PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It Is Belichick Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I said was "which season". Your (deliberate?) attempt to misinterpret my words does you no favors.

Don’t be disingenuous. If that’s not what you meant then be clearer next time.

But now that we are clear regarding what I meant, I am glad to see you are backing down from the notion that they would have won SB53 with a lesser QB.

Stop putting words in my mouth. My answer is the same. Depends on who the QB was. Brady was not horrible like he was in 2019 but he was not exactly lighting things up toward the end of that season either. The running game scheme they sprung on the league also had a lot to do with that title and maybe more so than the QB. Yes Brady was very clutch vs KC. He also came that close to losing it if Dee Ford wasn’t offside so let’s keep it real.

LOL!! OK, pal.... and when the Patriots sign Pat Mahomes, we can have that discussion.

lmfao. You’re talking hypotheticals so why can’t I? Weird logic.

In the meantime, let's say..... which season (key word: SEASON) did the Patriots make it to and win a Super Bowl by so comfortable a margin that you could have taken out the greatest quarterback of all time, replace him with... oh... say, Cam Newton circa 2020, and still have won the Super Bowl?
Cam Newton circa 2020 is an unknown entity so take that noise and stuff it. My answer is the same. You not liking my answer is your problem not mine.

Another good QB might have even beaten the Giants who knows? All opinion and hypotheticals which is what your question asked.

Good luck answering that one without making a fool of yourself.
Lmao. Bradyites are so butthurt these days. Too funny!

And he got paid back in deep teams that earned him rings. He got exactly what he wanted out of the deal so please stop trying to frame him as some kind of selfless martyr. Taking on smaller deals to increase the odds for success was as much a business transaction for him as running TB12 is.

And quite frankly more QBs should think like that especially because the marginal value of those additional millions is most probably lower than going to work for about more than a decade knowing you are competing and not just there for a paycheck.

Nobody is disputing that. I’m simply disputing the notion of Brady being selfish

I agree with your larger point but Cam is not "much better" than Grogan.

You're right. He is much MUCH better than Grogan. We all love Grogan but my word do we overestimate his ability in these parts.

You're right. He is much MUCH better than Grogan. We all love Grogan but my word do we overestimate his ability in these parts.

No we don't. And you're wrong.

Lmao. Bradyites are so butthurt these days. Too funny!
The only one butthurt is the person who thinks we would have done better without... you know, the greatest quarterback of all time under center... Thank you for making a fool of yourself.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
No we don't. And you're wrong.

So how do you want to do this, since you started the nitpick? Do you want to look at stats? Or do you want to look at MVPs and pro-bowl and all-pro appearances? Or do you want to look at pro-football-reference's "AV" rating, which contextualizes their performance and value? Tell me which way you want to go to examine this besides you just saying I'm wrong.

No one makes more transactions in the few days before and after the "final" cut to 53. he will make transactions all year. However, i expect lots between now and game time for Game 2. We could help at so many positions: WR, OT, TE, DT, LB, K.
I think we'll see a lot of movement throughout this strange season. A lot more tinkering than usual is what I see getting NE to the finish line. Depth is a huge concern, even to the positions that look stout now.

You said Belichick didn't try to help at WR. Obviously he did try -- he spent 1st and 2nd round picks on WR's -- he just didn't succeed.

I said "basically ignored" and thats a fact.

1 Gronk was clearly fading in 2018 and the TE position was non existent in 2019. Throwing JAGS and Granpa Ben Watson on the roster is a half *** effort.

2 The Pats have needed youth in the WR corp for as long as Brady has played. The Pats had 1 job that they had to get right in the 2019 draft and that was find A wr. Harry was little to no help at all in 2019. Relying on NE to find and draft a good WR is like counting on pre NFL draft rumors to come true.

3 BB brought Gordon back. How many years has he been in and out of rehab only to land right back on suspension? Youre counting on this guy in 2019? Seriously?

4 A bold move could have been made at WR because clearly NE cannot draft this position. Keenan Allen and Stepon Diggs were disgruntled and wanted out. BB could have brought in these types of impact WRs at a cost, but they would have made all the difference. But, nope, blow a 2nd round pick on Sanu. Who by the way, validates my "no help" statement. Sanu is so bad that NE is moving on after only 8 games.

5 Dorsett would be shining footballs on the Chiefs. Brady gave the double move signal in a 2019 game and Dimbulb Dorsett missed it. IIRC it was a 3rd down and naturally Dorsett wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Receiving help is not draft busts and rejects from other ball clubs because you can low ball them on salary, Pissing on a fire trying to put it out is not ignoring the flames.

No TE
Harry jock sniffers signing high praises.
Crackhead Gordon checked himself back into Betty Ford clinic.
Dorsett in the role of #2 WR when he is a #4 at best.
Had FBI wanted AB for a week.
Atalanta couldnt help Sanu pack fast enough for a 2nd round pick.
Jags Gunner and Meyers
This post made me LOL, especially the AB and Sanu parts. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It was just Belichick time for the past 10 minutes or so on BYU-Navy. The Midshipmen are getting their butts handed to 'em, but Coach Bill was there talking up the history and his ties to the program.

Last season didn't look like a winning vibe to me in any part of the team including the QB.
The winning vibe began to end when the Early Bird ordered Bill to pull the plug out from AB, contract be damned, before the whole "massage" thingy began to blow nationwide...

Last edited:
...And then you get the article yesterday that some players feel the morale of the team has been better this season with Tom's departure, given Tom's poor attitude last season, and you get more pieces of evidence/data points...
Of course the morale of the team is better: Nobody is trying to hold them to a higher standard now; and the games haven't started yet.

Last edited:
Is that so? Tell me.... which season did the Patriots win a Super Bowl so comfortably that you can take away the greatest QB in the history of football, replace him with someone else, and still have won the Super Bowl?
Why reduce the conversation to 1 team. Brady is the GOAT no doubt but almost 50 Superbowls have been won by someone else. It is possible for us to get 1 without Tom.

Stop putting words in my mouth. My answer is the same. Depends on who the QB was. Brady was not horrible like he was in 2019 but he was not exactly lighting things up toward the end of that season either. The running game scheme they sprung on the league also had a lot to do with that title and maybe more so than the QB. Yes Brady was very clutch vs KC. He also came that close to losing it if Dee Ford wasn’t offside so let’s keep it real.

It is funny to watch how some people are twisting the history of the KC AFCCG game to make it fit their own confirmation bias when it comes to Tom.

The reality is that the entire postseason run in 2018 was a full team success from the first game to the last. Nobody carried any game by themselves or even stood out particularly.

Specifically against the Chiefs it was the defense which until the third quarter shut out a historic offense -- which is in the top 10 DVOA all time -- and the running game which gave us control over the clock resulting in a 42min:22min advantage. Special teams often nailed the Chiefs deep in their own territory and the passing offense closed the game out. Everyone contributed, that is what made this game so very satisfying.

But closing out doesn't mean carrying. Without the margin of error that the defense provided by denying the Chiefs any points before HT we would have never overcome a -2 turnover differential. Without control of the clock via the run game the Chiefs offense would have had 2-3 more shots at scoring.

And yet somehow certain people keep bringing this game up as some kind of signature game for Brady when he didn't really deliver more than any other group on the team. Again, yes, they closed out the game in OT but even that was nowhere near the masterclass and total control like against Atlanta.

They got through by the skin of their teeth. And it was awesome.

Last edited:
It was just Belichick time for the past 10 minutes or so on BYU-Navy. The Midshipmen are getting their butts handed to 'em, but Coach Bill was there talking up the history and his ties to the program.

The academies play with one hand tied behind their back. BB talking about the history of Navy football might be the highlight of their season.

It is funny to watch how some people are twisting the history of the KC AFCCG game to make it fit their own confirmation bias when it comes to Tom.

The reality is that the entire postseason run in 2018 was a full team success from the first game to the last. Nobody carried any game by themselves or even stood out particularly.

Specifically against the Chiefs it was the defense which until the third quarter shut out a historic offense -- which is in the top 10 DVOA all time -- and the running game which gave us control over the clock resulting in a 42min:22min advantage. Special teams often nailed the Chiefs deep in their own territory and the passing offense closed the game out. Everyone contributed, that is what made this game so very satisfying.

But closing out doesn't mean carrying. Without the margin of error that the defense provided by denying the Chiefs any points we would have never overcome a -2 turnover differential. Without control of the clock via the run game the Chiefs offense would have had 2-3 more shots at scoring.

And yet somehow certain people keep bringing this game up as some kind of signature game for Brady when he didn't really deliver more than any other group on the team. Again, yes, they closed out the game in OT but even that was nowhere near the masterclass and total control like against Atlanta.

They got through by the skin of their teeth. And it was awesome.

I'd say that during the 2018 (2019) playoff run, the aspect of play that had the best performance consistently throughout the playoffs was the running game.

vs. LAC: 34 att, 155 yds, 4.6 avg, 4 td
vs. KC: 48 att, 176 yds, 3.7 avg, 4 td
vs. LAR: 32 att, 154 yds, 4.8 avg, 1 td

TOT: 114 att, 485 yds, 4.3 avg, 9 td

I mean, that's pretty impressive. But every unit did its job at one point or another. Clearly the defense was awesome in the first halves of all three games, especially in the KC game. But they played less than great in the second half of both the LAC and KC games. Brady did have big passing numbers, and he started like a house on fire against LAC, and obviously had huge, clutch throws in the KC game and on the TD drive in the Super Bowl. But he wasn't *great* in the last two games, with the bad turnovers along the way. The secondary got lit up by KC in the second half but played great against the Rams. The pass rush had its moments.

You're right...it was a total team effort where every unit contributed. I'd still say that the most consistently good unit during that run was the running game (not sure if it's called a "unit" or a phase or aspect of the game, but you get what I mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST