1 because they are a fiscally responsible organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes