PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton: "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Clayton "New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day"

but picking winners and losers on Day 1 of the draft is a fool's errand anyway.

Of course it is, but judging by this thread, that page got multiple hits--exactly what espn wants. Congrats to all of you for joining their target audience.

Clayton has usually been wrong about most things over the last couple of years or so, which is funny because he used to be more accurate in gaining inside info amd making predictions. I think he has just fallen out of touch and is no longer considered an authority or an insider when it comes to the NFL.

His premises are wrong: Mayo would not have lasted past 15. When your premises are wrong, your argument is wrong.

10th = 6 year contract.

Even if we managed to trade down, and he got past Detroit @ 15, we are then looking @ a 5 year contract. There is some value.

Re: John Clayton \"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\"

Overall I tend to agree with Clayton. To a point.

The Mayo pick was OK. Not great but OK. I believe Rivers may have been a better choice but Mayo was projected early so we cant be down on it yet as it may turn out ok.

However the rest of the day certainly was a loser for the Pats After waiting all day long, anticipating some kind of a move by them to move up a bit in the 2nd round...nothing happened and then came the 2nd round pick after many hours and they draft another 5-9 cb midget who soaking wet doesnt weigh as much as a sack of flour.

Clayton is pretty much on target with this one and many fans here just dont want to agree with him because of his past history coming down on the Pats a lot and his participation in the spygate fiasco.

However in this instance I think he is correct. Overall the Pats can be considered in the losers bracket as of now.

Its not easy agreeing with Clayton but realistically this time he is pretty much on target.

The Pats were very, very lackluster today.

How do you feel about Josh McDaniels, out of curiosity?

Don't you miss the good old days when we could count on Borges to trash the picks and then we get to laugh at him later?

I said this when the Pats drafted Mankins. "Consesnsus" is meaningless if you really like a guy and someone close behind you is also very interested. Whether 15 teams rate someone as a second round pick does not matter. There are no sure things -- we just have to wait and see.

I was shocked by one thing -- did I read corrctly that BB said Mayo looked good at the combine? We don't need no stinkin' combine; we look at film and big players make big plays on big days.

Of course it is, but judging by this thread, that page got multiple hits--exactly what espn wants. Congrats to all of you for joining their target audience.

Not really though. Since ESPN turned into baby food for half adults, I've almost completely stopped reading the site/watching the channel. The occasional visit due to some nonsense story hardly makes up for the time I now spend with other resources.

:D Very funny!

Mayo was just picked by one of 3 of ESPN's guys (forgot who it was who said it but its not Casserly who I enjoy listening to,hes very good) in a draft discussion to win defensive rookie player of the year and Mayo was picked by 1 of them,I guess they did not discuss this with Clayton first or there would have been bloodshed on the studio floor :eek:

64, a quick but important clarification. You didn't hear that analysis of Mayo winning the NFL defensive Rookie of the year on ESPN. That came from a panel discussion on the NFL Network. I saw the same show replayed this morning. (the more I hear about Mayo the more I LOVE this pick. See what Darren McFadden said about him?? WOW!!!! And they both played in the highly skilled SEC. WOW!!!! :rocker:)

Clayton is TESPN. TESPN had ZERO credibility. The Patriots ignore TESPN.
We should all do the same. If you have NFLN watch their draft coverage.
The NFL Network is top shelf!! Tabloid Entertainment & Sports Programming Network is ------it!

Re: John Clayton \\\"New England one of the biggest losers on first draft day\\\\\\\"

Let it be known throughout the land that THIS is the exact quotation that revealed you as the most ignorant poster of the day. LOL! So now Wheatley may not even make it past minicamp? A 2nd rounder who they liked so much they didn't even CONSIDER any trade proposals? REALLY?!

Holy crap.

You tell 'em 23. Hey, I know of a site we could steer all these nitwit newbies who are dragging the site down to. They'd fit right in with the Admin. over there who is the most ignorant poster on his own board and is looking for more geniuses to interact with, folks like him who have already determined the Wheatley pick means our FO are a bunch of dumb ****s...

:rofl: :rofl:

Let me guess...about the same as Ellis Hobbs I'd venture...LOL

How can you say 'loser' when you still have a 3rd pick from day one, which could be used for a vet. Also, by trading out you move away from that huge $$$$ that kills your salary cap. The two players were the best players on the board for the Patriots in the minds of the Pats front office, and that is all I need to know. BTW, with the new energy efficient light bulbs, doesn't that make Clayton obsolete.

Did you guys even read what Clayton wrote? He was criticizing from a purely economic standpoint. Now, I think it's hard to call a team a draft "loser" for only that reason but still, he's not really wrong.

Obviously the experts that liked the Patriots draft are the smart ones though. What a coincidence.

My first impression of the Patriots two draft picks was similar
to that of John Clayton. They reached at least 10 picks to get
Jarod Mayo and one or two rounds to get Terrence Wheatley.
After a night's sleep, the picks look better to me.

Jarod Mayo was obviously drafted for need. If the Patriots had
drafted for value, they probably would have selected an offensive
lineman or running back. The player the Patriots selected was the
top rated middle linebacker in the draft. He is fast, a good tackler,
and smart enough to learn the Patriots system under the tutelage
of Tedy Bruschi. He will play some this year and then be the
starter for the next four or 5 years.

Wheatley was a member of a deep group of good cornerbacks.
All pretty good but not great. He was probably downgraded because
he is short and sat out with a bad wrist in 2005. He had productive
seasons at Colorado the past 2 years. He is fast and a good cover
corner. I'm sure that both Don Capers and Bill Belichick had a hand
in selecting him. Their judgement should be good enough for me.

linebacker in the

I don't think anyone has used this one in the history of the forum.

:robot:

I'd have to check the archives on that one. But for now, I'll give it to you

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

This guy is an idiot,Mayo would have dropped to 20 or so but it could have been worse if we had picked an OL in the first round or even a Chris Long who is a 4-3 player. - I think we passed with a B- on day one,certainly not so bad.

Atlanta made a few bonehead decisions IMO and Baltimore had a worthless trade in the lower first round and should be held more as losers than NE at this point.

I'd grade our division 1st day as follows:

#1 Jets
#2 Bills
#3 Pats
#4 Dolphins

Not enough to change the balance of power in the division, and Fins remain firmly locked in the basement.

All draft grades are stupid. We'll see in about 3 years who did better in this draft.

That said, not having #31 sucked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

This guy is an idiot,Mayo would have dropped to 20 or so but it could have been worse if we had picked an OL in the first round or even a Chris Long who is a 4-3 player. - I think we passed with a B- on day one,certainly not so bad.

Atlanta made a few bonehead decisions IMO and Baltimore had a worthless trade in the lower first round and should be held more as losers than NE at this point.

Chris long isn't a 4-3 player. Mayock talked about this yesterday. Long played the 5 technique in the 3-4 in college.

People need to consider he had these times while coming back from foot injuries. There is a good chance fully recovered he may have the numer 1 times for a cornerback. Remember Curtis Martin. He will be behind the likes of Merryweather, perhaps Law, Bryant, Tank, Hobbs, learning the position. Look fro him big on special teams this year.

Mayo with intelligence as a play caller will be learning from Bruschi, prepping to take that role. He raised Bellicheck eyebrown analyzing film. That to me is exciting. We also got another linebacker from Michigan in the second round. We also got that guy from the Jets Hobson a sa stop gap.

I see the pats defensively making gradual transition. This is how they do things

Look at Chad Johnson, and Thomas as second to third year rookies to step up and take major rles this year.

Every year the Pats are consideed draft loosers as they seem to know more then the rest of the world. It just makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back