PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Introducing...the prevent defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prevent D has got to go with a lead

I was impressed with how the defense played until they slipped into the prevent. To play the prevent, you gotta tighten up in the red zone. They seem to forget that.

I agree. HOWEVER, I don't think that Green-Ellis is a very good short yardage back. I also think Connelly is a poor excuse for a fullback. THEREFORE, I think that we had a better chance with a passing play, with the option for Brady to call a sneak (an option he always has).

I'm not going to talk about the playcall there but two players did not execute. Connolly blew his block and BenJarvus took it outside instead of inside or off tackle.

I'm not going to talk about the playcall there but two players did not execute. Connolly blew his block and BenJarvus took it outside instead of inside or off tackle.

It was Neil that blew the block. He looked outside instead of inside, and the LB came in and blew it up.

Either way, people are *****ing about the call but they don't have a clue what they were watching. Right call, but 1 player failed to do their job. If Neil executes that block Lawfirm picks up the first down and then some.

But I won't get in the way of the BoB ***** fest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its a drastic prevent defense where teams pick up 20 yard passes over the middle. This makes the team go soft. It trickles to special teams. Which gives the home
Crowd hope which makes our o crap its pants. Did anyone expect the o to get a first down that last drive. They never seem to. BB is so good 90% of the time but his stubborness and amateur coaching staff has nothing to close out games.

Wrong. It was the right decision. Tell me how San Diego comes back into the game without that onside kick.

It's on the players, not Belichick.

It was good strategy, 3 score lead with less than 10 minutes, you wind time off the clock, and make sure NO TURNOVERS, NO ONSIDE KICKS.

The formula is simple and effective. it needs to be executed. The chances of a team coming back from that deficit with a prevent defense are minimal.

because an onside kick is worth 6 points:rolleyes:
with 10 minutes left and a 3 score lead IMO you stick with your regular defense, too much time for an offense that good to dink and dunk their way up the field and get a quick score to put them right back in the game with 8 minutes and 3 timeouts to get 10 points.

The prevent defense sucks

Belichick has not learned. Defense
Gavenup 6 points all game
So he
Decidesnto change it up.
They were trying to kill the clock, but it was too early and too close for that. Every now and then BB makes a decision that just doesn't make any sense. Hopefully, he'll wait to make these soft zone adjustments until we have a bigger lead next time.

because an onside kick is worth 6 points:rolleyes:
with 10 minutes left and a 3 score lead IMO you stick with your regular defense, too much time for an offense that good to dink and dunk their way up the field and get a quick score to put them right back in the game with 8 minutes and 3 timeouts to get 10 points.

They can't dink and dunk their way up the field in that amount of time.

That's the point.

The onside kick tacked on 3 minutes to the clock!!!!!!!!!!!

If there were 13 minutes left, then I would have agreed with you.

All I know is that Gary Guyton played like crap out there. Actually liked what I saw from Dane Fletcher and Sergio Brown. Hopefully the Chung knee injury isn't serious.

They can't dink and dunk their way up the field in that amount of time.

That's the point.

The onside kick tacked on 3 minutes to the clock!!!!!!!!!!!

If there were 13 minutes left, then I would have agreed with you.

After the onside kick, were we not playing soft coverage?

It was Neil that blew the block. He looked outside instead of inside, and the LB came in and blew it up.

Either way, people are *****ing about the call but they don't have a clue what they were watching. Right call 1 player failed to do their job. If Neil executes that block he picks up the first down and then some.

But I won't get in the way of the BoB ***** fest. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100 percent. People get into patterns of doing things and the pattern right now is to blame the OC every time the Patriots fail to get a first down or move more than a yard. It was the same with McDaniels, especially after the SB loss. It's pathetic.

The prevent defense sucks

I agree.

All I know is that Gary Guyton played like crap out there. Actually liked what I saw from Dane Fletcher and Sergio Brown. Hopefully the Chung knee injury isn't serious.

I almost started a thread about Fletcher. He has really carved out a niche for himself, spying the RB out of the backfield and his open field play is very good. I was wondering why Fletcher wasn't out there when Sproles caught that 8 yard pass.

Guyton just looked slow and stiff the whole game.

Brown looked solid for his first real playing time.

Ugly but as they say its hard to win in the NFL!

Last edited:
Obviously you can play too soft, but I'll never understand the gnashing of teeth when we have a lead and are giving up 5 yard passes to runningbacks.

Better we should bring the safeties in close and give up 40 yard passes instead?

Last edited:
Not a single deep pass that I can remember. This is what's causing the offense to have trouble. Teams can bunch 10 within 10 yards of ball and clog the lanes. Tate wasn't even on the field for most of the game.

It's not even as important to complete deep balls as it is to show that you will throw deep. Let's not wait until we lose a game, fire the offensive coordinator now.

I almost started a thread about Fletcher. He has really carved out a niche for himself, spying the RB out of the backfield and his open field play is very good. I was wondering why Fletcher wasn't out there when Sproles caught that 8 yard pass.

Guyton just looked slow and stiff the whole game.

Brown looked solid for his first real playing time.

Ugly but as they say its hard to win in the NFL!

I agree with you 100% - Brown looked good for his first game. Fletcher should be in there in those situations.

In a related development - The Pats are still holding the plane from SD - Guyton is still on the field looking for his jock after the Sproles play,

Not when you defense holds the best offense in the NFL to 6 points. We have a fairly conservative defense as it is but when you go to a prevent, you let teams back in games that they have no business being in.

The Chargers weren't the best offense unless you ignore points and ONLY look at yards gained.

The Chargers were the 5th best offense, points wise.

Not a single deep pass that I can remember. This is what's causing the offense to have trouble. Teams can bunch 10 within 10 yards of ball and clog the lanes. Tate wasn't even on the field for most of the game.

It's not even as important to complete deep balls as it is to show that you will throw deep. Let's not wait until we lose a game, fire the offensive coordinator now.

Guess you didn't watch the game. They had at least 2 to Hernandez.

BTW, deep is considered anything more than 20 yards.

Also, I suggest you go and get the 3 Games to Glory DVDs and watch them. You'll see that the Pats didn't have any true deep threats in 2001, 2003 or 2004. They beat opposing teams by executing short and intermediate routes to near perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes