PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Introducing...the prevent defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated in my stats thread we are 30th in the league in yards allowed. seeing as how Belichick is a defensive genius ... I would tend to think that perhaps this is part of a plan which we don't fully comprehend. If he wanted to be in the top 5 I am sure we would be ... the risk reward factor favors the way he calls the game.

They can't dink and dunk their way up the field in that amount of time.

That's the point.

The onside kick tacked on 3 minutes to the clock!!!!!!!!!!!

If there were 13 minutes left, then I would have agreed with you.

I beg to differ. You most certainly can dink and dunk your way up the field in 10 minutes for 3 scores. Not to mention that the Chargers are good at intermediate routes (which are 10-20 yards). And that's where they killed the Pats.

I would like to thank the Chargers' mental mistakes for the win. That, and only that, is the reason the Patriots were able to win the game.

very realistic statement here......they make that kick....To OT we go..then like the luck on any patriot coin toss....chargers would get ball first and the rest would be history....although I have to say....our D is tightening up and looking stouter,......but when all you need is a FG to win....usually.....most teams can get in range...

It prevents you from winning the game!:bricks::mad:

BB's playcalling defensively was awful today......soft, weak, prevent.........

BB's playcalling defensively was awful today......soft, weak, prevent.........

30th in the league in yards allowed and 5-1 record.

Somewhere in there he's on to something is the way i see it.

I beg to differ. You most certainly can dink and dunk your way up the field in 10 minutes for 3 scores. Not to mention that the Chargers are good at intermediate routes (which are 10-20 yards). And that's where they killed the Pats.

Rivers was finding the soft spots in the zone all throughout the 4th quarter. That's where the Chargers were doing most of their damage. On top of that, Guyton had a horrible game coverage-wise. But it was the zone coverage that was killing us on defense. I'm still unsure why it took Belichick so much time to switch it up to man coverage. It stopped the intermediate passes over the middle and forced Rivers to try to go after McCourty again.

Wrong. It was the right decision. Tell me how San Diego comes back into the game without that onside kick.

It's on the players, not Belichick.

It was good strategy, 3 score lead with less than 10 minutes, you wind time off the clock, and make sure NO TURNOVERS, NO ONSIDE KICKS.

The formula is simple and effective. it needs to be executed. The chances of a team coming back from that deficit with a prevent defense are minimal.

BB played "soft" most of the game.......Brought some "pressure" packages a fair amount (cant call them blitz schemes because NONE of our D is going to get a ton of sack opps in this league this year.....just don't have the talent) but overall BB played a stand back, give but don't break defense......not going to win championships with this kind of D unless you have consistently the offense we had in 2007......

All I know is that Gary Guyton played like crap out there. Actually liked what I saw from Dane Fletcher and Sergio Brown. Hopefully the Chung knee injury isn't serious.

Guyton sucked tonight....doubt anyone is going to argue that one......

I agree. HOWEVER, I don't think that Green-Ellis is a very good short yardage back. I also think Connelly is a poor excuse for a fullback. THEREFORE, I think that we had a better chance with a passing play, with the option for Brady to call a sneak (an option he always has).

Once again ad nauseum.....the RB in most cases (see Barry Sanders for the other case) is ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OFFENSIVE LINE BLOCKING/PLAY.........If the holes are opened...a GOOD RB will be able to run through them and make something happen. Now, take Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson and give them our OL against the Balt D last week......DO YOU THINK that they are going to get any more than BJGE against them? OF course not....
BJGE runs hard...and is decisive. If the hole is there....HE IS HITTING it and making something happen. If there is no hole and the DL or LB is in the backfield or meeting him in the hole.....he (and no other All star RB) is going nowhere.....It is common sense....

I don't think you can.

This is the way I figure it. No onside kick, the Patriots have the ball say at the 25 with 7:10 on the clock. They run it three times, 5 seconds per run and another 5 seconds to set the ball, 35 second clock on each play. 45 seconds times 3 is 135 seconds plus 10 seconds for the punt play. Assume they kick it from their own 33 for a 40 yard net and San Diego gets it at their 27.

145 seconds or 2:25 was run off the clock.

San Diego took 7:20 to score 14 points after getting the ball at the 11:20 mark.

Add it all up, that's 9:45 run off the clock.

1:35 is left on the clock. The Patriots have the ball. 3 running plays, San Diego calls three timeouts, the Patriots gain 8 yards, 10 seconds for the punt, and the San Diego Chargers are at their 20 yard line with just under a minute left. But they have no timeouts.

It took San Diego 1 minute on their last drive to get to the 30 from New England's 48.

Last edited:
BB played "soft" most of the game.......Brought some "pressure" packages a fair amount (cant call them blitz schemes because NONE of our D is going to get a ton of sack opps in this league this year.....just don't have the talent) but overall BB played a stand back, give but don't break defense......not going to win championships with this kind of D unless you have consistently the offense we had in 2007......

Yep, they will never win a championship with a bend but don't break defense! :(

the other team is also a professional football team and they will make plays also. even in the first quarter, the defense gave up yards .the chargers just made stupid plays like throwing the ball on the ground when not touched to make it seem they played something totally different defensively. Good offensive teams will make a surge during the late games and it sometimes happens.

This season i think the defense should be talked about in different terms.

In the past it was the bend but don't break moniker.

I think it's more of a lull and deceive defense.

Now I wish I could explain this in football terms ... but I cannot.

I do know what I see ... the offense gets lulled at times into execution and then Bill deceives them with the same looks with different schemes and they find themselves quickly looking at 4th down.

How else can one explain being the 30th team in runs allowed with a 5-1 record?

Bend but don't break has become lull and deceive.

I have to agree with those calling out BB's coaching style.

It was a pitiful loss to the Chargers. For the life of me, I can not phathom why Bob Kraft continues to allow this fool to mismange the team. Art Modell was right, BB has no business coaching a team in the NFL.

:bricks:

This game was pitiful at the end. We almost gave up 21 points in less than 10 minutes. It reminded me of 2006 AFCCG against Indy and of course last year's debacle with 4th and 2.

I just dont understand why our coverage loosens up when we have a lead. Pats were playing great with tight coverage in the first half, and then all of a sudden when up 20-3, Crayton had like 30 yds of wide open running room.

I would like to thank the Chargers' mental mistakes for the win. That, and only that, is the reason the Patriots were able to win the game.

I completely agree.

That was the worst played & coached victory I can remember watching in a long, long time.

Up 23-6 with 10 minutes to go, you do bend-but-don't break.

Why? Why not just go with what's been working? What good is going to Prevent if it allows SD to pick up a 1st down on every single damn throw?

Please, let's get real. That onside kick is not on the coaching staff. The players were stuck in their cement shoes.

I disagree. Bill & Scott should've had the Hands Team on the field at that point in the game.

I strongly disagree. I can think of a lot f worse examples of playcalling in game that we won.

1) The defensive playcalling was just fine.

2) The offensive playcalling was generally fine, although I disagree with the play call on 4th and 1. Of course, Green-Ellis could have executed better. Obviously 1st half execution was terrible. Coaching must be given credit for some of the improvement in performance in the second half.

3) Obviously not preparing for the onside kick was as bad as it gets.

I completely agree.

That was the worst played & coached victory I can remember watching in a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News