PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it too early to start reminiscing about the old NFL draft setup?

I don't watch anyways. Sit around for four hours to watch them trade out of the first round. Everything's a big production anymore. The draft, the pregame, halftime shows. Just get freaking going.

Rog's NEW Pot Luck NFL draft...THIS week, all week...starting July 31st.

See.... all 32 teams scramble to make their picks before they take to the field for preseason work!!!

See....mass confusion as agents jockey for position to attempt contract talks with owners hidden behind one way mirrored doors!

See...draftees in newly mandated league tutu's doing mandatory ballet plies and sideline flower tosses!

football-ballet.jpg

All day Saturday, all day Sunday. Weeklong buildup. Set yourself up like an NFL playoff weekend with food, drink, cigars. The missus knows not to book anything those days. The buildup to the first round on ESPN all morning. Get a few pops in you before the Jets fans groan at their first round pick. Listen to analysts' heads explode when Belichick's 3rd round pick comes in from left field. Live posting here for the rest of the day Saturday. Then all the navel gazing on Sunday at the already-made picks.

The new format: Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday... one cannot possibly derive the same level of entertainment over that time period due to work, family, and the inability to remain tipsy for 60 hours. <sigh>

Yes, yes, yes.

Hell, I remember the dark ages before the draft was even televised. I had to call the local newspaper's sports department to find out who the picks were.

I remember buying a magazine to get an idea during the Bobby Grier era. I specifically remember the Canty pick seeming strange and looking at the magazine wondering why they didn't pick Sam Madison.

Oh well, I thought, he's a professional, he knows more than me. Ha ha.

…or why Booby chose Brandon Mitchell AND Sedrick Shaw ahead of Jason Taylor.

I am okay with the new format, but I didn't have a problem with the old format though.

Pre-televised draft, the draft process was all shrouded in mystery. IIRC, it happened in late January/early February in the 70's, when I was growing up. I was always interested, mainly because they usually had 2 or 3 picks in the first round.

But I lived in Maine and the Patriots were a sports afterthought up there at that time, so I had to wait for my issues of Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly to come. It was like waiting for wisps of smoke from the Vatican. LOL

I used to get together with a bunch of buddies on Saturday and watch the draft, BBQ, and drink lots of beers. One of the only times we would all get together.

Now it just doesn't happen. No drama in watching day 3 on a Saturday. Thanks rodger, for ruining one of the best days of the year. Faulking arsebag!

Hell, I remember the dark ages before the draft was even televised. I had to call the local newspaper's sports department to find out who the picks were.

What's a newspaper? Haha

I remember buying a magazine to get an idea during the Bobby Grier era. I specifically remember the Canty pick seeming strange and looking at the magazine wondering why they didn't pick Sam Madison.

Oh well, I thought, he's a professional, he knows more than me. Ha ha.

OK, I'm an admitted non draftnik but back then I paid attention to the 1st round. I was all jacked and pumped about us taking Sam madison and what does Grier do? Takes the dwarf. WTF?

That summah as always I went to Smithfield training camp. You could literally stand next to players on the sideline and see how much bigger they were than average folk. I'm standing next to Law & Canty. I'm just over 5' 9", Law looked all of his 5' 11" (many players get listed taller than actual) and was impressively muscular. Very well constructed. You could see he had the requisite physique to be a physical corner. Next to him was Canty. Not even 5' 9", pipestem legs, thin arms and a head too big for a helmet. I was in shape and looked like a CB, he didn't. One look at him and I knew the Pats had seriously blown it.

Seeing Canty's fashion model pipestem legs and later Shawn Crable's and you knew you were not looking at an NFL player.

Put me down as missing Saturday all day.

New format is absurd.

i hate rodger goodell with a passion. hes slowly but surely ruining football. :mad:

I loved the old format, because you got plenty of action that first saturday. The new format is just bad! I thought it was great a few years ago when after the first round was over, the Pats had the 33rd pick. I remember wondering what kind of magic BB would pull with the 33 pick in his pocket and all night to work on a great trade. Then the next day and Ras-IR came, I have hated the new format ever since!!!!

Plus it lengthens the time between my rants about how bad the current BB pick is.

I'm just glad I got to go make a weekend out of it at Radio City Music Hall before they ruined it. I can't afford to take time off from my job mid week to wait all night for wrist bands to get in now. It's just not worth the productivity loss. Maybe when I'm retired. Standing in line waiting for the wrist bands is one of the funnest parts of the weekend.

It really is a good time. They cater to the in-house crowd. You get a gift bag and such. You know you're old, though, when you are checking out the players moms and ignoring the Jets cheerleaders.

I'm sure that there are people who love the new format. I remember being told that it was going to be awesome, that I was crazy for not liking it, and that I'd end up watching all 3 days.

Those people should post in this thread to let us know how they feel about it now.

I'm sure that there are people who love the new format. I remember being told that it was going to be awesome, that I was crazy for not liking it, and that I'd end up watching all 3 days.

Those people should post in this thread to let us know how they feel about it now.

When danger reared its ugly head, those posters bravely turned and fled...

OK then, I admit that I like the new format. I have the rest of Thursday night & all day Friday
to re-evaluate the best players available, both by position & regardless of position, and then
think about how the 2nd & 3rd rounds might go, especially regarding the possibility of Bill
making trades.

Heck, if it were up to me, each round would have its own day, and there would be 10 minutes
between every pick.

I'm easy; the new format is fine and the old format was fine. Actually, I found it hard to devote the whole Saturday to the draft with my other obligations and so it's a bit easier to follow all that's going on by having it spread out.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back