PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Favre Really All That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept asking myself "why the hell is he throwing so many bombs?" last night. A lot of them were terrible too - not even close. Once Rodgers came in they seemed to settle down nicely - he seemed to be playing more within his abilities, plus he has pretty good speed for a big QB. He seemed to use his head and didn't get flustered, which is pretty impressive considering how little he's played. Favre is having a good year, but you never know when he's going to just start slinging it and throwing picks left and right - must be frustrating for GB fans.

I kept asking myself "why the hell is he throwing so many bombs?" last night. A lot of them were terrible too - not even close. Once Rodgers came in they seemed to settle down nicely - he seemed to be playing more within his abilities, plus he has pretty good speed for a big QB. He seemed to use his head and didn't get flustered, which is pretty impressive considering how little he's played. Favre is having a good year, but you never know when he's going to just start slinging it and throwing picks left and right - must be frustrating for GB fans.

You throw bombs because Dallas has a poor secondary.

Favre threw 2 picks. One was a real interception resulting from a bad throw. The other resulted from him being hit on the elbow by a helmet as he threw, on the play that knocked him out of the game. I'm not sure how you blame Favre for that one.

Favre displayed consistently terrible decision-making the short while he was in there. It's exactly what he had not been doing most of the rest of the year. It's exactly what he had been doing the previous 2 years.

As far as the interceptions go, I'm not sure which one you thought Favre was hit on. On the 30 yard lame duck with no receiver within 15 yards of it, Favre let the ball go well before he was hit; he just starting cringing knowing that the hit was coming. The announcers said differently (of course), so I went back and slow-mo'd it. The tackler was still 1/2 a step in front of him when the ball was released! No need to slo-mo at all; it was obvious from all angles.

You throw bombs because Dallas has a poor secondary.

Is that why Favre consistently through bombs into tight, double-coverage - because the defenders there were actually illusions? :rolleyes:

Favre displayed consistently terrible decision-making the short while he was in there. It's exactly what he had not been doing most of the rest of the year. It's exactly what he had been doing the previous 2 years.

As far as the interceptions go, I'm not sure which one you thought Favre was hit on. On the 30 yard lame duck with no receiver within 15 yards of it, Favre let the ball go well before he was hit; he just starting cringing knowing that the hit was coming. The announcers said differently (of course), so I went back and slow-mo'd it. The tackler was still 1/2 a step in front of him when the ball was released! No need to slo-mo at all; it was obvious from all angles.

You're out of your mind if you think the second interception was on a clean pass thrown where Favre wanted the ball to go.

Is that why Favre consistently through bombs into tight, double-coverage - because the defenders there were actually illusions? :rolleyes:

I don't care that you appear to have an irrational dislike of Favre. It's not my concern. However, don't take my posts out of context and act as if my comment wasn't accurate. The reason you throw deep against the Cowboys is because the secondary is the weakest part of that defense, particularly the coverage of the safeties.

Last edited:
Favre is also 38 and playing better than any 38 year old QB in the history of the league. One subpar game doesn't change that. He may not be the best ever but he should be on everybody's shortlist of names considered for best ever.

I didn't see the game but I wonder if Dallas brought the pressure and forced him a bit. I mean it just so happens that he reverted to bad form while playing a pretty good pressure defense on the road.

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't exploit Roy Williams.

I was at the game last night and Dal got pressure on Favre and it doesn't look like he can move like he could when he was younger. Rodgers has good mobility and really played well.

As far as R. Williams, Dallas got him off the field when GB went with 4-5 wideouts. A couple times, they would bring in extra DB's and move Roy up to a LB position. Teams have figured out to attack him and Wade has been smart enough to limit his exposure in coverage.

Just an additonal thought, I was also at the Pat/Dal game earlier this year and the Pats were well represented , but the cheeseheads put on an impressive visitor showing. Either they travel extremely well, or there has been a huge exodus of transplants from the north-midwest to the DFW area.

Last edited:
sorry mr. madden, but rodgers performance spelling an injured favre kind of confirms what i thought about favre for some time. that hes been very over hyped as best qb ever.

Wow...what's with all the Favre hating...I'm not a Brett Favre fan...being from Minnesota and all...but atleast give the old man props for being one of the elite QBs in the league for the last two decades...

Have someone of you that criticized him on this post actually ever saw him play on a regular basis? The dude is a gunslinger...will have his bad games...but will overall make plays because he puts alot on his shoulders to win the game for his team...

Last edited:
Romo is the 2nd best QB in the league right now but probably is #2 altogether.

lol, no. if your 2nd best QB is somebody other than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, you're insane

if Peyton had been in Dallas all year his #'s would be better than Romo, and if Romo has been in Indy all year, his #'s would be much worse than Peyton

Last edited:
Wow...what's with all the Favre hating...I'm not a Brett Favre fan...being from Minnesota and all...but atleast give the old man props for being one of the elite QBs in the league for the last two decades...

I'll give him an elite QB in the league in the last decade. Or at least for about three years or so. But he hasn't been top 5 since 1998, until this year. And we saw this year's Favre exposed as a fraud against the Packers' first true test last night.

I'll give him an elite QB in the league in the last decade. Or at least for about three years or so. But he hasn't been top 5 since 1998, until this year. And we saw this year's Favre exposed as a fraud against the Packers' first true test last night.

I agree with most of this, but I'll add that the ability to stay healthy and productive is a skill in itself. he's been very good at this.

I probably quibble with your definition of "elite" though. to me "elite" is top 5ish. from 6-12 or so is "good/above average". 13-22 is "average", and past there below average and real bad

Last edited:
I agree with most of this, but I'll add that the ability to stay healthy and productive is a skill in itself. he's been very good at this.

I probably quibble with your definition of "elite" though. to me "elite" is top 5ish. from 6-12 or so is "good/above average". 13-22 is "average", and past there below average and real bad

Sometimes too good. I think playing through pain was one of the things that killed his game, at times. Throwing a football with a hairline fracture in your wrist like he did for about two years straight? Yeah, the fortitude of mind is remarkable, but it had to take something off his game.

As for the second part, I think you simply misunderstood me. The poster above said he had been elite for the "past two decades." He certainly hasn't been elite this past decade, so it had to have been in the last one. It was a confusing part to my post. Wish I had clarified that. I certainly don't believe Favre has been an elite QB over the past decade; nor do I think he was for much more than a few years.

Last edited:
You guys are nuts. Favre isnt overrated, his numbers speak for themselves. YOu dont hold every passing record by being a mediocre QB who was just good at not getting hurt.

Everyone acts like there can only be one good QB in the league.

especially when you have vicodin helping. for favre, mvp means more vicodin please.

especially when you have vicodin helping. for favre, mvp means more vicodin please.

and for Rodney it meant HGH.

all of these guys try to get an edge however they can, it's just that some get caught

A fraud??? Give me a break. Was Marino a fraud because he couldnt win the Superbowl? Was Unitis a fraud because he lost to Namath? Was Brady a fraud last year because Manning beat him?

and for Rodney it meant HGH.

all of these guys try to get an edge however they can, it's just that some get caught

rodney's not hanging his hat on an artificially induced consecutive games streak.

Last edited:
You guys are nuts. Favre isnt overrated, his numbers speak for themselves. YOu dont hold every passing record by being a mediocre QB who was just good at not getting hurt.
QUOTE]

how do these #'s speak to you?

Most Passes Had Intercepted, Career
283 Brett Favre, Atlanta, 1991; Green Bay, 1992-2007 YTD
277 George Blanda, Chi. Bears, 1949, 1950-58; Baltimore, 1950; Houston, 1960-66; Oakland, 1967-1975
268 John Hadl, San Diego, 1962-1972; Los Angeles, 1973-74; Green Bay, 1974-75; Houston, 1976-77

Last edited:
rodney's not hanging his hat on an artificial induced consecutive games streak.

I'm not sure what that means.

anyways, as a fan of a team you want your best players on the field as much as possible. Favre has been the best QB in Green Bay since the mid 90's or whatever, and he has played a lot and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

ditto for Peyton and Brady. look at how often most QB's go down.

be thankful thats yours is healthy and has a seeming knack to avoid bad injuries (some luck, some skill)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News