PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the Monday Night Crew the Worst in Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't count how many times they called the Pats the Bills and vice versa, Todd Light, etc. They sound like a trio doing a high school football game in Rochester.

Razor's have you looked into a DVR? What I do is I use my DVR and the Internet radio and synch it up by pausing the DVR and restarting it at the appropriate time when the game starts and then just go from there. Sometimes it takes a little while to get the timing exact, but it's worth it not to have to listen to such terrible announcers. I only do that when there are announcers I don't like on.

What is the facination with Gil and Gino? I remember I had to listen to one of the preseason games in the car for the first series. Welker was apparently having a hell of a game according to Gil and Gino. When I made it into the house and turned on the TV I saw Welker sitting on the side lines in street clothes. That was a quick switch.

The only good think about listening to the local broadcast is that it is always more homer centric. Sometimes you don't care about the other teams prespective, especially when your team is losing. But other then that, I think the national announcers are much better.

I'm onboard with you, Pat.

Me. too. I thought in general they were pretty good. And their job is to improve the entertainment value of the game, which goes up dramatically when there is an upset in the offing.

Mike and Mike, on the other hand, are really bad. Particularly the little guy. He just looks completely out of sorts on TV.

My new system: TIVO the game , start watching it about 2 hours after it starts...fast forward through the commercials, the blather, halftime, and only hit play when the QB is under center. My "game management" caught me up with live play on the very last play. Boom , 75 minutes of uninterrupted football without out the "witty" chatter.
Sure, you don't get into with the same emotion as live, but it gives me alot of extra time on this site to boost my post count and belittle the Jets at the same time.

the lingo's nice but get the names right.

agreed, but lets give him a couple of weeks to get in synch...i mean, it's gotta be intimidating even for a guy who's done national media for years to have the red light (or whatever) go on and somebody squawk in your headset for the first time on Monday night, "You're live, cue Tirico" and all of a sudden be in the face of 30 or so million people, many of whom are just waiting for you to make a mistake...i'll cut him some slack.

Last edited:
They were pretty bad. I recall several times when they confused Bush for McFadden whenever the Raiders ran the ball.

I've always enjoyed Jaworski (how can you not appreciate a guy with a nickname like "The Polish Rifle"), both as a player and analyst. The NFL Matchup show he's done, IMHO, has been one of the better preview shows on, if you like x's and o'x vs. hype. Gruden's "go for the onsides kick" reflects his emotional personality as opposed to his ability to make good decisions under duress - hence the reason he's in the broadcast booth and BB is on the sidelines.

"Mike and Mike" are just terrible. There were multiple times on last nite's broadcast where they thought they were back on radio and spent 45 seconds simply debating each other as opposed to offering real commentary on the action.

Todd Light thought they were fine and appreciates 5 seconds towards his 15 minutes of fame.

What is the facination with Gil and Gino? I remember I had to listen to one of the preseason games in the car for the first series. Welker was apparently having a hell of a game according to Gil and Gino. When I made it into the house and turned on the TV I saw Welker sitting on the side lines in street clothes. That was a quick switch.

The only good think about listening to the local broadcast is that it is always more homer centric. Sometimes you don't care about the other teams prespective, especially when your team is losing. But other then that, I think the national announcers are much better.
Well everyone has different tastes, I loathe the Monday Night guys, NFLN guys, Chris Collinsworthless, and Jim Nantz.

The Todd Light thing bothered me...get the name right, will you? But overall, I liked it. I loved the "debate" between Jaws and Gruden over whether the Pats should kick off or go for the onside kick. Jaws, the QB, got it right, while Gruden, the coach, was wrong.

I like this team. Better than having Dennis Miller or Kornheiser.

I agree. I've always liked Jaws. And Gruden brings a lot from his experience, Overall I thought they were impartial. Kornhole & Miller were the worst by far.

You think the early crew was bad...what about Mike and Mike? Worts NFL broadcast I ever heard. Dorks.

My new system: TIVO the game , start watching it about 2 hours after it starts...fast forward through the commercials, the blather, halftime, and only hit play when the QB is under center. My "game management" caught me up with live play on the very last play. Boom , 75 minutes of uninterrupted football without out the "witty" chatter.
Sure, you don't get into with the same emotion as live, but it gives me alot of extra time on this site to boost my post count and belittle the Jets at the same time.

i've done the equivalent for games i don't care about (let the DVR get about a half hour ahead and then skip the commercials, DVR the halftime and wait another 15 minutes or so), but I could never do it for a Pats game or any game where I cared about the outcome; a lot of the experience for me is the emotion building up to each play or possession;

Last edited:
I thought Chucky was friggin awesome - very funny - tough - insightful

How can you not like Gruden aka Chucky. The dudes hilarious and insightful. Yeah he repeatedly called Matt Light Todd but did he not call out some nice things, especially when he predicted they would hit the middle of the field. He didn't just say it, he said it like the pats were just lulling the Bills to sleep with the constant out routes and i liked the argument whether they would onside or not. I almost felt like i could have hopped into that debate.

Also, Gruden is the closest thing to Madden. He said alot of dumb stuff all the time but i found it very entertaining. Announcers like Gruden and Madden are a breath of fresh air compared to announcers like Joe Buc. Joe can have the most insightful info and i wouldn't really care because of his annoying and ridiculously boring delivery. Joe Buc's voice can just suck the entertainment out of a game.

Again I liked Gruden and Matt Light sorta played like Todd Lyght :( (not a good thing considering todd was a DB)

I don't know if they are the worst in football, but they sure were disappointed when the Pats won. :rofl:

Last edited:
I did enjoy the camera work...especially sideline camera featuring Brady but showing Moss in the background. At one point Brady looked at Moss, Moss shook his head no, and they ran a sweep the other way. Good stuff you never see until an NFL highlite film shows into in super slow mo with a deep voice.

God, I thought Chucky was going to add some class to that group, but he got caught up in the idiocy as much as the other two. I wish I had had my DVR installed so I could have synched it up with Gil and Gino but instead I just got extensive work on my Mute button.

Anyone think another crew is worse?

I shut the sound off it was so bad. Unfortunately I have to do this with most
games because of the drivel that is being served up is such crap.

I thought Chucky was friggin awesome - very funny - tough - insightful

I concur, offered some good x & o info while not being boring. Brutal where the guys calling the bolts vs raiders game.

Yes they are the worst.

It's amazing how bad MNF has gotten.

I think Monday night football has sucked since Howard Cosell's been gone. He annoyed people but Cosell,Jackson and Meredith were the best. they called the game and talked the drama well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back