PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Stevan Ridley capable of being a top 5 RB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO people who believe Ridley benefits from being in NE offense are way off. I actually think it hurts him as a RB. Most of the RB on this list see way more reps and spend more time on the field than he does. So yes Brady might help him by putting him in good situations but that makes up for him having to do what the other backs do with 30%-40% less reps at best.

Guess that means he'll last longer.

Woodhead is put in at RB because of his blocking, sneaking out of the backfield as a safety valve, or on a designed run/delay. Hope he doesn't shoot for the moon and Pats are able to re-sign him ! :cool:

I've had these arguments ad nausem back in the day with Maroney vs. BJGE, let's just wait and see. I like Ridley, he is a good RB, here's how I'd place him IMO:

HOF super RB:
1. Adrian Peterson

Elite RBs: (Tier 1)
-Marshawn Lynch
-Arian Foster
-Jamaal Charles
-MJD (when healthy)

Tier 2:
-Doug Martin
-Alfred Morris
-C.J Spiller
-Chris Johnson
-Ray Rice
-Matt Forte
-Frank Gore
-Lesean Mccoy (when healthy)

Tier 3:
-Ridley
-Jackson
-Bradshaw
-Bush
-BJGE

Everyone above Ridley are either = or better runners and offer alot more in the receiving game. Ex. Ridley may of had 120 more rushing yards than Ray Rice, but Rice had 61 receptions for 678 yards.

Rice is certainly elite.

As for Ridley, he needs to learn how to catch

No. Not top 5. He is good, sometimes great. I like him. Makes mistakes at times. Not really a burner. Not a great COD, More Dillon like.

I still wonder why Maroney was such a bust...the guy could move extremely well, but, made of glass and not much going upstairs.

I wouldn't think so. To be a top 5 RB, Ridley would need upward of 300 carries every season to match the top tier production. BB has proven he likes to rotate his backs. Either way, it doesn't bother me if the collective perform.

I've had these arguments ad nausem back in the day with Maroney vs. BJGE, let's just wait and see. I like Ridley, he is a good RB, here's how I'd place him IMO:

HOF super RB:
1. Adrian Peterson

Elite RBs: (Tier 1)
-Marshawn Lynch
-Arian Foster
-Jamaal Charles
-MJD (when healthy)

Tier 2:
-Doug Martin
-Alfred Morris
-C.J Spiller
-Chris Johnson
-Ray Rice
-Matt Forte
-Frank Gore
-Lesean Mccoy (when healthy)

Tier 3:
-Ridley
-Jackson
-Bradshaw
-Bush
-BJGE

Everyone above Ridley are either = or better runners and offer alot more in the receiving game. Ex. Ridley may of had 120 more rushing yards than Ray Rice, but Rice had 61 receptions for 678 yards.

How can you pair BJGE anywhere close to Ridley? Or any of the guys in your tier 3 for that mather. BJGE doesn't have the physical talent. I would move up Ridley a tier because of his running ability. The thing that is most important for Running backs.

Who do people get so enthralled over whether a player is "TOP 5" at a particular position. It doesn't matter. What matters is that they perform as a TEAM. And it matters even more how they perform in the post season. And, right now, the biggest problem on offense, in my honest opinion, has been Brady being too anxious and not playing up to what he's capable of. On defense, it's been them not making the critical stop when it was needed most. Everything else doesn't matter.

Ridley proved he could handle the role as the LEAD back. Vereen showed glimpses of potential. Woodhead rebounded from what was a sub-par year and did well.

They all have room for improvement. And that includes the coaches and their game-planning. Brady needs to be the leader we know he is and SHOW he has faith in this team, particularly the running game. If you go back and look at 2001, 2003, and 2004, Brady was relaxed when he came out for each game. Since then, he's come out and not been the same. He's been anxious and impatient, for lack of better words, and his play and the play of the team has suffered for it.

How can you pair BJGE anywhere close to Ridley? Or any of the guys in your tier 3 for that mather. BJGE doesn't have the physical talent. I would move up Ridley a tier because of his running ability. The thing that is most important for Running backs.

True this is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday