PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Injury Report: Haynesworth, Two Others Downgraded to Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: No Haynesworth or Price for tom...

If he's behind Slater as a receiver only because he's injured, he's still behind Slater. However, even if you want to split hairs regarding injury and the depth chart, it's clear that Price is either WR5 or WR6, and will only play under circumstances favorable to having that many receivers active.

How is even that "clear"? How can we be so certain that Price is behind Ochocinco and Edelman? He wasn't in training camp, after all.

IMO nothing whatsoever is clear, because he hasn't been able to play. He might well end up a healthy scratch, he might end up WR #5, or -- maybe, just maybe -- he could be WR #3.

How is even that "clear"? How can we be so certain that Price is behind Ochocinco and Edelman? He wasn't in training camp, after all.

IMO nothing whatsoever is clear, because he hasn't been able to play. He might well end up a healthy scratch, he might end up WR #5, or -- maybe, just maybe -- he could be WR #3.

Wait. You're saying that it wasn't clear that Price wasn't behind Johnson in training camp AND you're going there with Edelman, who's Welker's backup, too?

No sense continuing this conversation beyond that.

Wait. You're saying that it wasn't clear that Price wasn't behind Johnson in training camp AND you're going there with Edelman, who's Welker's backup, too?

No sense continuing this conversation beyond that.

It depends what you mean by #3. Is it clear that Edelman's the better receiver? Yeah, I'd say so. Is it clear that Welker-Branch-Edelman makes a better trio on the field than Welker-Branch-Price? IMO that's a little more open to testing and debate.

It depends what you mean by #3. Is it clear that Edelman's the better receiver? Yeah, I'd say so. Is it clear that Welker-Branch-Edelman makes a better trio on the field than Welker-Branch-Price? IMO that's a little more open to testing and debate.

Edelman is Welker's backup. Johnson is Branch's backup, and the WR3 in 3 receiver sets. Price is competing with Johnson and Slater (And Branch, but that's really not a competition at this point), not with Edelman.

WR1/Slot R - Welker/Edelman
WR2 - Branch/Johnson/Slater/Price
WR3 - Johnson/Slater/Price

Last edited:

Edelman is Welker's backup. Johnson is Branch's backup, and the WR3 in 3 receiver sets. Price is competing with Johnson and Slater (And Branch, but that's really not a competition at this point), not with Edelman.

OK, now our terminology is a mess. You were the one who started out with a numbering system that appeared to be a ranking, calling Price either #5 or #6. That's presumably not a position/role designation, unless the Pats have introduced a new 6-wide formation. :) But now you're using numbers in a different way, to indicate roles in the offense.

How about this: Welker and Branch are the 2 WRs we expect to see on the field in 2 WR sets. Who do we expect to fill the extra WR roles when they play 3 or 4 wide (counting Hernandez as a TE)? You have ruled out a healthy Price filling one of those spots; I'm reserving judgment.

OK, now our terminology is a mess. You were the one who started out with a numbering system that appeared to be a ranking, calling Price either #5 or #6. That's presumably not a position/role designation, unless the Pats have introduced a new 6-wide formation. :) But now you're using numbers in a different way, to indicate roles in the offense.

I've been consistent in my usage ever since Edelman came aboard. His position in the WR hierarchy (WR4) is based solely upon his being the backup to Welker.

WR1
WR2
WR3 (either 3rd receiver or backup to non-Welker WR1/WR2, depending upon personnel in use)
WR4 (Edelman, backup to Welker)
WR5 Backup at whatever position needed
WR6 Backup at whatever position needed

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

How about this: Welker and Branch are the 2 WRs we expect to see on the field in 2 WR sets. Who do we expect to fill the extra WR roles when they play 3 or 4 wide (counting Hernandez as a TE)? You have ruled out a healthy Price filling one of those spots; I'm reserving judgment.

IMO, Johnson is the clear WR3 as of now, and he has been a top 3 receiver for the team since the day he arrived. Whether Price or Slater is the primary behind that is the only question.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has convinced me that since all the pink hats have taken over Red Sox Nation, the Felllowship of the Miserable have all jumped ship and become Patriots fans.

I have never seen so much complaining and player bashing on this site. Even when this team couldn't win home games and looked really shaky out of the gate in 2009, people weren't bashing this team as much. Two wins with double digit margin of victories in both and Brady off to a historic year and all people want to do is bash Taylor Price, Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, and Brandon Spikes.

Price is not a bust at this point and he is certainly not Chad Jackson Jr. as one poster claims. Jackson was a high second rounder that the Pats traded up for and was considered one of the best WRs in the draft. Price was a late 3rd rounder who people thought had tons of upside, but was a project. Right now Price has a problem getting on the active roster because Branch and Welker are too good, Edelman is the return guy, and Slater is the gunner. At this point, only Ochochinco would be the option to be deactivated and Belichick isn't going to do that at this point.

As for Hynesworth, you can't blame anyone for missing one or two games. More than that without a significant injury and then you can question the guy. I agree with the sentiment that there are a lot of people here who want the guy to fail just so they can biatch about it.

I am beginning to believe that there are too many "fans" here who deep down inside want the team to fail because they get more pleasure in biatching about this team than being able to enjoy their success. That was a large number of Red Sox fans before 2004. They enjoyed the idea of biatching about the curse than celebrating the World Series win.

All valid points!

I would like to add, however, that it is a very long season. Very long. And getting a week or 2 off in the course of the season for an established vet like Haynesworth would doubtless have strategic benefits down the road.

Just my 2¢....

You're really grasping at straws here.

I've been consistent in my usage ever since Edelman came aboard. His position in the WR hierarchy (WR4) is based solely upon his being the backup to Welker.

WR1
WR2
WR3 (either 3rd receiver or backup to non-Welker WR1/WR2, depending upon personnel in use)
WR4 (Edelman, backup to Welker)
WR5 Backup at whatever position needed
WR6 Backup at whatever position needed

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

I can't imagine how I ever could have been confused by that kind of consistency. ;)

WR1 Welker
WR2 Branch
WR3 Ocho
RET1 Edelman (is also the backup as slot receiver)
==============================
Slater is our top Ster, is a retruner, and an occasional WR target.
============================
I suppose that one could argue that Price may be #4 receiver, but to what end. Price would never be active unless there is an injury ot one of the other FOUR receivers. Price is our backup, inactive, bench-sitting WR.

I can't imagine how I ever could have been confused by that kind of consistency. ;)

It's pretty basic, and it's been talked about on this board for Edelman's entire career.

You're really grasping at straws here.

Yeah, probably so. I don't really expect to see Price playing ahead of those guys.

I just have this niggling feeling...during TC, it seemed to me that Brady was starting to show confidence in Price. And that, more than any draft position or 40 speed or even accomplishments elsewhere in the NFL, is what I look for in a Pats receiver.

****. Dowling is out.

The amount of injuries is fantastically dismal. I will be thoroughly impressed if they can pull out a W with the kind of injuries they're dealing with, but buffalo is "hot" and I'm not expecting it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call