PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this what the Young people want? Kelce bumps Reid.

Agreed. Gronk played the Party Boy persona well (but in a happy-go-lucky way). But, when it came down to playing ball, he was a nightmare for even the best opposing defenses. Kelce couldn't carry Gronk's jock strap as a player! Gronk was the ever so rare "Complete Package" as a TE. He dominated as both a receiver and a blocker.
Gronk was a much better players so therefore we should hate Kelce. got it! I've watched here in Boston for a long time. Brees is terrible Manning is a stiff. Why? because some writer somewhere dared to compare one of them to Brady. and dare not even mention Montana.

what exactly does the buzzphrase "relating well to today's players" mean in your opinion?
It's simply Bill's old school antiquated management style that went out the door in the 90s. It no longer works with the younger generation. It only worked for as long as it did here because he got Brady to buy-in and helped him keep the locker room at bay. Bill will be 72 in a couple of months. He hasn't and wont change.

There are many renown ex-Pats players that say the same thing: this younger generation of players is different. It won't work with them. I don't know who else you need to hear it from. They would know.

It's simply Bill's old school antiquated management style that went out the door in the 90s. It no longer works with the younger generation. It only worked for as long as it did here because he got Brady to buy-in and helped him keep the locker room at bay. Bill will be 72 in a couple of months. He hasn't and wont change.

There are many renown ex-Pats players that say the same thing: this younger generation of players is different. It won't work with them. I don't know who else you need to hear it from. They would know.
I'd like to hear it hear it from you a few more times

i wanted to know what you thought should be done differently.

That's a heck of a comp.

And just good fun to watch again.

In fairness to Pedro Zimmer was the instigator.

One of my favorite Sox games. No, Zimmer wasn't the instigator by any stretch, haha. Pedro had been doing it all game long, buzzing batters in the box, flashing the cutthroat sign, pointing at the Yankeee bench, and finally resorting to beaning batters. Zimmer was just standing up for his team. Those were the days we had a real rivalry, not the sterile, corporate games people watch nowadays.

And in all fairness to Zimmer, he got hit in the head by a pitch way back when he was in his 20's, so he probably was triggered by that trauma.

And did you know that Zimmer is actually in the Sox hall of fame? Not many people knew that- he was a great, but up and down manager.

s-l1200.webp

Those gosh darn Young people.

One of my favorite Sox games. No, Zimmer wasn't the instigator by any stretch, haha. Pedro had been doing it all game long, buzzing batters in the box, flashing the cutthroat sign, pointing at the Yankeee bench, and finally resorting to beaning batters. Zimmer was just standing up for his team. Those were the days we had a real rivalry, not the sterile, corporate games people watch nowadays.

And in all fairness to Zimmer, he got hit in the head by a pitch way back when he was in his 20's, so he probably was triggered by that trauma.

And did you know that Zimmer is actually in the Sox hall of fame? Not many people knew that- he was a great, but up and down manager.
I get Pedro was the reason emotions were high but you saying Zimmer didn't cause this is like saying Kelce wasn't the cause because he should have been playing.

i wanted to know what you thought should be done differently.
My thoughts are irrelevant. The NFL teams are looking to adapt to the new realities of dealing with this younger generation of players to keep them engaged, focused and motivated. The old models won't work.

Here's a study on this that would obviously need to be adapted to the unique environment of an NFL team.

It's simply Bill's old school antiquated management style that went out the door in the 90s. It no longer works with the younger generation.
You're probably a little early with that. Wasn't just the 90s, I'd say until the mid-2010s before things started to really shift. But aside from that, I agree, the current generation of kids is definitely different and requires more when it comes to managing them.

You're probably a little early with that. Wasn't just the 90s, I'd say until the mid-2010s before things started to really shift. But aside from that, I agree, the current generation of kids is definitely different and requires more when it comes to managing them.
I think it's the money they make with the NIL deals. Guys, especially day one draft picks, come in making money and, in their mind, have already achieved success. There's gotta be a level of why am I listening to this crap from him attitude. Brady put up with it, and if Brady did, then everyone else had no choice. When Brady stopped, that was it.

Gronk was a much better players so therefore we should hate Kelce. got it! I've watched here in Boston for a long time. Brees is terrible Manning is a stiff. Why? because some writer somewhere dared to compare one of them to Brady. and dare not even mention Montana.
I'm in absolute awe as to how you're so much more intelligent and just generally superior to me in every way. I'm humbled. Thank you for pointing out how much in error I am. Because of you, I'm going to rethink my entire life.

I'm in absolute awe as to how you're so much more intelligent and just generally superior to me in every way. I'm humbled. Thank you for pointing out how much in error I am. Because of you, I'm going to rethink my entire life.
you have every right to hate whoever you wish

I am not superior simply because I disagree with your feelings

Nah me personally I just think Kelce is a douchebag lol This was way before the Mahomes/ Swift and going Hollywood factor too.

you have every right to hate whoever you wish

I am not superior simply because I disagree with your feelings
For the record; I don't hate anyone. At worse, I sometimes loathe.

C'mon - he wanted a hug. Plus he's a Red Sox Manager, which it makes it even more egregious!

*he's = he was
No he was a Yankee coach at the time- that is an enemy uniform. Zimmer came at Pedro- what was he supposed to do? He could've punched him, instead he just pushed him to the ground. I say Pedro should be rewarded for it.
Thats a  very different thing than pushing your own HC and screaming in his face

I wasn't talking about the NFL specifically but in the general workplace. The autocratic style of leadership/management was already passé by the mid-90s and increased into the 2000s. The advent of the internet had a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Ian

In other words, today's bosses are required to compensate for lax parenting and the toxic influence of social media if they want young employees to perform as instructed. Wonderful. Especially when they arrive with things like "work-life balance" and "resistance to hierarchical structure" as priorities. Add in "short attention span" plus the constant need for "positive feedback/recognition," it's enough to make an employer run for the hills. Are we talking workplace or adult daycare center?

I wasn't talking about the NFL specifically but in the general workplace. The autocratic style of leadership/management was already passé by the mid-90s and increased into the 2000s. The advent of the internet had a lot to do with it.
Not really the internet, but definitely social media, which I'm assuming you're referring to and you'd absolutely be 100% correct there.

But on the leadership, that became a bigger issue in the late 2000s more so than the 90s. In the late 90s, Bill Parcells and those guys were still coaching and having success into the early 2000s. But I would agree, the mid to late 2000s was when younger guys seemed to start tuning more of it out which, as you also pointed out, has also been noticeable beyond the gridiron ;)

Last edited:
Not really the internet, but definitely social media, which I'm assuming you're referring to and you'd absolutely be 100% correct there.

But on the leadership, that became a bigger issue in the late 2000s more so than the 90s. In the late 90s, Bill Parcells and those guys were still coaching and having success into the early 2000s. But I would agree, the mid to late 2000s was when younger guys seemed to start tuning more of it out.
Again, I'm not talking about the NFL but the general workplace. The autocratic style of management shifted to more collaborative from the late 90s into the 2000s. The internet (networking) had a lot to do with it, before SM because it widened the exchange of ideas, increased production due to technological advances in computer software, etc. That created a whole branch of experts (IT, Cad, etc.) that required more collaboration. Workers could perform research online. The top-down management style became obsolete and frankly a lot of the autocratic bosses had no idea about the technology so their influence wained.

You're correct that it took longer in the NFL because of the uniqueness of that work environment, but the rest of the world was already moving on. At least in my experience in the technical/engineering/management side of things.

Reactions: Ian
No he was a Yankee coach at the time- that is an enemy uniform. Zimmer came at Pedro- what was he supposed to do? He could've punched him, instead he just pushed him to the ground. I say Pedro should be rewarded for it.
Thats a  very different thing than pushing your own HC and screaming in his face
Please note the small font in my original (sarcastic) post: "*he's = he was"

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back