PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's that time again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Bob Sanders, Joe Addai, Mike Hart, Austin Collie, Blair White, Melvin Bullitt, Gary Brackett, and Clint Session are all guys that were out Sunday.

Any chance of Freeney/Mathis back spasms manifesting this week? ;) I'm greedy...

I don't know why some Pats and Colts fans think that the Colts are going to get run over. Our defense played like a shutdown defense last night, but it's been the very definition of a Jeckyll and Hyde defense this season. Comes with the territory of being young. And, even though the Colts have a slew of injuries, Manning still scares me. Kyle Arrington on Reggie Wayne should be a match-up to watch seeing as I think Garcon will probably get put on lockdown by McCourty.

I just hope that the team doesn't get overconfident and complacent after last night. BIG victory against a great team in Pittsburgh, but they need to keep their foot on the pedal. It's Colts week... Christmas in November.

I agree. The Colts have really been hit hard with injuries, really struggled at times, lost some really bizarre games (59-yard field goal to end the game), barely gotten by lesser opponents, yet...they're 6-3.

To emphasize: they've played their worst football in quite some time, and they're 6-3.

They're a much better team than most are giving them credit for.

Any chance of Freeney/Mathis back spasms manifesting this week? ;) I'm greedy...

I'm calling it: Danny Woodhead will be our secret weapon in helping to block these guys. He's fast AND quick, showed just how tough he is taking on the Steelers' big guys, knows how to block, and can certainly get underneath these guys' shoulder pads.

Recently teams have been going max protect. The Eagles did it and dropped Vick back further to allow him time to make plays, thankfully we did better than the Skins, and the Bengals did it until the end of the game on Sunday. As soon as they stopped their max protect and started sending everyone out Freeney and Mathis had back to back sacks.

Well, things have been way too civil in this thread, so I guess I'll go ahead and throw the first punch. What's the over/under on the amount of phantom pass interference flags we're going to see thrown on New England's secondary this weekend? :cool:

Well, things have been way too civil in this thread, so I guess I'll go ahead and throw the first punch. What's the over/under on the amount of phantom pass interference flags we're going to see thrown on New England's secondary this weekend? :cool:

I'm going two. Both in the fourth quarter.

I kid you not here... in the Colts game against the Eagles when the Colts were down 9 points and facing 4th-and-18, I was watching the game with my wife She is generally a non-sports fan. Before the play, I said these exact words:

"Watch this. The Colts need to make a play right here or they will surely lose the game. I guarantee you that they will not complete the pass, but that there will be a penalty flag thrown for no good reason, just to keep their drive alive"

Sure enough. Eagles defender Trent Cole’s hand brushed against Manning’s helmet as he tried to strip the ball. Officials called unnecessary roughness on the play. 1st down Colts. There is a rule that protects the QB from blows to the head, but this kind of incidental contact happens all the time without a flag. Unless it's #18. At the 2:25 mark on this video. NFL Videos: GameDay: Colts vs. Eagles highlights

Since the game is in New England, I'll go with negative 2.

I kid you not here... in the Colts game against the Eagles when the Colts were down 9 points and facing 4th-and-18, I was watching the game with my wife She is generally a non-sports fan. Before the play, I said these exact words:

"Watch this. The Colts need to make a play right here or they will surely lose the game. I guarantee you that they will not complete the pass, but that there will be a penalty flag thrown for no good reason, just to keep their drive alive"

Sure enough. Eagles defender Trent Cole’s hand brushed against Manning’s helmet as he tried to strip the ball. Officials called unnecessary roughness on the play. 1st down Colts. There is a rule that protects the QB from blows to the head, but this kind of incidental contact happens all the time without a flag. Unless it's #18. At the 2:25 mark on this video. NFL Videos: GameDay: Colts vs. Eagles highlights

It's kind of a crappy rule, but it takes the human element out of the penalty. Intent and severity don't factor in, either the defender makes contact with the QB's head or he didn't.

Oh man Workhorse you are in trouble, you've been caught fraternizing with the enemy. :nono: :rolleyes:

Not really. That guy is a fraud. He is not the Colts fan that uses that name on several Colts message boards.

Nope, this is the one and only IUCPF.

Edit: I see your post over there is getting quite a following

We may be in for a long night - Unofficial Indianapolis Colts Fan Forums

What name do you use over at Freaks or do you only lurk? What name do you normally post by here when you are not trying to masquerade as a Colts fan?

The fans in Philly would have rioted and burned down the Linc if they had lost that game because of that play and the Austin Collie call.

Not really. That guy is a fraud. He is not the Colts fan that uses that name on several Colts message boards.

What name do you use over at Freaks or do you only lurk? What name do you normally post by here when you are not trying to masquerade as a Colts fan?

Hey workhorse, this is really me (I got your PM over on cranky). The pathetic troll masquerading as me is probably some dweeb I banned on the old RATS boards. The mods here can tell who he/she is and told me a few years back that it was "taken care of". Apparently not. Oh well.

Anyway, hopefully we will see a good game on Sunday. But the fact is that the Pats are just playing better team ball right now. I hope that the Colts bring their A game and pull out a win, but I have to admit I am not really expecting it. I will be happy if they keep it competitive and everyone comes out healthy. I think the Colts can still win the division if they can get some guys back and playing and anything can happen if they get to the playoffs as healthy as possible.

Definitely a tough one, but I have to think the Pats will be the favorites, all things considered. I just hope they get the same pressure on "Peyton" that they got on "Ben."

I don't get the quotation marks.

Do you think they're Russian spies?

I remember that call. I said the exact same thing to my girlfriend, but thought it would be a pass interference. I understand protecting the quarterback from head shots, but that was a simple brush that should have never been called.

Since the game is in New England, I'll go with negative 2.

Doesn't matter where the Colts are playing. The signature Bill Polian phantom PI calls are bound to happen. I'm going with two, myself.

Definitely a tough one, but I have to think the Pats will be the favorites, all things considered. I just hope they get the same pressure on "Peyton" that they got on "Ben."

I'm afraid that is not going to happen. 2 different QBs with 2 different styles. Ben holds the ball to keep plays alive. Manning throws in rhythm and if its not there has no compunction to throw it away. The only real way to get to Manning is to put immediate pressure up the middle. Don't give him a chance to step INTO his throws. Barring that a well timed corner blitz might get to him, but not that often.

No its up the middle if you want to get Manning off his spot.

I'm afraid that is not going to happen. 2 different QBs with 2 different styles. Ben holds the ball to keep plays alive. Manning throws in rhythm and if its not there has no compunction to throw it away. The only real way to get to Manning is to put immediate pressure up the middle. Don't give him a chance to step INTO his throws. Barring that a well timed corner blitz might get to him, but not that often.

That's where Polian cutting Lilja after last season could become a big factor.

As long as Saturday is playing it's always difficult to get to Manning up the middle. Should be another gangbuster Pats-Colts fight.

Lookie here it's Colts/Pats week again. It doesn't seem quite the same as it used to, but it still is a game that everyone looks forward to.

As of today, I don't think things look real promising for the Colts. I'm not sure what the status of our injuries is right now, but if several of our guys don't suit up this week it looks like it will be a long game. The players we had on the field against the Bengals barely resembled our opening day roster. And after watching the way you guys beat the Steelers, I'm not going to be overly optimistic.

Anyway, here to a good game (especially for us) and an injury free game (especially for us). Long time no see.

Welcome back, workhorse. Always enjoyed your posts, and hope you stick around after this week. I watched the Bengals game (had money on the Colts at -7, no less), and it looked to me like you guys have just been wrecked at WR. With the Collie injury, it seems like you've passed the point of being able to make up for it by plugging in scrubs, but if Collie comes back or Garcon remembers how to catch, that could all change in a hurry.

I thought Javarris James had a nice game for you guys; there were reports that he'd made our 53 earlier in the season, but they turned out to be premature/false, and I was kinda bummed. I heard today that Addai's looking pretty bad for this week?

For the Pats, I expect to see a lot of running early, and a whole lot of play action. Hopefully it'll work about as well as it did against the Steelers.

Offense staggering without weapons | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star
Anyone who denies that the missing parts aren't affecting offensive continuity and efficiency hasn't been paying attention.

"It's going to be frustrating at times and a little chaotic," quarterback Peyton Manning conceded after the Colts' offensively-challenged 23-17 win at Lucas Oil Stadium.

And less prolific. In the past four games, the offense's production has been on a steady decline: a season-best 469 at Washington, 366 against Houston, 338 at Philadelphia, a season-low 256 against Cincinnati.

The offense generated just one touchdown -- rookie Javarris James' 3-yard run following a fumble recovery by the defense at the Cincinnati 25 -- and three Adam Vinatieri field goals. The Colts converted only 5-of-14 third-down situations, normally a strong suit.

Not surprisingly, Manning's sharpness has been dulled of late, undoubtedly by the lack of continuity at receiver and inconsistent pass protection. After completing 69.8 percent of his passes in the first four games this season, his accuracy has slipped to 59.5 over the past five. Manning was sacked twice and was frequently harassed by the Bengals' pass rush.

Should the Colts consider getting Pierre Garcon out of the lineup | Ask the Expert: Colts | The Indianapolis Star
QUESTION: Two questions. 1) What do you think of the idea of sitting Pierre Garcon down if Austin Collie and Blair White are healthy next week? Or not starting him if only one of those two plays next week? 2) Shouldn’t coach Jim Caldwell have called a timeout on the fake punt? It was obvious something was up when the Bengals went hurry-up. Seems like Caldwell made a mistake.

ANSWER: Two good questions. 1) When Collie’s cleared to play, I start him ahead of Garcon. I don’t think White’s status figures into the equation. You can’t play White ahead of Garcon, no matter how inconsistent Garcon is. But when Collie’s ready – maybe this week, maybe at home against San Diego – I don’t hesitate to play him ahead of Garcon. Garcon’s inconsistency has to stop. If it doesn’t, his playing time should diminish. The NFL is all about production and that’s a direct byproduct of being consistent. 2) Yes, I would have called a timeout when it became clear the Bengals were not going to punt. Caldwell mentioned it would have been fine if the Bengals only would have gotten a couple of yards with the fake, but those couple of yards still would have converted the fourth-and-1.

It's kind of a crappy rule, but it takes the human element out of the penalty. Intent and severity don't factor in, either the defender makes contact with the QB's head or he didn't.

I've never heard complaints here when that call was made in our favor :p

I agree, though: stupid rule, and I don't like it, but that's what's on the books and defenders should have figured it out by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST