PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets work out Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually an endorsement of the Dobson pick.

Not necessarily. I liked the Dobson pick when it was made. Had no problem with it then, which is why I'm not going to rewrite history and rip on it too hard now. Some of what happened with him was unforeseeable, and the rest was IMO worth the risk knowing what we could've known at the time. In hindsight, I should've been a lot more wary of his small hands and subpar 20 yard and 3 cone times, but at that time I wasn't and it looks like the Pats weren't either. Lesson learned, maybe.

But a lot of people on this forum, even in the moment, were upset that we took Dobson over Allen and Kelce. Those people have been proven right.

Last edited:
Mitchell looks like hes bucking that trend.
How great would it be to have Keenan Allen

Mitchell does kinda look like a direct response to Dobson. Dobson had tiny hands and dropped a ton of balls, so naturally the Pats go and get the receiver with the biggest hands in this draft. Dobson struggled to get open because, for all the size and straight-line speed in the world, he had very little agility. So in Mitchell, the Pats drafted someone who has at least average agility without too much regard for his below average height.

I also believe that the broad jump is the combine measure that best correlates to burst and functional athleticism in general, and while Dobson was average there, Mitchell killed it by scoring in the top 10 percent.

Mitchell:

Dobson:

Basically, to get from Dobson to Mitchell you're trading height, weight and 40 time--all the things that made Dobson an intriguing prospect--for hand size, broad jump and 3 cone.

i am so not scared of Dobson making an impact, it's not even funny.

I more regret the opportunity cost that was Dobson in the draft. I would take at least 3-4 of the following players over Dobson in hindsight:

Pick 59 Aaron Dobson

2 60 Atlanta Falcons Robert Alford CB Southeastern Louisiana
2 61 Green Bay Packers Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
2 62 Seattle Seahawks Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
3 63 Kansas City Chiefs Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati
3 64 Jacksonville Jaguars Dwayne Gratz CB Connecticut
3 65 Detroit Lions Larry Warford G Kentucky
3 66 Oakland Raiders Sio Moore LB Connecticut
3 67 Philadelphia Eagles Bennie Logan DT LSU
3 68 Cleveland Browns Leon McFadden CB San Diego State
3 69 Arizona Cardinals Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
3 70 Tennessee Titans Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB Connecticut
3 71 St. Louis Rams T. J. McDonald S USC
3 72 New York Jets Brian Winters G Kent State
3 73 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Glennon QB N.C. State
3 74 Dallas Cowboys Terrance Williams WR Baylor
3 75 New Orleans Saints Terron Armstead OT Arkansas-Pine Bluff
3 76 San Diego Chargers Keenan Allen WR California
3 77 Miami Dolphins Dallas Thomas G Tennessee
3 78 Buffalo Bills Marquise Goodwin WR Texas
3 79 Pittsburgh Steelers Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State
3 80 Dallas Cowboys J. J. Wilcox S Georgia Southern
3 81 New York Giants Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
3 82 New Orleans Saints John Jenkins DT Georgia

Pick 83 Logan Ryan
For me, it's not the guys they could have had. You can almost always find another player that was taken later that would have been a better pick.

I think most of us were frustrated with the four seasons Dobson was given to show something. Most guys don't get that much time on the roster but he did for some reason. It's still a head scratcher for me.

I heard he had alligator arms throughout the entire workout.
They turned out the lights, everyone else went home. Dobson is still out there waiting for the ball to come to him.

Mitchell does kinda look like a direct response to Dobson. Dobson had tiny hands and dropped a ton of balls, so naturally the Pats go and get the receiver with the biggest hands in this draft. Dobson struggled to get open because, for all the size and straight-line speed in the world, he had very little agility. So in Mitchell, the Pats drafted someone who has at least average agility without too much regard for his below average height.

I also believe that the broad jump is the combine measure that best correlates to burst and functional athleticism in general, and while Dobson was average there, Mitchell killed it by scoring in the top 10 percent.

Mitchell:

Dobson:

Basically, to get from Dobson to Mitchell you're trading height, weight and 40 time--all the things that made Dobson an intriguing prospect--for hand size, broad jump and 3 cone.

Great post. Small hands cannot be coached up. So far, Mitchell looks like the guy Dobson was supposed to be.

I heard he was getting ready to sign a contract with them, but he dropped the pen.
PLUS there was a spelling error on the contract itself! How could they spell his name Dropsem! Show some respect! Is it Dobson...

For me, it's not the guys they could have had. You can almost always find another player that was taken later that would have been a better pick.

I think most of us were frustrated with the four seasons Dobson was given to show something. Most guys don't get that much time on the roster but he did for some reason. It's still a head scratcher for me.
They were hoping his heart and passion would come around. It never did.

Not necessarily. I liked the Dobson pick when it was made. Had no problem with it then, which is why I'm not going to rewrite history and rip on it too hard now. Some of what happened with him was unforeseeable, and the rest was IMO worth the risk knowing what we could've known at the time. In hindsight, I should've been a lot more wary of his small hands and subpar 20 yard and 3 cone times, but at that time I wasn't and it looks like the Pats weren't either. Lesson learned, maybe.

But a lot of people on this forum, even in the moment, were upset that we took Dobson over Allen and Kelce. Those people have been proven right.

What I'm saying is if there are only a half dozen players taken after him who have proven to be considerably better, that's very very few in a "hindsight" analysis. In that way, the data presented supports the pick as a reasonable selection.

Mitchell:

Dobson:

Where did you get those charts? Very cool.

What had me most excited about the Dobson pick was the Patriots and Jets worked him on in a slushy windy wintery storm and he caught every pass I remember the article perfect for those cold Foxboro nights.
Sighs Wtf happened.

What I'm saying is if there are only a half dozen players taken after him who have proven to be considerably better, that's very very few in a "hindsight" analysis. In that way, the data presented supports the pick as a reasonable selection.
I don't think most of us were frustrated with the wasted pick. It's the amount of time the guy was given. In my opinion Both Martin and Gafney showed more this preseason than Dobson did in the three plus years he was here. For some reason the team kept giving this kid another chance while cutting other guys who performed better. It's pointless to cry over a missed pick.

The draft is a crap shoot. The NFL is loaded with late round picks and UDFAs. The HOF probably has some too.

Do the Jets want to be NE light or what? It seems like they go after every ex-Patriot. Maybe they heard Kraft's "We are all Patriots" speech and believed he was talking to them.

The draft is a crap shoot. The NFL is loaded with late round picks and UDFAs. The HOF probably has some too.

Do the Jets want to be NE light or what? It seems like they go after every ex-Patriot. Maybe they heard Kraft's "We are all Patriots" speech and believed he was talking to them.

It's the JETS being themselves. No matter what they try, in the end, it always ends up the same. It's like they have this unconscious desire to achieve a high level of mediocrity.

NYJTRUCK.jpg

A lot of those guys taken after Dobson had character concerns, major ones.

They will strike it rich one of these days....hopefuly mitchell

im pretty sure every team but the teams highlighted regret the choice they made over the players highlighted.

hindsight is a wonderful thing as an armchair gm.

I was about to post something similar. So out of the next 23 picks, BB had about a 20% chance of picking a better player.

It's good to know that the draft is such an exact science.

A lot of those guys taken after Dobson had character concerns, major ones.

as if the patriots have never gambled on players with character concerns?

I was about to post something similar. So out of the next 23 picks, BB had about a 20% chance of picking a better player.

It's good to know that the draft is such an exact science.

WRs drafted in the first 3 rounds of the 2013 draft, from Dobson down:

Aaron Dobson WR Marshall 2 27(59) New England
Terrance Williams WR Baylor 3 12(74) Dallas
Keenan Allen WR California 3 14(76) San Diego
Marquise Goodwin WR Texas 3 16(78) Buffalo
Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State 3 17(79) Pittsburgh
Stedman Bailey WR West Virginia 3 30(92) Los Angeles

3 players who are much better, to date, than Dobson
1 players who's played at about Dobson's level
1 players who's been worse

Short of choosing Goodwin, or reaching for a player 2 rounds early, BB couldn't have drafted the position worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST