PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Randy Moss the best receiver ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Rice did not draw triple and quadruple coverage and still make catches. He just didn't.

Yeah, Moss has four guys covering him when he runs routes and he just catches it in the face of four guys like he's Superman. Not.

You guys are fawning over Moss because he is on the Pats. If he wasn't on the Pats none of these claims about Moss being better than Rice would even be a whisper here. Rice is the undisputed greatest receiver of all time. That won't be changing for a very long time.

Last edited:
Um, no. I've considered Moss the greatest WR of all time while he was playing with MIN. And yes, Moss does make spectacular catches when he has 3 guys in his face. Did you just not see his first TD catch this season where he ran right through triple coverage? Or did that just not happen.

Go watch film of his Marshall and MIN years. He is beyond this world.

Rice had the greatest overall career, but he didn't make as big of an impact on the field, single game, as Moss. Moss is soo fast and athletic he forces defenses to focus on him... and he still burns 'em.

Yeah, Moss has four guys covering him when he runs routes and he just catches it in the face of four guys like he's Superman. Not.

You guys are fawning over Moss because he is on the Pats. If he wasn't on the Pats none of these claims about Moss being better than Rice would even be a whisper here. Rice is the undisputed greatest receiver of all time. That won't be changing for a very long time.

Two or three on a regular basis, four on a very watched and discussed play early in the season.

Do you own a TV?

Don't forget that when Rice played the DB's could take a lot more liberties with the receivers. The league has been clamping down on DB's over the years. You see guys throwing for 4,000+ yards now who have no business doing so, receivers catching 100+ balls who don't even make the pro bowl. As a result of rule changes we see all sorts of inflated numbers on the part of QB's and receivers now. Despite that Rice still comes out on top statistically. And we won't even talk about Rice's long and storied history of contribution to team success, his work ethic, attitude, toughness catching passes over the middle (whereas Moss too often develops alligator arm syndrome), precision in running routes, and play-making ability after the catch.

Last edited:
Answer to the thread is no.

Could he have been, yes.

Is he the best pure talent yes but the rock he hid under at Oakland tainted his reputation. Do you think Jerry Rice would have done that?

Don't forget that when Rice played the DB's could take a lot more liberties with the receivers. The league has been clamping down on DB's over the years. You see guys throwing for 4,000+ yards now who have no business doing so, receivers catching 100+ balls who don't even make the pro bowl. As a result of rule changes see all sorts of inflated numbers on the part of QB's and receivers now. Despite that Rice still comes out on top statistically.

That's true. No one has argued Rice isn't the greatest statistically, yet you keep saying the same thing over and over.

I'm not going to do the same.

Last edited:
That's true. No one has argued Rice isn't the greatest statistically, yet you keep saying the same thing over and over.

No. The point I just made is rule changes make Rice's statistical advantage even more pronounced that the numbers indicate on paper. This issue HAS NOT been discussed in this thread at all.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you can get on Moss for "quiting" on a team that was dead to begin with.

Randy Moss couldnt hold Jerry Rice's jock. End of story.

As incredible as I think Moss is, Jerry Rice was the best IMO.

No. The point I just made is rule changes make Rice's statistical advantage even more pronounced that the numbers indicate on paper. This issue HAS NOT been discussed in this thread at all.

Considering I have already conceded that Rice is statistically the greatest receiver ever, why would that need to be said.

Rice has the greatest statistics, the most statistics, he played the longest, he was the most consistent.

How many ways would you like me to agree with you on that point?

As we saw in the Philadelphia game, Moss just cruises down the field without a hand being out on him thanks to the new rule emphasis.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Moss is the most unbelievably talented receiver ever. There's no question about that, but it hasn't always translated into him playing the best. Rice still owns the title of "best" and I don't see Moss surpassing him unless he has years similar to this one each year for the rest of his career.

Everyone says if they had one game to play they'd pick Moss WHY? Plays are not made on potential, Rice has made the plays in one game scenerios Moss hasn't. Everyone speaks about these highlight reel catches but when has he done it when it mattered like in the playoff(not including this year hopefully) when Rice holds every postseason, Super Bowl, plenty single game, and single season records. You don't get these by great and simply playing longer than anyone, you get these by being the best. What record does Moss hold(beside 23 TD rec.), you don't get to be the best by making spectacular catches. You get it by stepping up in the big games, For an example: Montana, Brady they're considered the best because of them winning the big games and a quarterback like Marino not winning big games but having all the numbers. Rice has all the numbers and played his best in the big games. Also Rice played Deion(whom some consider the best CB ever) twice a year and put up some of his best games against him.

Last edited:
Don't forget that when Rice played the DB's could take a lot more liberties with the receivers. The league has been clamping down on DB's over the years. You see guys throwing for 4,000+ yards now who have no business doing so, receivers catching 100+ balls who don't even make the pro bowl. As a result of rule changes we see all sorts of inflated numbers on the part of QB's and receivers now.

Considering I have already conceded that Rice is statistically the greatest receiver ever, why would that need to be said.

Because it's a point no one has touched on and it indicates a bigger advantage to Rice than most people had considered.

Last edited:
Any thread that refers to Randall Cunningham as a "crappy" QB is ridiculous. As well as the fact that Dante Culpepper was quite the decent QB if your memory extends beyond a couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents