PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo suffers knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, at the same time, Mayo is the quarterback of the defense and is the one of the main pillars of the team, so while I anticipate them restructuring his contract into a longer one, I really doubt they'll simply cut him.

Unless that knee is absolutely shredded, I expect that he'll be back next season. I was just pointing out that the finances allow for the Patriots to cut loose from him without too much of a hit, so Breer's thought has more basis than anything Volin was tweeting.

My disagreement is where you try to use getting to the AFCCG as evidence that Mayo's not an impact player, while ignoring the obvious fact that Wilfork was also out while the Patriots made it that far.

Is Mayo an impact player in the same caliber as Vince?

Mayo consistently makes good, fast decisions, has incredible range, is a great tackler, comes off blocks very well and can cover. Although Vince can play every spot on the line, a lineman of his size does not grant nearly the scheme versatility that having someone so versatile and fast at the MLB position.

Mayo consistently makes good, fast decisions, has incredible range, is a great tackler, comes off blocks very well and can cover. Although Vince can play every spot on the line, a lineman of his size does not grant nearly the scheme versatility that having someone so versatile and fast at the MLB position.

That's not scheme versatility. That's comparing a LB vs a DL.

Yet, at the same time, Mayo is the quarterback of the defense and is the one of the main pillars of the team, so while I anticipate them restructuring his contract into a longer one, I really doubt they'll simply cut him.

Simply cut him no - but I would expect the situation to be comparable to Wilfork's, where the team won't simply accept the contract as is, either. I would be surprised if they didn't approach Mayo and ask to turn some of the salary into incentives (or something like that).

Mayo would then be within his rights to say no, considering he's just getting to the meaty part of his contract, but given the relationship between Mayo and the team, I would be surprised if something couldn't be worked out.

That's not scheme versatility. That's comparing a LB vs a DL.
Position is a major factor. That said, Chandler Jones offers more scheme versatility than someone like Spikes. No matter how you slice it, tho, Pats ask a lot from Mayo which grants them tremendous flexibility. There are few players in the NFL that offer the scheme versatility that Mayo does. He is an extremely under-rated player by many on this board.

Mayo's cap hit jumps to over $10million in each of the next two seasons. The team could restructure, if it doesn't mind putting some 'dead' money in the last year (2017), and 2016 is the year the cap savings would really kick in, but they'd save $4.6 on Mayo's deal with $6m in dead money if they cut him next year (not to mention the option to make it a post-June 1 cut, which would make the hits $3.6m in 2015 and $2.4m in 2016).

While I don't doubt the accuracy of the cap analysis, I think the team would probably need to replace him, and that might cost something approaching what they save.

Further, I know what you've been wondering, and yes, Belichick does have a name for his testes; the left one is "Mayo" and the right one is "Brady." I don't think he means to part with them any time soon.

This is a guy who put his money into a one-bedroom Foxboro shack so he can spend more time in the film room. We can all argue about his impact plays, but he is also clearly the QB of the defense and a role model for the rest of the players.

not to mention that Aqib Talib injured his hip that week, was out the next few and never returned to the same player he was before. It sucks losing mayo. but so far on the defensive side we are in better shape Right now than we were last year at this time.

That's definitely true, don't know how anyone could deny it. Losing Mayo sucks; he's one of the players on the team that we could least afford to lose (I'd put Brady, Gronk, Jones, Revis and McCourty definitely above him, but you can make a case for him relative to anyone else).

But around this time last year, we'd lost Mayo and Wilfork for the year, and Talib's injury turned him into a far lesser version of himself when he did eventually come back. Losing Mayo again and Ridley sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as that was, at least for now. If we keep seeing injuries, this could very quickly turn into 2013 redux, but for now we're at least still ahead of that curve (although behind the curve relative to most of the rest of the league).

Per Yates, Pats worked out 5 LBs today:

It probably makes sense to add another LB to the practice squad.
I think the best roster replacement is Darius Fleming:
- He's a quick coverage ILB (or was before the ACL's), which the team needs
- He can play special teams
- He has experience in the Pats system from the offseason and is currently on the PS

Has anyone announced the actual injury yet?

Mayo's cap hit jumps to over $10million in each of the next two seasons. The team could restructure, if it doesn't mind putting some 'dead' money in the last year (2017), and 2016 is the year the cap savings would really kick in, but they'd save $4.6 on Mayo's deal with $6m in dead money if they cut him next year (not to mention the option to make it a post-June 1 cut, which would make the hits $3.6m in 2015 and $2.4m in 2016).

I don't have any problem with people speculating that Mayo might not be back next year. I think he will be, but it's definitely a real possibility that he's done with the Pats. Cutting him wouldn't make the top 10 for most unexpected personnel moves. My guess would be that they try to do something like what they did with Vince this offseason, where they extend his contract and lower his cap hits for the next couple of years in the process. The big difference, though, is that unlike with Wilfork this past offseason I think it would be pretty reasonable for the Pats' to keep Mayo even without a restructure. He's really good, and you're not going to find a better linebacker for the money you'd save by cutting him.

I think it depends at least in part on what the injury actually is. If it's a torn ACL, it's much more likely that they just honor the existing contract on the relatively comfortable assumption that he'll make a fully recovery. If it's a ruptured patellar tendon, a 100% recovery becomes much less of a formality, and some real risk re: not making a full recovery enters the equation.

Adam Jones on 98.5.

1.) He'll be having Volin on soon (can't remember what time they said)

2.) He thinks Hightower and Collins are somehow going to make up for Mayo's absence

I won't even try to measure the level of cluelessness that second point displays.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that someone's opinion of Mayo is a good litmus test for whether or not they actually understand what they're watching on Sundays. As soon as Volin said that Mayo was an average LB, that cemented what I already suspected: that he's an idiot who's full of stupid opinions.

Likewise, how could anyone who watched Hightower last year figure and when he's played this year figure that he's the Mayo replacement? Or Collins? They both have their own roles in this defense, which are separate and very distinct from Mayo's.

Last edited:
Does anyone have what the injury is???? Heard very very bad so is it career threatening?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a patellar tendon: kinda similar to Cruz's injury on Sunday night, in that even on rewatching it you can't totally tell what happened, but the player was clearly in intense pain and it was treated as a foregone conclusion that his season was over.

FWIW, a patellar tendon rupture is significantly worse than a torn ACL. Assuming that his season's definitely over, I'm hoping it's 'just' an ACL at this point.

Last edited:
It probably makes sense to add another LB to the practice squad.
I think the best roster replacement is Darius Fleming:
- He's a quick coverage ILB (or was before the ACL's), which the team needs
- He can play special teams
- He has experience in the Pats system from the offseason and is currently on the PS
Agree. Fleming looked good in preseason and can provide immediate help. They have White on the roster at RB who looked not quite ready for prime time in preseason but circumstances may thrust him into the fray. As others have noted, they still need a back with size, strength and attitude. Personally, I would like to see Fleming and Gray signed to the 53 tomorrow when Mayo and Ridley presumably go to IR.

I don't have any problem with people speculating that Mayo might not be back next year. I think he will be, but it's definitely a real possibility that he's done with the Pats. Cutting him wouldn't make the top 10 for most unexpected personnel moves. My guess would be that they try to do something like what they did with Vince this offseason, where they extend his contract and lower his cap hits for the next couple of years in the process. The big difference, though, is that unlike with Wilfork this past offseason I think it would be pretty reasonable for the Pats' to keep Mayo even without a restructure. He's really good, and you're not going to find a better linebacker for the money you'd save by cutting him.

I think it depends at least in part on what the injury actually is. If it's a torn ACL, it's much more likely that they just honor the existing contract on the relatively comfortable assumption that he'll make a fully recovery. If it's a ruptured patellar tendon, a 100% recovery becomes much less of a formality, and some real risk re: not making a full recovery enters the equation.

I'm with you on this. Mayo's a top flight LB. The questions will probably be about how bad the injury is. If he'll be able to get back next year, I'd look for a restructure.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that someone's opinion of Mayo is a good litmus test for whether or not they actually understand what they're watching on Sundays. As soon as Volin said that Mayo was an average LB, that cemented what I already suspected: that he's an idiot who's full of stupid opinions.

Likewise, how could anyone who watched Hightower last year figure and when he's played this year figure that he's the Mayo replacement? Or Collins? They both have their own roles in this defense, which are separate and very distinct from Mayo's.

When people start cracking out the "He doesn't make plays" when talking about tackling machines in today's league, I immediately consider them suspect. It's not always wrong, but it's not a good start.

Jets have to run the ball well. Shouldn't even pass the ball if the weather's going to be bad.

Pats run D will be shakier without Mayo in there.

If any team can play the Patriots without matching them with talent, it's the Jets.

Thinks this is Ryan's final season, and that he might not even last the season, but expects them to finish ahead of Miami.

Akeem Ayers from the Titans? Anyone?

Nothing confirmed. Maybe we lucked out and he will be back in a few weeks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk