PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine Bowl Coaching Roster - Shrine Bowl Updates

We look at someone like Ja'marr Chase with 22 drops (8.4%) and Deebo with 19 drops (~9%) over the last 2 years, and I wonder how much Pats fans would care if they produced. I mean Edelman had 13 (8.5%) in '19, but that's part of the reason why Pats were one and done in the playoffs.

Agholor had 4 drops over the last 2 years (~3.5%), and Pats fans seem to have the impression he can't catch anything.

I'm not sure I have a point here. Just thanks for the info.

Flowers must improve his drops to prove his reliability to an NFL coaching staff. He has been charged with 24 drops over his career at BC with an 11% drop rate. As we have seen, no matter how talented a wide receiver is, dropping passes will not be tolerated. Flowers faces a high amount of off-coverage and free releases. This leaves a lot to be imagined regarding his release package.

Mike Reiss gave an update yesterday:

Here are the Shrine coaching assignments, which are designed to help coaches grow beyond their usual positions:
  • Head coach: Troy Brown
  • Offensive coordinator: Ross Douglas
  • QBs: Douglas
  • OL: Vinnie Sunseri
  • RB: Evan Rothstein
  • WR: Brown
  • Defensive coordinator: Mike Pellegrino/Brian Belichick
  • DL: Pellegrino
  • LB: Belichick
  • DB: V’Angelo Bentley
  • Assistant DL: Keith Jones (Bill Walsh fellowship/Arkansas State)
  • Special teams: Joe Houston
  • Strength & conditioning: Deron Mayo

Ref: 'I'm practically living the dream': Patriots' Bailey Zappe preps for Year 2 after solid rookie season
Interesting, Sunseri was listed as WRs previously but now OL. Ross Douglas OC and QBs. Joe Houston at ST, no more Achord? Or is Achord still a "supervisor"?

We look at someone like Ja'marr Chase with 22 drops (8.4%) and Deebo with 19 drops (~9%) over the last 2 years, and I wonder how much Pats fans would care if they produced. I mean Edelman had 13 (8.5%) in '19, but that's part of the reason why Pats were one and done in the playoffs.

Agholor had 4 drops over the last 2 years (~3.5%), and Pats fans seem to have the impression he can't catch anything.

Yeah I don't gi

Any Rookie WR would be a #1 here.

This 2023 FA WR class leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the Pats have their eyes on no one except Meyers at least they know what they are getting. That said I am hoping for a Double dip @WR. A young TE with Potential would be nice too.

This is not a huge surprise given our roster. I assume we’d be looking at 2nd to 4th round range.

Of course, then they also add this:

Mike Reiss gave an update yesterday:

Here are the Shrine coaching assignments, which are designed to help coaches grow beyond their usual positions:
  • Head coach: Troy Brown
  • Offensive coordinator: Ross Douglas
  • QBs: Douglas
  • OL: Vinnie Sunseri
  • RB: Evan Rothstein
  • WR: Brown
  • Defensive coordinator: Mike Pellegrino/Brian Belichick
  • DL: Pellegrino
  • LB: Belichick
  • DB: V’Angelo Bentley
  • Assistant DL: Keith Jones (Bill Walsh fellowship/Arkansas State)
  • Special teams: Joe Houston
  • Strength & conditioning: Deron Mayo

Ref: 'I'm practically living the dream': Patriots' Bailey Zappe preps for Year 2 after solid rookie season
Where’s Billy Yates?

I'm come to not care about drops if a WR is a producer. It just doesn't bother me.
This is not a huge surprise given our roster. I assume we’d be looking at 2nd to 4th round range.

Of course, then they also add this:

Nope, not at all. With OB back I'm expecting a quicker slot and scat back brought in.

Interesting, Sunseri was listed as WRs previously but now OL. Ross Douglas OC and QBs. Joe Houston at ST, no more Achord? Or is Achord still a "supervisor"?
Supervisors aren't listed.

How's their blocking? Isn't that the concern with 3rd down backs?
Always is. Why the Patriots usually don't play rookies in that spot. Generally all you can look for is willingness and project from there.

Always is. Why the Patriots usually don't play rookies in that spot. Generally all you can look for is willingness and project from there.
I remember Sony Michel making a huge block down the stretch on a 3rd down play.. It was pivotal in the Pats winning the game.

There's a number of other factors that have to be considered. Like the number of targets, which is a partly a function of getting open. Factor in QB and OL play as well.

It’s fascinating to hear Brian at work

I would love to see Rothstein mic'd up working with the RBs.

This is the dude that was Patricia's assistant and is basically a footbal nerd. He'd never been a FT position coach and in 2020 when the DET HC, OC & DC all got covid, Rothstein was selected to be the defensive play caller when they faced the Bucs. Brady put up 348 yds / 4 TDs w/ a perfect 158.3 rating. Then Gabbert added 143 yds and 2 TDs. Bucs put up 588 total yards and routed the Lions 47-7. Lol

Fat Matt talked Belichick into bringing this dude onto the team, supposedly to take Ernie's old role. Now he's coaching RBs? Then there's this little nugget from Bedard.

“So, I was told this the other day, and I don’t know it 100% fact. It’s tough to get information out of there. But I heard that Evan Rothstein, who is Matt Patricia’s nerd from Detroit who has never coached a position, college or the NFL, is spearheading the pass-game concepts for the Patriots,” Bedard said.

“(This) is interesting,” Bedard said, “because in Detroit, he was on the defensive side with Matt, which is Matt’s expertise. Even there’s a quote from the Detroit Free Press where Darrell Bevell, the offensive coordinator, is talking about, ‘(Rothstein) is our most knowledgeable in terms of our defense and what we’re really doing all the way across the board.’

“And now this is another example of, well, good coaches, smart minds. Even though the area where he has the most expertise is defense, all of a sudden this year it’s OK for him to switch over to offense and design the pass concepts for Matt Patricia, which have worked really, really well.”

Sometimes I wonder if FM is a Svengali-type of character whispering in Belichick's ear.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back