PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting facts about successful veteran receivers in NE

I found the OP quite interesting.

One thing I think the detractors naming all the "failures" here are missing is that a big part of the reason a guy like, say, Salas, didn't get anything, or a couple of the more recent rookies washed out, was because Brady Had Welker, Gronk and Ahern Capone on the field.

And before that, Welker and Moss.

Brady's going to throw the ball "X" number of times this year, no matter who's on the field. If the guy replacing Lloyd gets the same targets as Lloyd, will he be as successful as Lloyd was last year? That's really the only pertinent question.

You can't expect a Brandon Tate to catch 90/1000 if he's only getting 25 targets while Brady throws to his comfort zone receivers.

And that's the second part of this equation we just don't know yet: how many of those washouts were washouts because Brady was able to turn away from them after a few miscommunications, because he had other options? I went to a lot of games a couple of years ago, and spent a couple really watching Ocho. Maybe he was running the wrong routes, but he was getting a lot more separation than, say, Deion Branch, that's for sure.

I saw the same thing with Vereen a few times last year, where he was coming out of the backfield uncovered, but Brady was already locked in on Welker. I don't mean this as a criticism of Brady, at all, but the point stands that he's going to make those "X" throws to somebody, and this year, unlike the last several, there's an opportunity for 2 or 3 new guys to really step up.

I found the OP quite interesting.

One thing I think the detractors naming all the "failures" here are missing is that a big part of the reason a guy like, say, Salas, didn't get anything, or a couple of the more recent rookies washed out, was because Brady Had Welker, Gronk and Ahern Capone on the field.

And before that, Welker and Moss.

Brady's going to throw the ball "X" number of times this year, no matter who's on the field. If the guy replacing Lloyd gets the same targets as Lloyd, will he be as successful as Lloyd was last year? That's really the only pertinent question.

You can't expect a Brandon Tate to catch 90/1000 if he's only getting 25 targets while Brady throws to his comfort zone receivers.

And that's the second part of this equation we just don't know yet: how many of those washouts were washouts because Brady was able to turn away from them after a few miscommunications, because he had other options? I went to a lot of games a couple of years ago, and spent a couple really watching Ocho. Maybe he was running the wrong routes, but he was getting a lot more separation than, say, Deion Branch, that's for sure.

I saw the same thing with Vereen a few times last year, where he was coming out of the backfield uncovered, but Brady was already locked in on Welker. I don't mean this as a criticism of Brady, at all, but the point stands that he's going to make those "X" throws to somebody, and this year, unlike the last several, there's an opportunity for 2 or 3 new guys to really step up.

I agree, a lot of times it looked like Brady would force the ball to Branch or Welker when other guys were open. Maybe that is the way coverage dictated the ball should go, but really those guys would be covered and he would try to force the ball in anyway. I did not like it at all.

Your argument is flawed if you just disregard Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson, just as if you disregard following draft picks:

Bethel Johnson
P.K. Sam
Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Taylor Price
Jeremy Ebert

or other veterans that were brought in that didn't work out........

Donald Hayes
David Terrell
Torry Holt
Doug Gabriel

I agree that in some cases it is a matter of opportunity, but I think we've seen the other side where guys have struggled even when given an opportunity. That's where I think we'd rather have a proven commodity than to hope that someone has not produced due to lack of chances.

I do see what you are saying though.

Your argument is flawed if you just disregard Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson, just as if you disregard following draft picks:

Bethel Johnson
P.K. Sam
Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
Taylor Price
Jeremy Ebert

Don't forget Holt, that Eagles WR we traded for, the former Broncos WR we recently traded for an near immediately cut, Collie, Gonzalez, and the hundreds of other guys you don't remember because they were completely worthless.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back