PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ty Law happy now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, disengenous, self-deceiving, or just plain wrong in his analysis

I stipulate that Ty does like playing for Herm. Then Pioli was wrong or being 'disengenuous' when he said they coulda signed Ty were it not for the Postons, his agents?

Is Adalius Thomas a greedy, self-centered bastard for signing with the Pats instead of taking less to stay in Baltimore?

Is Adalius Thomas a greedy, self-centered bastard for signing with the Pats instead of taking less to stay in Baltimore?

Well, I think the point being made is that the Jets had no shot to contend and the money offers weren't that far apart. That's clearly not the case with Thomas and the New England situation.

Well, I think the point being made is that the Jets had no shot to contend and the money offers weren't that far apart. That's clearly not the case with Thomas and the New England situation.

Understandable. But in a player's mind, that isn't the case. Jon Kitna actually believes the Lions will win 10 games this year. If players only signed with teams that had a shot to win, the same teams would win over and over again. For a guy who already has 3 rings, and a chance to get a lot of money for a decent team at the tail end of his career, that makes sense to me.

Understandable. But in a player's mind, that isn't the case. Jon Kitna actually believes the Lions will win 10 games this year. If players only signed with teams that had a shot to win, the same teams would win over and over again. For a guy who already has 3 rings, and a chance to get a lot of money for a decent team at the tail end of his career, that makes sense to me.

I understand your position, and theirs, although I would tell them that every single player I've ever talked to who had been in their position and made the same decision they did told me they'd chosen wrongly. (Granted, I haven't posed the question to the Derrick Coleman's of the world). I would, however, note that someone making $10 million dollars a season who goes elsewhere over 500k or another million, is moving from a winning situation in a city they're already settled in just for a 5-10% boost in income that's not vital to their financial survival.

However, Jon Kitna may be correct, or nearly so. Have you seen that team's schedule?

Minnesota twice
Green Bay twice
Chicago Twice
Tampa Bay
Oakland
Philly
Washington
Denver
Arizona
Giants
Dallas
San Diego
KC

They could definitely beat Oakland, Tampa Bay, Washington, Arizona and K.C. in my mind. That's 5 wins right there outside the division that are very winnable. Minnesota may end up horrible this year, Green Bay's an unknown at this point and the Bears can lose any game Grossman plays.

The only "unwinnable" games I see for them are SD and Denver. So, they'd have to go 10-4 in the "winnable" games to make it, but that offense should be very difficult to stop this season if the offensive line is even average.

Last edited:

lol... of course not. THAT makes perfect sense. What is unusual is that he didn't even contemplate offers from other clubs, who would almost certainly have offered more. He just signed.

There is an important difference, in my mind, between Law, Milloy, Branch, Washington, and some of the other players mentioned. The FO wanted to retain those guys, and offered pretty good money, but they chose to maximize their money against the stability and rewards of staying with a winning franchise, signing instead with mediocre and bad teams who were prepared to offer more money.

There's another camp of player, like Given, McGinest, Graham, Ashworth, Fauria, who may have gotten nominal FA offers from the braintrust when their contracts came up, but those offers were pretty much an invitation to sign elsewhere. Those guys either underperformed against expectations, or overachieved against their pure talent. Basically, the team outgrew them. Like a lizard shedding its skin.

Then, there are the guys like Bruschi, Warren, Light, Green, Koppen, who chose to re-sign with the Pats for fair/moderate money, never really cashing in whatever leverage they might have in negotiations.

And, then, there's Brady, Colvin and Seymour, who got nice rich deals from the Pats right off the bat. There's a lasting assumption that Brady took a cut to stay with the Pats... but that feels like a half-truth/half-popular myth to me.

The most interesting case, to me, is Vinatieri, who took the Bruschi route for a number of years, re-signing for less money, more of it garaunteed... then finally going to Indy. But when he finally did go to the Colts, he had shown some signs of age-- injuries had held him out of some games, and in a number of games he wasn't his normal automatic self. So, he took the money, but there is something in the situation that makes me think that BB wasn't all that concerned to see him leave.

I think that Ty wanted to play for Herm, more than anything else. His coaching abilitites aside, Herm seems to be a great guy, and you have a hard time finding anyone who has a bad thing to say about him personally.

The Chiefs are going to be awful this year.

That's cuz he "plays to win the game!" :D Yeah, he did say that playing for Herm was a driving factor when he signed. I wonder if the Chiefs would cut him near the seasons end should they be 2 & 10. Didn't he sign a 2 year deal with them? I know the length said 5 years, but I thought the last 3 were dumby years. Anyone know?

Baltimore wasn't trying to resign him since they didn't have any space to. Plus, OT could have got more money someplace else, and did take less to sign with the pats.

I'd ask the question, why wouldn't Ty Law be happy?

Ty Law is guy with strong, often contradictory emotions.

None of us has more than a shadow of a guess as to what he's really feeling at any given moment, excepting only those moments when his mouth is running and he's letting the world know in no uncertain terms.

I'd guess that most of theories in this thread are in tune with how he feels SOME of the time.

It pains me to say this, but maybe he was the one laughing at the Pats when Manning picked apart our secondary in the second half of the AFC Championship game? Ty Law was always great against the Colts and we have struggled against them since he's been gone. In fact, didn't he intercept a pass or two in the Chiefs/Colts playoff game last year?

Do I think he is unhappy? No.

Do I wish he stayed a Patriot? Yes.

Stepping Stone?

Do any players see the Patriots simply as a stepping stone? They come here, play for a winner, reach the summit, get that ring or rings (which is what they all say means the most to them) and then take a look at where they are at. If they are looking for that big payoff it is not gonna happen in NE unless you are a Brady or a Seymor. This is what TY did . I say he did ok

Someone asked the question back on page 2 about the exact dollar amount more Ty got in playing for the NYJ and KCC... He has goten $2M LESS. He is scheduled to earn $5M with KC this season. He would need to earn $7M to break even with the 4 year $26M Pariots extension offer he rejected back in 2004.

Ty had a chance to come back last season. Again he chose a contract that offered him about what NE was now offering to return. So that was indicative of either continued inability to do the math or the fact that some other underlying issue remained. That issue was his belief that he was another victim of the system, perception wise, and his desire to set the record straight. I guess he felt he did in NY, but since he was being lambasted in the NY press as late as November of 2005, and even Herm was nudging him in the direction of the bus (as he always does when his men he loves fail to keep the media off his ass) most rational football fans realize that his Pro Bowl season was something of a mirage. He had 10 picks, but he played like crap and piled up a boatload of penalty yards that really hurt them early on. So with Ty at the end of the day it's also about how pride goeth before the fall.

I don't know how Lawyer fared. He got a bigger deal from Buffalo, but then he isn't paying through that deal, is he. Don't think he got a bundle from Atlanta. He was let go because his 2002 performance didn't match his 2003 salary. He has since admitted there were maturity issues afoot in the shadow of his first (and likely last) Lombardi. He has played better since. That would have gotten him his money back here and likely then some had he remained here. He certainly has regrets, as he has told Tommy on many occasions, and likely none more so than in 2007 on a team caught in the cross hairs of the Vick debaucle.

It will remain to be seen how Branch fares. It's unlikely he has placed himself in a position to continue to trump Jerry Rice statistically as a Superbowl WR. In fact, regardless of how well he performs in Seattle, the fact that Holmgren's tenure is tentative at this point and that Hasselback's had trouble staying on the field and could suffer immeasurably in the wake of Holmgren (who mentored him to not be the next Brett Favre) departing. Deion could come out $8M ahead when all is said and done, or he could be damaged goods in a couple of seasons through no real fault of his own.

Most of the others who left had little reason to stay because they knew where they fit in the pecking order and they wanted to be more significant to their team. Of those, only Adam has already proved that he made a good choice that has already paid even more than mere financial dividends. Without him his new team might not have even advanced to the AFCC. And in the end he got his 4th ring in 6 seasons - something that would not have happened for him here unless maybe Ty Law and Deion Branch had chosen to return/remain here.

Someone asked the question back on page 2 about the exact dollar amount more Ty got in playing for the NYJ and KCC... He has goten $2M LESS. He is scheduled to earn $5M with KC this season. He would need to earn $7M to break even with the 4 year $26M Pariots extension offer he rejected back in 2004.

So maybe money wasn't the driving force in his decision afterall.

The implication by many here, for years, has been that Ty law, Milloy, Woody and others should have taken their deals because this was such a great organization to work for.

NOPE. It was that this was a WINNING organization. There's a difference. And Milloy, Woody and Law all have done squat, team-wise (and arguably otherwise, too), since they left.

There also seems to be the implication that the choice was:

1) Play for the other teams at megadeals

or

2) Play for the Pats for peanuts

This is a false choice. And what's more, you guys know it.

You can continue to believe that players should want to play here for less because this is a WINNING organization. That attitude convinced pioli that we should wait and sign Law and Branch. Surely, they could be convinced. Pioli was wrong. Maybe you're right, maybe they SHOULD have wanted to play for us. But they didn't. The rest is history. We didn't use the cap money. I understand that many here believe that having Law and Branch wouldn't have helped beat the colts. Personally, I think that someone who beleives this is at best delusional.

Did Pioli make the right decisions? Who knows. What I do know is that he didn't make those mistakes this year.

NOPE. It was that this was a WINNING
organization. There's a difference. And Milloy, Woody and Law all have done squat, team-wise (and arguably otherwise, too), since they left.

There also seems to be the implication that the choice was:

1) Play for the other teams at megadeals

or

2) Play for the Pats for peanuts

This is a false choice. And what's more, you guys know it.

NOPE. It was that this was a WINNING organization. There's a difference. And Milloy, Woody and Law all have done squat, team-wise (and arguably otherwise, too), since they left.

Ty Law has as many Super Bowl rings as Tom Brady

Stop confusing us with facts! IMHO, if we had signed Ty Law last year, Ty and Tom would have had one more.

Ty Law has as many Super Bowl rings as Tom Brady

'Nough Said

ty%20law.jpg

This link sums up everything you need to know about Ty Law

http://www.sociallyabrasive.com/ty_law.htm

Last edited:
After the Rams Super Bowl int. return, which obviously was the turning point of that game and of course his outstanding play against the Colts with the 3 picks in 04(?), he will always be positively viewed by me. The only downside to him being out of the division now is that he doesn't get to go to Buffalo every year to get cheap exstacy from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft