PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JIMMYYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they would suck, and I don't think you do either. Even so, there's a big difference between sucking and being the Browns.

In this instance, not making the playoffs means sucking....without those 2 they do not make the playoffs

Until Super Bowl 50, no QB over 38 had ever won a Super Bowl. Now 2 have.

But QB's have had great seasons at age 40, winning a Super Bowl is 1 out of 32 teams each year and how many have even had a starter over 38? So that stat seems meaningless. And Manning was horrible that year.
I understand wanting to believe Brady is different, maybe he is, but considering the Patriots philosophy is to be competitive every year and they believe they found a QB that can lead them after Brady. I think through all this it is pretty obvious the Patriots believe Jimmy G is a top flight NFL QB and Schefter has always been the most ties into Patriots thinking and if Bill B says they are not trading Jimmy G and he sees him every day then you can believe he thinks Jimmy G is special..
You can have him this year and then franchise a second year and then decide or you can get rid of him now and take a risk if Brady gets hurt or in 2 years he declines like every other QB in NFL history has.
Brady is still a human being getting to age 40. Patriots believe Jimmy G is special. QB is the most important position in the NFL. Seems simple why he's not being traded.

But QB's have had great seasons at age 40, winning a Super Bowl is 1 out of 32 teams each year and how many have even had a starter over 38? So that stat seems meaningless. And Manning was horrible that year.
I understand wanting to believe Brady is different, maybe he is, but considering the Patriots philosophy is to be competitive every year and they believe they found a QB that can lead them after Brady. I think through all this it is pretty obvious the Patriots believe Jimmy G is a top flight NFL QB and Schefter has always been the most ties into Patriots thinking and if Bill B says they are not trading Jimmy G and he sees him every day then you can believe he thinks Jimmy G is special..
You can have him this year and then franchise a second year and then decide or you can get rid of him now and take a risk if Brady gets hurt or in 2 years he declines like every other QB in NFL history has.
Brady is still a human being getting to age 40. Patriots believe Jimmy G is special. QB is the most important position in the NFL. Seems simple why he's not being traded.

This all great unless Brissett turns out to be better than JG which of course nobody knows either way. Not even BB knows what JG is going to be like over the next 5 or 10 years but he does have a SB MVP on the roster.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see JG stay but I just don't see how when TB is still TB.

OT: I'm going to post this here. Ran into this while watching my Twitter feed.

You are going to blame the messenger? They will have no problem keeping him because he is going to play. It is not Schefter's team LOL.

I blame the messenger when he isn't giving the entire message. He has yet to mention how they are planning on working out the logistics of keeping Garoppolo. As far as I can see it, these are the options going forward:

1.) Keeping Garoppolo for 2017 and letting him walk in FA, most likely netting the Patriots a 3rd round comp pick in 2019. (I think most of us would agree that this is the least likely scenario, but technically still a possibility)

2.) Keeping Garoppolo for 2017 and keeping him on the roster in 2018 by franchising him. (Again, possible, but I've yet to see anything from anyone, anywhere that suggests that this situation is at all likely, but again, not impossible.)

3.) Keeping Garoppolo for 2017, and signing him to an extension. For this to be a possibility, Brady realistically would have to be traded, released or retired 1 year from now. Because of Tom's God-like status, this is unthinkable for some, but given his age it should be a consideration for all of us. For Schefter to be so adamant that Garoppolo will not be traded, he has to believe this is the most likely scenario. My problem with this idea, sentimentality aside, is that it runs counter to everything we have heard from Brady on this.

4.) Trading Garoppolo now. I believe this is the most likely scenario for several reasons. First, his value will most likely never be higher. Sure, they could trade him next year after franchising him, but I have a hard time believing that a team would pay more at that point given they will have one (very expensive) year of control vs. one very cheap year plus the ability to franchise, as a team trading for him now would. Second, I trust in their ability to develop a QB. That's why I find Schefter's comment about the Browns to be so absurd. There is a lot more to the organization than Tom Brady, and I think he knows that too. Even if Tom does show his age rapidly, and Brissett show's absolutely nothing, the team may suck for a year or two, but then they will just have access to more talented potential replacements at the top of the draft.

tl:dr Schefter's story only makes sense if you think Brady is gone after next year, I don't

Last edited:
Unless Brissett really impresses next pre season, it's safe to say he will be only a backup here, either that or if the Patriots decide to give him a shot in the future they will have a complete different offense because he can't run this offense.

JimmyG showed much more from the very beginning, outplayed Ryan Mallet that I don't think is a hot garbage and was by all accounts a guy the coaching staff had plenty of confidence in case he needed to step up for Tom. Brissett show a good heart and leadership intangibles, but awful mechanics and readings. He is a project, JimmyG came in NFL ready.

An argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

there is no argument from the other end.....only nonsense

I don't believe they think he is special. He will be traded if the Pats can sell high and sucker a team into thinking he's a future star worthy of giving up a first round pick. Otherwise he stays till the end of 2017 and after that the Pats have a comp pick when he signs elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back