PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Introducing...the prevent defense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that Gary Guyton played like crap out there. Actually liked what I saw from Dane Fletcher and Sergio Brown. Hopefully the Chung knee injury isn't serious.

I agree, about all 4 players.

Yep, they will never win a championship with a bend but don't break defense! :(

That was Then; This is Now.

The rules have changed in the over half-decade since the Pats last won a championship.

Bend-But-Don't-Break is broken. We now need a Kill the QB defense.

I really like this Fletcher guy. I just like the way he plays and think he's been a good pickup. I think he's already better than Guyton.

Guyton may be a freakish athlete but the dude looks so freakin stiff at times out there. And he still can't generate any pressure either. He looks like he should be able to cover but he just doesn't make any plays.

The D got lucky today. Horrible miscues on the fumble and backward pass by the Chargers. I hate the prevent D as much as anyone. It doesn't work and it's a myth. I believe in going for the jugular when you have the chance, but the BBDB would've worked today. They made the Chargers chew up clock and held them to a FG in the red zone. Typical Belichick BBDB that was actually executed well. The onside kick is where it all went South.

Great stop by Brown on Gates though.

Last edited:
I really like this Fletcher guy. I just like the way he plays and think he's been a good pickup. I think he's already better than Guyton.

Guyton may be a freakish athlete but the dude looks so freakin stiff at times out there. And he still can't generate any pressure either. He looks like he should be able to cover but he just doesn't make any plays.

The D got lucky today. Horrible miscues on the fumble and backward pass by the Chargers. I hate the prevent D as much as anyone. It doesn't work and it's a myth. I believe in going for the jugular when you have the chance, but the BBDB would've worked today. They made the Chargers chew up clock and held them to a FG in the red zone. Typical Belichick BBDB that was actually executed well. The onside kick is where it all went South.

Great stop by Brown on Gates though.

Guyton is slower now because he's bigger. You can tell he bulked up. I bet he did it to be an every down player, to fill against the run.

I just dont understand why our coverage loosens up when we have a lead. Pats were playing great with tight coverage in the first half, and then all of a sudden when up 20-3, Crayton had like 30 yds of wide open running room.

It's by design, up 3 scores and less than a half to go, the critical thing is to not allow quick scores. By taking away everything deep and allowing them to dink and dunk underneath (but tackling them in-bounds) you are trading yards and points for time. And they would easily have run the game out this way if not for the onside kick. Yes, they completed a few longer passes despite this coverage. Believe it or not, there are also good players on other teams we play, Philip Rivers being one of them. So it happens.

Bottom line, this is the right defense to play in that situation, and what we always used to do when we were running long winning streaks. The defense was tiring too and we'd lost some players, so I don't think we'd have had the same result if we tried to implement the same schemes they were running in the first half.

The only issue I had with the coaching was that the "hands" team should have been out there for the onside kick. I loved going for the 4th down, and always will. If I were the other teams we play, like the Ravens who meekly backed down in the same situation, it would drive me crazy.

It's by design, up 3 scores and less than a half to go, the critical thing is to not allow quick scores. By taking away everything deep and allowing them to dink and dunk underneath (but tackling them in-bounds) you are trading yards and points for time. And they would easily have run the game out this way if not for the onside kick. Yes, they completed a few longer passes despite this coverage. Believe it or not, there are also good players on other teams we play, Philip Rivers being one of them. So it happens.

Bottom line, this is the right defense to play in that situation, and what we always used to do when we were running long winning streaks. The defense was tiring too and we'd lost some players, so I don't think we'd have had the same result if we tried to implement the same schemes they were running in the first half.

The only issue I had with the coaching was that the "hands" team should have been out there for the onside kick. I loved going for the 4th down, and always will. If I were the other teams we play, like the Ravens who meekly backed down in the same situation, it would drive me crazy.

How is that the right defense to play? You're taking away the aggressiveness of the defense which has served us well all game long. And you're assuming that the Chargers will all of a sudden start completing low percentage passes against a D that has played well. Who knows, we might have caused another turnover had we kept playing more aggressive.

If the Pats make that stop on 4th down (on SD's first TD drive), then the Pats probably end up winning the game by 17 points and we're all talking about how dominant the defense was.

But.....

...they didn't get the stop, SD scored, got the onsides kick, marched right down, scored again, got the ball back, and almost marched right down again and won or tied the game. If the Pats make that *one* play on 4th down we view this game in a completely different light.

It is by design. Once the Pats get up 31-3 on the Bengals, up 14 on the Bills, up 20-3 on the Chargers, BB gets his calculator out and rightly so. If the other team takes 6 minutes to score, as the D plays prevent, there is no way the other team can catch up. Yards by Palmer, Fitzpatrick, and Rivers are NBA-like garbage time yards. What BB didn't count on was a KO return (Buffalo) and an onside kick with 4 miuntes left. Like it or not, the playrers don't like it and the fans don't like it, precvent D is effective winning football. It is as if BB is in the other teams offfensive huddle calling plays. BB manages the game with his prevent D.

Guyton is slower now because he's bigger. You can tell he bulked up. I bet he did it to be an every down player, to fill against the run.

I noticed that about Guyton, also. Hell, he looks bulkier now than he did on opening day,
when he got the Pick-6 vs Cinci.
That same Guyton should've been able to step in front of that TD pass to Gates,
and at the very least knock down the damn ball.

Last edited:
If the Pats make that stop on 4th down (on SD's first TD drive), then the Pats probably end up winning the game by 17 points and we're all talking about how dominant the defense was.

But.....

...they didn't get the stop, SD scored, got the onsides kick, marched right down, scored again, got the ball back, and almost marched right down again and won or tied the game. If the Pats make that *one* play on 4th down we view this game in a completely different light.

Not only did they not stop SD on 4th/5, but how about allowing 18 yds on 3rd/15 earlier during the same drive?

If a Prevent defense cannot stop a 3rd/15, then what fu#%ing good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft