Interesting stats from USA today

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
A must read for the stats people

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl06.htm

Interesting stuff, I have little idea what I'm looking at, but it looks like it ranks the Pats #2 and our division #1 overall. I could be reading this wrong, when I see this many numbers my eyes tend to glaze over !!!

If this was already posted, I'm sorry

Interesting stuff, I have little idea what I'm looking at, but it looks like it ranks the Pats #2 and our division #1 overall. I could be reading this wrong, when I see this many numbers my eyes tend to glaze over !!!

Any MIT guys out there?

All of these analyses are garbage-in garbage-out attempts to predict something which is unpredictable, but in the PURE POINTS, which is described as the best value for predicting the outcome of future games, we're #1. At least until you give SD 3 points for home field advantage.

What about the division stuff ????

Sargrin has been doing this for quite awhile. It is one way. There are many other ways to do it.
I like Sargarin as it is a strictly numerical. Having view this over the years
the method seems to yield pretty good results.

I must admit that I don't dig Sagarin's rankings.

In ELO CHESS, only winning and losing matters; the score margin is of no consequence, which makes it very "politically correct".

san diego ELO CHESS: #1 overall
new england ELO CHESS: #3 overall

However it is less accurate in its predictions for upcoming games than is the PURE POINTS, in which the score margin is the only thing that matters.

san diego PURE POINTS: #2 overall
new england PURE POINTS: #1 overall

The overall RATING is a synthesis of the two diametrical opposites, ELO CHESS and PURE POINTS (PREDICTOR).

san diego OVERALL RATING: #1 overall, 30.98 rating
new england OVERALL RATING: #2 overall, 30.54 rating.

the pure points takes into consideration margin of victory, meaning that a 40-7 win over houston would weigh more than a 19-17 win over buffalo. would someone else like to chip in as to why it's not a "win or a loss" as the only thing that matters-- seeing as how as far as this weekend is concerned, a win or loss is all that matters..

Last edited:
ya, am I reading it right, Pats #2 and AFC East #1 overall based on this guys numbers ?

One SIGNIFICANT stat to note is that the Chargers racked up their numbers playing a very weak strength of schedule, 27th overall, according to those charts. Whereas the Pats also accumulated very impressive numbers while facing the 8th toughest schedule in the NFL.

In other words the Chargers piled up points against weak teams while the Patriots faced the best of the best this season. So in other words the Chargers numbers don't look all that impressive considering who they piled them up against. :) :singing:

It does not take an MIT degree to see an interesting stat -- that the Pats are 5-2 against teams in the top 10 and played more of such teams than SD.

I'm surprised the AFC East would look so good, although consider that the 2d 3rd and 4th teams in the division were a combined +1 in win/loss. And note that without the Pats beating them twice, the Bills were 7-7. I thought our AFC opponents were weak, but the AFC South looked better than expected with Tenn being much better than expected and Jax a little down from expectation and Houston being respectable.

We may dismiss the NFC North, but we did beat da Bears, and GB, as bad as it looked against us, was in a virtual tie with the NYG in the last week and lost on a low tiebreaker.

MIT Grad

please someone tell me how they got the averages
o yea by the way who is that guy that made the thing

please someone tell me how they got the averages
o yea by the way who is that guy that made the thing
I don't know who Jeff Sagarin "is" but he has been doing his rating system for many years.

The Strength of Schedule stat is pretty easy to explain. For example if I beat random charger troll's grandmother into the endzone doesn't suddenly make me the second coming of Jim Brown. However if I beat Brian Urlacher, then that touchdown might say something of how good I am. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back