PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Its Official: Miami-Jets game flexed to 4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I naive in thinking that the sole reason behind the NFL's scheduling decisions this week is to get the highest possible ratings? They couldn't do that if NE-Buf, Jax-Bal, and Mia-NYJ were on at the same time. What would CBS feature at 1? The only other game with any potential playoff implications is Oak-TB (and that certainly is NOT a ratings grabber).

I might have some problem with it if Jax-Bal was left at 1 as well, but having that game at 4 matters. Even if the Jags get up 14, 21, 24, whatever, do you think that score will be shown in the Meadowlands? I remember in Green Bay back a few years ago, both their Week 17 game at home vs. Denver and the Vikings game at Arizona were at the same time. The Packers didn't show the Vikings score once during their game, even when their game was getting out of hand, they withheld that score until their game's conclusion. Then the immortal "Josh McCown to Nate Poole" connection came through and knocked the Vikes out.

Even in 2002, when the Pats beat Miami in Week 17, the Meadowlands didn't show that score until its completion (Jets-Packers, as you all remember I'm sure, was a 4:05 start, and Pats-Dolphins was a long game that also went into OT). They held off until they knew they were playing for the AFC East. Would they have shown the Pats score if they had lost? Who knows? Personally, I'm not sure they would have.

Again, call me naive, but I just don't think this is as big a deal as it's being made out to be....

Far from naive - you actually get it. Of course it was solely about maximizing ratings.

The Jets/Dolphins game was the only game that they could move to 4 which was definitely going to mean something. They moved the Baltimore game as well solely to ensure the Jets/Dolphins game will mean something to both teams.

It is quite possible that the Jets will not post the score of Jacksonville/Baltimore - most coaches instruct the home scoreboard operators that way when in this situation.

" Its Official: Miami-Jets game flexed to 4:00 "

You mean 'FIXED"

sick of this bs

The jets aren't just going to let the dolphins beat them on their home field, with their old qb, for the division title. If anything they want to take Miami down with them. Who would want to come in 3rd place, with a team that went 1-15 ahead of you.

If the Pats win their game, the Jets have no reason to win theirs, and greatly reduces their chances of winning.

If any game should of been flexed, it should of been ours.

This is horse **** because it can directly affect how the playoffs are decided, I dont expect Baltimore to lose.

The jets aren't just going to let the dolphins beat them on their home field, with their old qb, for the division title. If anything they want to take Miami down with them. Who would want to come in 3rd place, with a team that went 1-15 ahead of you.

This may be true. The Jets may want to tell the Fins that they want to be the ones to take the AFCE from the Pats, not them. Never know... Ahh I'm probably just being too optimistic :/

Am I naive in thinking that the sole reason behind the NFL's scheduling decisions this week is to get the highest possible ratings? They couldn't do that if NE-Buf, Jax-Bal, and Mia-NYJ were on at the same time. What would CBS feature at 1? The only other game with any potential playoff implications is Oak-TB (and that certainly is NOT a ratings grabber).

I might have some problem with it if Jax-Bal was left at 1 as well, but having that game at 4 matters. Even if the Jags get up 14, 21, 24, whatever, do you think that score will be shown in the Meadowlands? I remember in Green Bay back a few years ago, both their Week 17 game at home vs. Denver and the Vikings game at Arizona were at the same time. The Packers didn't show the Vikings score once during their game, even when their game was getting out of hand, they withheld that score until their game's conclusion. Then the immortal "Josh McCown to Nate Poole" connection came through and knocked the Vikes out.

Even in 2002, when the Pats beat Miami in Week 17, the Meadowlands didn't show that score until its completion (Jets-Packers, as you all remember I'm sure, was a 4:05 start, and Pats-Dolphins was a long game that also went into OT). They held off until they knew they were playing for the AFC East. Would they have shown the Pats score if they had lost? Who knows? Personally, I'm not sure they would have.

Again, call me naive, but I just don't think this is as big a deal as it's being made out to be....

In 2002, half the crowd didn't have PDAs and cell phones with internet.

When the crowd starts yelling "Too Late Mangina!" after a jets' score, I'm sure the Jets will figure it out.

In case anyone was wondering, this is all about ratings (duh) :

NFL Spokesman :

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/12/23/root_canal/?page=2

"We made a decision that we think presents the best and most attractive television arrangement for this weekend's games."

(note - shouldn't this quote be :We made a decision that we think presents the best and most attractive arrangement for the competitiveness of the league.")

And then he says :

"The schedule is what it is"

Actually, it isn't what it is - that would be the case if you made it at the start of the season and didn't change it. The schedule is what you chose it to be.

Anyone have a good email address for these f*ckers ?

Last edited:
In case anyone was wondering, this is all about ratings (duh) :

NFL Spokesman :

Root canal: Patriots must grit teeth and cheer for Jets - The Boston Globe

"We made a decision that we think presents the best and most attractive television arrangement for this weekend's games."

(note - shouldn't this quote be :We made a decision that we think presents the best and most attractive arrangement for the competitiveness of the league.")

And then he says :

"The schedule is what it is"

Actually, it isn't what it is - that would be the case if you made it at the start of the season and didn't change it. The schedule is what you chose it to be.

Anyone have a good email address for these f*ckers ?

LOL, exactly, but this is the same kind of cover your arse logic we've been getting from the league for years.

Dolphins admit stealing signals from an illegal Patriots tape in 2006? "That's football," Steve Alic.

Jets get caught filming from illegal location in Foxboro? "They had permission," the NFL. The Patriots, "We never gave them permission." "The Jets said they had permission," the NFL. Apparently, you can have permission to break the rules.

Wilfork dives at Losman's knee? "That's a fine," NFL. Pollard dives at Brady's knee?" "Clean play," NFL.

Ellis Hobbs gets a big pass interference penalty against the Colts? "He wasn't penalized for face-guarding, he was penalized for making contact," NFL. The ref on the field said it was for face-guarding, and there was no contact at all.

A player launches himself at Welker and gives him a concussion? "There's no rule against launching," Pereira. Referee Bill McAulay in a newspaper article, "There's a penalty for launching when you leave your feet and drive into a defenseless wide receiver."

And the big kicker: Roger Goodell when discussing Matt Walsh's claims that he has a videotape of a Super Bowl practice goes out of his way to be polite to Walsh. When questioned as to why he fined the Patriots when Belichick disputes the NFL's contention that he broke the rule, Goodell replies: "I don't believe him." Essentially he calls Belichick a liar.

It's amazing to see the NFL get by with this.

If the Pats win their game, the Jets have no reason to win theirs, and greatly reduces their chances of winning.

If any game should of been flexed, it should of been ours.

This is horse **** because it can directly affect how the playoffs are decided, I dont expect Baltimore to lose.
No, the Jets can still get the wild card it the Purple birds lose.

LOL, they're pissed because their team has a reason not to tank.

Its quite sad. They can't even get their usual masochistic self-hating satisfaction out of it. :D

OK, fess up! Which one a youse guys wrote this fawkin' post?

Kissing Suzy Kolber Blog Archive THE FACKIN? NAWT FAY-UH LEAGUE STRIKES AGAIN! | kissingsuzykolber.com

Well, well, well! Hee-ah we ahhh, at the end of the season, and that ***got Rawjah Goodell has some serious facking explaining to do to the TAWMSTAH! To think, these amazing Paytree-uts AND THE DIEHAHHHD FANS OF CELTIC NATION could get fackin’ shut out of the fackin’ playawffs even if they win 11 games. WHAT THE FACK?!

THE FACKIN’ NAWT FAY-UH LEAGUE STRIKES AGAIN!

Last edited:
How bad would the Jets look if they lost to a guy (Pennington) they cut to make room for Brett Favre? Mangini has to win this game to prove that they made the right decision to make room for Favre

Excellent point.

Even Favre probably feels that pressure.

Go Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes