PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Piece on Ras-I Dowling on Bleacher Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your examples of Love and Moore are spot on.

I also think that it could be debated that both may be considered decent depth for measured/balanced rotations and situational reps.

In other words, they can offer depth with the ability to start in a pinch, and they already know the system.

I don't think either one is spectacular on any level or strectch, but they should fit the bill to be two guys who are considered overachivers at times, when you look at their relative cost and draft position (or lack thereof).

No doubt. I'm not saying they belong on waivers, but that they are what they are, and fit a group that gets a lot of attention on this board: guys who fight to make the roster, and when they do and don't pull a Sergio, fans now create fantasy of them becoming better players than they have a chance to be.

guys who fight to make the roster, and when they do and don't pull a Sergio, fans now create fantasy of them becoming better players than they have a chance to be.

Right. That is going to be the obvious deciding factor, the ability to either progress or regress (like both Sergio Brown and McCourty last yr) in the upcoming season(s).

I think the fair thing to do would probably wait and see how it shakes out, but I certainly understand the viewpoint of seeing guys like this before who have looked pretty bad the next year.

Last edited:
Everyone will always have their own opinion of various players here, so I think that's pretty normal.

I would question your thoughts on his 'biggest plays' of the season, as he had 10 total passes defensed in only 6 games played, 2 INT's, 1 TD, and a big forced fumble in the SB that may have changed the outcome of the game had there not been 12 men on the play.

He also led the team in passes defended in all 3 of the teams playoff games, with 2 in each game.

In comparison, McCourty only had 13 passes defended all yr, and he played in 17 games and was the main target of opposing QB's. If you would project Moore's stats (which is obviously a stretch, but sometimes people do it), he would've had the potential to reach almost 30 passes defended, which would have been way more than 2x as many as any other of our CB's. I am not saying that is a viable stat, b/c we know it wouldn't have turned out that way, but it is something to consider. At the very least 10 passes defended in only 6 games played could be considered impressive by some.

Personally, I think that it seems kind of strange that there are 2 crowds in regards to Sterling Moore--those who like him a lot, and those who think he's garbage. I tend to lean more towards the 'liking him' side due to what I thought were some good ball skills at times.

However, I also think that he made some big mistakes and should not be put on a pedestal either.

We've seen worse from rookie CB's here (and vet CB's too), so maybe it will be something to build on? Maybe you are closer to being right and he will fizzle out quickly, I suppose only time will tell.

The Patriots defensive backfield was atrocious for the Patriots, and I was one hammering McCourty instead of trying to scapegoat the safeties like so many others, so a comparison with McCourty that you think favors Moore doesn't really impress me (I don't post this to belittle you or your take vis-a-vis McCourty, but merely to note that it's a bit of damning with faint praise in my eyes). However, since I really don't have a strong concern about a player fighting for the CB4/CB5 spot in April, I'm not going to worry overmuch.

Regardless of our individual takes on his game, he'll have an opportunity this offseason. We'll see if he takes advantage of it.

Regardless of our individual takes on his game, he'll have an opportunity this offseason. We'll see if he takes advantage of it.

Yep, I think it pretty much comes down to this. It's never a bad thing to see a 'no name' player compete for a spot, although I think that personally he's earned another year of looks myself.

We'll see if he can make some kind of progression or not, at the very least he should be able to be a depth guy who can play a couple games in case of injury.

At best he may show that a full offseason + increased knowledge of the system may possibly allow him to progress in a more substantial manner.

My experience is that the most overrated players are the guys that no one expected anything of that go out and put up a mediocre level of play.
Fans often make the jump that since they expected them to stink and they were decent, they are now big surprise, 'breakout' players, ready to leap into stardom. When in reality they were usually mediocre players who got a shot and didn't totally step on their dlck.
Edelman is one of these. Guyton was until people started to expect something from him. Russ Hochstein, Tom Ashworth, Dan Klecko, Myron Pryor, Randall Gay, Kyle Love, Sergio Brown (in 2010), Eric Moore and Dane Fletcher are a few others that come to mind, in varying degrees.

What you just said is one of the most insanely................

..... I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

The two biggest plays he had all season were:

1.) Hit own teammate resulting in a separated shoulder for McCourty

2.) Got beat by a guy who's been declining for years and is a stiff at this point in his career, but managed to knock the ball away just in time

Some day someone will have to really explain the love for Sterling Moore around here, because the kid sucked at football last season.

Giants vs Patriots Super Bowl Highlights 2012 espn - YouTube

Superbowl 46:

0:14 3rd and 11

3:27 3rd and 10

6:13 3rd and 10

Three drives ended.

I'm going to continue to stick up for Moore until opening day. (v. Deus and Andy) :D

Can you guys enlighten me? Where is Moore playing like sh*t. I constantly see Molden and Mccourty getting owned, is there a site I can see how many passes each CB gave up? I saw one by Moore in the whole highlight reel.

My experience is that the most overrated players are the guys that no one expected anything of that go out and put up a mediocre level of play.
Fans often make the jump that since they expected them to stink and they were decent, they are now big surprise, 'breakout' players, ready to leap into stardom. When in reality they were usually mediocre players who got a shot and didn't totally step on their dlck.
Edelman is one of these. Guyton was until people started to expect something from him. Russ Hochstein, Tom Ashworth, Dan Klecko, Myron Pryor, Randall Gay, Kyle Love, Sergio Brown (in 2010), Eric Moore and Dane Fletcher are a few others that come to mind, in varying degrees.

I do agree with this assessment. Edelman, in particular, I think is highly overrated. He is a good, but not great, punt returner. He is way below average at wide receiver, and if I hear one more person reference the 2009 season (!!!) Although he could fill in on defense, he is easily one of the worst defensive backs in the league. So, because a guy exceeded expectations as a seventh-rounder and can play offense at defense, at below average production on both- he is somehow good?

Moore is above average as a 4th CB IMO. He actually turns and looks for the ball which is a refreshing change of pace. I don't see how he doesn't make roster unless we bring in multiple secondary bodies.

I do agree with this assessment. Edelman, in particular, I think is highly overrated. He is a good, but not great, punt returner. He is way below average at wide receiver, and if I hear one more person reference the 2009 season (!!!) Although he could fill in on defense, he is easily one of the worst defensive backs in the league. So, because a guy exceeded expectations as a seventh-rounder and can play offense at defense, at below average production on both- he is somehow good?

Edelman has failed as a wr. The team should be able to find better DBs than him. I can see him getting cut. Versatility don't mean jack if you are bad at both spots.

Love on the other is a solid player. Overused out of necessity? Yes, but he deserves a spot.

I'm looking for the big body, speedy, and talented Ras-I Dowling to have a big year.

Another injury-shortened season would be devastating, only solidifying his reputation being brittle.

Glass IR Dowling might then become his new name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes