PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets owner wants change of time for September Jewish Holiday games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one thinking that the NFL messed up here? This situation was anticipated, the Jets did due diligence by requesting that these problems be avoided (which there are multiple ways of accomplishing) and the NFL didn't place a high enough priority on these requests to get it done.

Jewish high holidays are commonly observed and refusing to acknowledge legitimate religious concerns is just a sign of arrogance. That is what this boils down to.

Am I the only one thinking that the NFL messed up here? This situation was anticipated, the Jets did due diligence by requesting that these problems be avoided (which there are multiple ways of accomplishing) and the NFL didn't place a high enough priority on these requests to get it done.

Jewish high holidays are commonly observed and refusing to acknowledge legitimate religious concerns is just a sign of arrogance. That is what this boils down to.

For the record, keep in mind that the NFL is trying to simultaneously satisfy a lot of different goals. I'm not trying to absolve them of blame here, but it is at least theoretically possible that in trying to satisfy other practical requirements, they had no choice but to give the JEST those two home games.

That said, the way I see it, the primary use of NFL stadiums should be football games. I think that the scheduling of dates should be done earlier than it is, and I also find it absurd that the NFL had to change games because of U2 concerts (nothing against U2, of course ;)).

I am Jewish, although not very observant. I don't see anyproblem with the Jets hosting two games during the High Holidays. Most teams have games during these holidays and there are Jews in every city.

The Chargers have to leave their families for Christmas while Tennesssee must host a home game on Christmas and the last time I checked Tennessee is still in the Bible Belt. So there are potentially a much higher percentage of Christians who are aTitans fans than are say Jets fans.

I guess I can see how Jewish Jets fans would be upset that they will miss two games due to the holidays, but I am sure they are not the only team with home games on those dates and I am also sure that teams with home games on those dates have season ticket holders who are observant Jews. There is no way to win here.

The fact of the matter is league scheduled games on the highest holidays for most of the religions in this country this season. They either must not schedule games on these days (and other than Christmas which is on a Friday) it would have thrown the schedule into a tizzy or upset someone. I don't know if there is a way to resolve it.

Personally, I will be tailgating for the U2 concert before sundown on Rosh Hashannah. So I guess I am not the best Jew to comment on this.

They share a stadium, so someone was going to get screwed on this deal, I think that Roger Doger should have made some concessions here and allowed for each team to have a Home and Away game those two weeks and have both games start at 1pm - I mean it can't be that hard to make happen, can it?

The Owner asked for it, give it to him.

It is a reasonable expectation that the fans who just spent a ton of money on PSLs should be able to see at least 7 out of the 8 home games.

Absolutely right but the fault in my mind lies with the Jets. They should have addressed this when they looked at the calendar. You can figure out when the holidays fall years in advance. Compare it to last year when the Pats and Jets both knew that they would have 4 west coast games. Early on the Patriots asked the league for back to back games out west to minimize the number cross country trips. The Jets didn't and ended up with 4 trips and whined about it. Supposedly in this case the Giants wrote to the league asking for away games those weeks. According to reports on ESPN (no link intentionally) there was a miscommunication with the Jets and the league. More likely they called to inquire but didn't make a formal request. If it was so important or had they thought about it, they should have made a written formal request to the league.
The league can move the second game back to 1:00 and that solves the problem for the most part as Yom Kippur doesn't start until sundown that night.

Last edited:
I quote the great Walter Sobchak:

Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't ****ing ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shiat don't ****ing roll! Shomer shabbos!

Absolutely right but the fault in my mind lies with the Jets. They should have addressed this when they looked at the calendar. You can figure out when the holidays fall years in advance. Compare it to last year when the Pats and Jets both knew that they would have 4 west coast games. Early on the Patriots asked the league for back to back games out west to minimize the number cross country trips. The Jets didn't and ended up with 4 trips and whined about it. Supposedly in this case the Giants wrote to the league asking for away games those weeks. According to reports on ESPN (no link intentionally) there was a miscommunication with the Jets and the league. More likely they called to inquire but didn't make a formal request. If it was so important or had they thought about it, they should have made a written formal request to the league.
The league can move the second game back to 1:00 and that solves the problem for the most part as Yom Kippur doesn't start until sundown that night.

The news story I read reported the Jets asked for it, and the NFL messed up and didn't give it to them (no link, sorry - CNNSI). I'm not really one for making concessions for most things, but the NFL moves game times anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to move those two games up to the early slot. That's all the Jets were asking for.

Now I must go shower for an hour for defending the Jets ...

Incorrect .... The 'sabbath' in the Jewish religion is from sundown Friday to sundown saturday night - Sunday games are not involved unless you are going by the Catholic/Christian faith and in christianity, I am not sure of how strict the religion guidelines are pertaining to this

I know this,I am one of those Jews who did this all my childhood

Sure, but I think his point being that to the vast majority of fans Sunday is "supposed" to be the day of worship and the NFL probably doesn't give a hoot about whose religion they interfere with when scheduling games. Besides, I'm sure God wouldn't care too much because he's definitely a fan.:D

If I were to pick a city that has a team in the NFL that is far far second to NYC in terms of Jewish population it would probably be Miami as my guess,but it would not even be remotely close to NYCs numbers

Nowhere even comes close to the Jewish population of NYC, which is only second to Israel in terms of population.

Did the league buy the stadiums when I was on vacation? Did the league buy the teams? These are NOT NFL stadiums. They are mult-purpose stadiums.

For the record, keep in mind that the NFL is trying to simultaneously satisfy a lot of different goals. I'm not trying to absolve them of blame here, but it is at least theoretically possible that in trying to satisfy other practical requirements, they had no choice but to give the JEST those two home games.

That said, the way I see it, the primary use of NFL stadiums should be football games. I think that the scheduling of dates should be done earlier than it is, and I also find it absurd that the NFL had to change games because of U2 concerts (nothing against U2, of course ;)).

If PJ says its ok to play this game, then the Jets owner should sthu. :D

When PJ says most things that's OK with me ;)

Thanks fellers!:D

Does the game small smack dab in the holiday or could it be avoided by just changing the time to before or after sunset? If the latter, it sounds reasonable to lobby for the change.

I enjoyed a nice seder in Phuket this year. Instead of matzoh I had beer. And instead of abstaining from bread, I had more beer.

Nowhere even comes close to the Jewish population of NYC, which is only second to Israel in terms of population.

There are more Jews in NYC than there are in Jerusalem.

There are also more Puerto Ricans in NYC than there are in Jerusalem.

The news story I read reported the Jets asked for it, and the NFL messed up and didn't give it to them (no link, sorry - CNNSI). I'm not really one for making concessions for most things, but the NFL moves game times anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to move those two games up to the early slot. That's all the Jets were asking for.

Now I must go shower for an hour for defending the Jets ...

Well, according to this the Jets may have assumed and not actually requested (and we know what happens then):

"The Giants requested to be on the road for those two weeks. The Jets never put in a formal request but believed there was a longtime understanding with the league that neither New York team should play at home on both holidays."

I agree, though -- they need to fix this. As GodInAGreyHoodie points out, 25% of home games is a lot.

Thanks fellers!:D

Does the game small smack dab in the holiday or could it be avoided by just changing the time to before or after sunset? If the latter, it sounds reasonable to lobby for the change.

I enjoyed a nice seder in Phuket this year. Instead of matzoh I had beer. And instead of abstaining from bread, I had more beer.

PJ, That's funny as h*ll! Remember though, beer is liquid bread!:eek:

There is an "easy" solution, but I sure hope for the Pats sake it does not happen.

Week 2 the Pats are at the Jets; the league could flip flop the two Pats-Jets games.

The reason I would vehemently oppose this idea is that if it were to happen it would put the Pats on the road for three straight games: week 10 at Indy, week 11 at Jets (rather than in Foxboro), and week 12 at New Orleans.

Well, blame Robert Kraft (and other owners in the league who are having U2 at their stadium on game days) for the league changing the game because of U2. Kraft signed the contract with U2. U2 has always been a very popular band in this area even long before they exploded nationally. U2 got their foothold in the US through the Boston area. There is no way that U2 would pass on coming to Foxboro. I am sure that Kraft could have negotiated another day if he held his ground.

Since Kraft signed the contract, the NFL was accommodating one of their owners, not U2.

Beforehand, the NFL should have tried harder to move at least ONE of the conflicts if requested. That said, the NFL can't start massive moving of schedules to avoid holy days like Christmas, the High Holidays, etc. because next there will be lobbying to move games during Ramadan and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes