PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo...plays like he has been here for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jerod Mayo....Plays Like He Has Been Here For Years

So far the top two rookie tacklers are Keith Rivers with 18 and Mayo with 13.

and rivers is prolly leading cause they are on the field so much. Their offense is inept.

I want another Mayo to put right next to him.

I think a lot of people are mistaking the point of this thread being the diff between great pick and great player. He has been a great pick knows what he has to do does it most of the time makes tackles seemed fine in his zone. Great start for the guy hopefully the only way is up for him.

For comparison, there's a thread on Jets Insider.com titled "Did Gholston Play?"

Where has Crable been? I have been surprised not seeing him play. Has he been on special teams?

Lets get one more next year and we are set!

Great sign he is already making an impact. I just hope he doesnt wear down later on. Assuming a playoff appearance, the NFL season is almost twice as long as the college season. In that sense I hope we aren't going to have him out there EVERY snap as the season goes.

I can't believe that no one had brought up the fact that Mayo and Guyton were lined up right next to each other on a couple of series.

Nice to see some added speed brought to the field.

Re: Jerod Mayo....Plays Like He Has Been Here For Years

Mayo is a solid great pick....just love his ball skills, he's gonna become a great tackler. Nice wrap when tackling too.

Mayo's also getting some love in the national press. From Mike Lombardi's notes today at the National Football Post:

"Jarod Mayo had a coming out party yesterday. He was all over the field and made plays with his feet. He gives the Patriots that much needed speed in the back end of their defense."

I can't believe that no one had brought up the fact that Mayo and Guyton were lined up right next to each other on a couple of series.

Nice to see some added speed brought to the field.

I didn't notice that. When did it happen? I'd like to review my DVR recording and see how they did.

I didn't notice that. When did it happen? I'd like to review my DVR recording and see how they did.

Guyton must be coming in for Bruschi when he leaves the field. Can anyone confirm this?

I agree with the RELAXED poster...
Mayo has shown his speed because sometimes he has been caught out of position. He is that work in progress, and playing ILB on this team is a great place to hide in witness protection....meaning they can make almost anyone they play with(Biesel aside)look good. But again, the competition hasnt been there, and its far too early. I will always be comparing this pick to Branden Albert and wont judge them til year 3, though I will pay attention to both. What I want to know is why Brushi isnt in the lineup for goal line D....??

Guyton must be coming in for Bruschi when he leaves the field. Can anyone confirm this?

I think I saw Guyton, he's a big dude if I saw correctly. I also think I saw AD moved into the middle at times.

whats great about this is Belichick wanted him at 7 and he probably would have wanted him if the 49ers lost a few more games and the Pats picked at 3 or 4. In reality, they still got him and saved a TON of money by moving back.

I assume anyone that watched (the disappointing) OSU / USC game this weekend may have thought for at least a second about landing one of the two (or three?) stud LBs in that game and imagining him line up next to Mayo for the next 6 yrs.

whats great about this is Belichick wanted him at 7 and he probably would have wanted him if the 49ers lost a few more games and the Pats picked at 3 or 4. In reality, they still got him and saved a TON of money by moving back.

I assume anyone that watched (the disappointing) OSU / USC game this weekend may have thought for at least a second about landing one of the two (or three?) stud LBs in that game and imagining him line up next to Mayo for the next 6 yrs.

I would love to see someone drafted to be paired next to him next year. This defense would be downright scary.

I would love to see someone drafted to be paired next to him next year. This defense would be downright scary.

There are a few prospects who seem to fit the Pats profile. Tune in to the draft forum throughout the season for further insight. :)

I agree with the RELAXED poster...
Mayo has shown his speed because sometimes he has been caught out of position. He is that work in progress, and playing ILB on this team is a great place to hide in witness protection....meaning they can make almost anyone they play with(Biesel aside)look good. But again, the competition hasnt been there, and its far too early. I will always be comparing this pick to Branden Albert and wont judge them til year 3, though I will pay attention to both. What I want to know is why Brushi isnt in the lineup for goal line D....??

On rewatch, Mayo mostly outplayed Bruschi last week. He has been out of position on a few plays, but otherwise, he's been solid.

As for Albert, Big Sey made him his bytch last week. I was big on Albert as a guard, but drafting a guard and moving him to tackle...too risky and not worth the price they paid.

Last edited:

I doubt a LB of that caliber will be available at 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft