PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Favre Really All That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rodney's not hanging his hat on an artificially induced consecutive games streak.

Neither is Favre. There's no need for ignorance here. Taking pain medication and shots is part of being an NFL player.

how do these #'s speak to you?

Most Passes Had Intercepted, Career
283 Brett Favre, Atlanta, 1991; Green Bay, 1992-2007 YTD
277 George Blanda, Chi. Bears, 1949, 1950-58; Baltimore, 1950; Houston, 1960-66; Oakland, 1967-1975
268 John Hadl, San Diego, 1962-1972; Los Angeles, 1973-74; Green Bay, 1974-75; Houston, 1976-77

Michael Jordan missed more shots than anyone in the NBA. Does that mean he was overratted? Favre is great. All this stat pointing to the contrary sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:
He broke the touchdown record before the interecption record anyway.

You guys are nuts. Favre isnt overrated, his numbers speak for themselves. YOu dont hold every passing record by being a mediocre QB who was just good at not getting hurt.
QUOTE]

how do these #'s speak to you?

Most Passes Had Intercepted, Career
283 Brett Favre, Atlanta, 1991; Green Bay, 1992-2007 YTD
277 George Blanda, Chi. Bears, 1949, 1950-58; Baltimore, 1950; Houston, 1960-66; Oakland, 1967-1975
268 John Hadl, San Diego, 1962-1972; Los Angeles, 1973-74; Green Bay, 1974-75; Houston, 1976-77

all 3 of those guys were known as pretty damn good QB's

A fraud??? Give me a break. Was Marino a fraud because he couldnt win the Superbowl? Was Unitis a fraud because he lost to Namath? Was Brady a fraud last year because Manning beat him?

So last night was the Packers' Super Bowl? Funny, I thought it was a regular season game. If it was their SB, they lost it. And Favre was nowhere to be found. After his 2nd terrible INT that was, when he went down with his funny bone injury/bruised ego.

Michael Jordan missed more shots than anyone in the NBA. Does that mean he was overratted? Favre is great. All this stat pointing to the contrary sounds ridiculous.

You're comparing apples and oranges. There's approximately a zillion shots in any basketball game. In pro football, when you only get about 10 possessions a game, every one is dear.

I'm pretty sure Jordan was the consummate winner, too. Favre, for all his GOAT talk, only won once. He was beaten by an older but far superior QB in his other try.

Neither is Favre. There's no need for ignorance here. Taking pain medication and shots is part of being an NFL player.

i'm sure it is, but taking a prescription painkiller for as long as farve took it and becoming addicted is the only ignorant thing here.

So last night was the Packers' Super Bowl? Funny, I thought it was a regular season game. If it was their SB, they lost it. And Favre was nowhere to be found. After his 2nd terrible INT that was, when he went down with his funny bone injury/bruised ego.

You're comparing apples and oranges. There's approximately a zillion shots in any basketball game. In pro football, when you only get about 10 possessions a game, every one is dear.

You are making my point. It was a regular season game. One game. Over an unmatched career.

Im not saying Favre is Jordan. Im making a point. Its like you people are looking at a mole on a supermodels back and making a case that she is ugly. And before you say anything I know Favre is not a supermodel.

You take one and a half quarters of a regular season game, and try to make the case that Favre is overratted. Grab a stat that he has the most INTs and you have a rock solid case. Are we still bitter about losing the SB to them?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Jordan was the consummate winner, too. Favre, for all his GOAT talk, only won once. He was beaten by an older but far superior QB in his other try.

weird, I thought Favre and his offense played against the Denver defense and Elway and his offense played against the Green Bay defense

but I guess they faced off head to head

for reference, here is what Elway did in that SB : 12/22, 123 yards (!), 0 TD, 1 INT
Favre: 25/42, 256 yards, 3 TD's, 1 INT

I would say Favre played much better than Elway did

Last edited:
i'm sure it is, but taking a prescription painkiller for as long as farve took it and becoming addicted is the only ignorant thing here.

Not to those of us who understand how athletics and addictions work.

Michael Jordan = 6 Championships
Brett Favre = 1 Championship

Puts it into context relative value of MJ's misses versus Favre's INTs

You are making my point. It was a regular season game. One game. Over an unmatched career.

You take one and a half quarters of a regular season game, and try to make the case that Favre is overratted. Grab a stat that he has the most INTs and you have a rock solid case. Are we still bitter about losing the SB to them?

I was talking about Favre being exposed for what he is this season. He's been overrated forever. That fact had little to nothing to do with what happened last night. It was just the return of the old Favre.

Michael Jordan = 6 Championships
Brett Favre = 1 Championship

Puts it into context relative value of MJ's misses versus Favre's INTs

Not really, considering the vast difference in number of players involved and the strength of competition being faced. Jordan was 1 of 5-8 players getting real minutes. Favre was one of 22 starters, plus special teams, plus sub package players. Furthermore, Favre was playing in a league with more great opposition. Jordan and the Bulls would probably never have won a title had they played in the 80's rather than the 90's. They were good for no better than the 4th or 5th team in the league, well behind L.A., Boston, and Philly, behind Detroit at its best, Houston at its best, and perhaps behind Cleveland and others as well.

Last edited:
Even at his best Favre was high risk, high reward. The past 6-7 years Favre has been a mistake prone QB. His turnover numbers in the regular season have been so bad they actually top guys like Aaron Brooks and Jake Plummer. And he has killed his team in big games. Since the Denver Super Bowl when he was at his peak, his playoff stats are 11 TDs and 16 INTs. That is nothing short of horrible. Even if you take out his 6 pick game against the Rams, the numbers are 9 TDs/10 INTs - still horrible.

Favre was a great player back in the day. There is no denying that. Where the backlash comes is too many in the media portray him like he is still that player. He isn't and he hasn't been for years. He had played better this season, even if it was against a weak NFC/AFC West schedule prior to looking like the Favre of recent years last night in the team's biggest game to date.

Last edited:
After the Packers/Cowboys game, I don't want to hear any more Favre MVP talk. Favre had a chance to lead his team to the dominant position in the NFC and he coughed up the ball twice and didn't accomplish anything.

Agreed....Favre should not even be in the same sentence with MVP.....Hell for the past two years prior his name was M-U-D-!

The game also killed the notion that he's more "valuable" to his team than Brady. You'll never see Brady's back-up outplay him.

Well...in fairness Tom's backup is Matt Cassel......Aaron Rodgers makes Matt Cassel look like Ryan Leaf...........

Wow, some of you guys are really taking rooting for the best team in the league as an ivory tower. If you cant recognize that Favre is one of the best to ever play the game you are delusional.

Wow, some of you guys are really taking rooting for the best team in the league as an ivory tower. If you cant recognize that Favre is one of the best to ever play the game you are delusional.

call it what you will, but if you replaced brady with favre on this team, it would cost us several games a year, and im sure some rings too. so if favre is "one of the best ever" that must make brady "best ever" by leaps and bounds. maybe there's a case to be made there. tom is awfully good. and when it's all said and done will be included in "best ever" discussions. but light years ahead of others on the short list? i don't think so. but if you buy into the favre analysis, and recognize how worse off we'd be with him, that puts brady light years ahead of the pack. and the flip side is brady on the packers certainly makes them a much better team over the last 10 years, at least to me. so go ahead, call me a kool-aid drinker or whatever. it's all very clear

Last edited:
i also thought he showed good arm strength. certainly rodgers has elevated his profile around the league as a capable starter. i wouldnt be surprised is a) packers don't try to beg favre to not retire at the end of this year, unlike years past or b) if favre returns then another team makes an offer for rodgers they can't refuse
Of course Rodgers has good arm strength, its hard to find a first round pick that doesn't have all of the physical tools. IMO Favre just layed an egg, something that you will get with favre sometimes, but he is still one of the best. Anyone who saw him in his prime should know that.

call it what you will, but if you replaced brady with favre on this team, it would cost us several games a year, and im sure some rings too. so if favre is "one of the best ever" that must make brady "best ever" by leaps and bounds. maybe there's a case to be made there. tom is awfully good. and when it's all said and done will be included in "best ever" discussions. but light years ahead of others on the short list? i don't think so. but if you buy into the favre analysis, and recognize how worse off we'd be with him, that puts brady light years ahead of the pack. and the flip side is brady on the packers certainly makes them a much better team over the last 10 years, at least to me. so go ahead, call me a kool-aid drinker or whatever. it's all very clear

That is the ultimate if sentence that you could never prove. I could just as easily say give Favre BB and Moss and he would be undefeated.

So in other words, I think Brady is the best QB in the league right now, but I dont buy into your analysis.

sorry mr. madden, but rodgers performance spelling an injured favre kind of confirms what i thought about favre for some time. that hes been very over hyped as best qb ever. he may not even be one of the best QBs in the league. his backup looked to have just as much arm strength, but he ran a smarter, more effective offense. what's amazing about favre has been his longevity and not missing games due to injury. i think that and his coach's willingness to put up w/ his free wheeling style, has as much to do w/ his passing records, as anything. consider he also holds record for INTs.

To be fair to Favre in Thurs' game, the Dallas D got ALOT of pressure on him. In recent weeks, Favre WASN'T trying to press things, which was why he was playing lights out.

If Parcells were still coaching our team, Brett would probably have had a field day(under Tuna, generating QB pressure was actually one of our WEAKNESSES).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes